"Red Star Rising" - C&C inspired sci-fi novel

MiG23

Its completely new and original  plot,  with new heros, characters, places, events and actions. The game universe of Red Alert 1/2, Tiberian Sun, Tiberian Dawn and Tiberium War serve as  inspiration for the novel. Its a alternative history, or a vision of  real  C&C  fan, how storyline to be done. I  hope that readers will enjoy reading the  novel.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Star-Rising-TERRIUM-Book-ebook/dp/B017RPY434/ref=sr_1_35?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1447272180&sr=1-35&refinements=p_n_date%3A1249101011&pebp=1447272191267&perid=04JS87FCVY90HPBXCNAR

wut. It's just literally the game universe with some names changed... that can't be legal :P

Its legally. Especially if you have previously communication with Electronic Arts. And they say they do not mind to be inspired by there game  universe ......And  if you do not claim that it is their product. And how do you know, what the story is, the characters and what happens, if you have not read the book ?

All right.

Don't say you didn't ask for this.

Actually, I'm part of a writing community, where I often edit and review stories written by others. I've seen varying degrees of quality, and from the preview pages on the Amazon website I read from this, it really isn't anywhere near what I'd dare to publish. And no, I do mean the actual story, not the intro. On a related note, purple prose or valid spelling and grammar don't automatically equal quality.

The basic principle of writing compelling stories is "Show, don't tell." Actions are a lot more interesting to read about than pages full of descriptions of the world situation, what kind of gear he has, what kind of tactics he would use, where he fricking buys his ammo, or what type of ammo it is... no one really cares about that. If you want them to care about it, try actually making it part of the story, rather than infodumping it on your readers. Right now, it's just pages full of... what, introduction? Don't introduce. "In medias res" that shit. Let readers SEE what kind of tactics he uses, let them SEE he has decent armour when under fire, let them SEE where he buys ammo, if it's really necessary, but overall, let them SEE the world he lives in as he goes through it. Let them see what kind of person your main character is through his actual actions.

The first two chapters are literally just infodump. Dreadfully boring infodump, with completely unnecessary detail which will most likely never become relevant in your story. You think it's necessary to show the world your main character lives in? It isn't. Let him curse Tiberium Terrium as he avoids poisoned zones, let him remark that the centre is still mostly free of it. Tell the world's story through your actual story. Make it a story about the character.

Its legally. Especially if you have previously communication with Electronic Arts. And they say they do not mind to be inspired by there game  universe ......And  if you do not claim that it is their product. And how do you know, what the story is, the characters and what happens, if you have not read the book ?

The Amazon description reads like that of a C&C3 novel. Also, there's a difference between being inspired by something and just copying someone's IP with a letter or two changed. :cncsmirk:

All right.

Don't say you didn't ask for this.

Actually, I'm part of a writing community, where I often edit and review stories written by others. I've seen varying degrees of quality, and from the preview pages on the Amazon website I read from this, it really isn't anywhere near what I'd dare to publish. And no, I do mean the actual story, not the intro. On a related note, purple prose or valid spelling and grammar don't automatically equal quality.

The basic principle of writing compelling stories is "Show, don't tell." Actions are a lot more interesting to read about than pages full of descriptions of the world situation, what kind of gear he has, what kind of tactics he would use, where he fricking buys his ammo, or what type of ammo it is... no one really cares about that. If you want them to care about it, try actually making it part of the story, rather than infodumping it on your readers. Right now, it's just pages full of... what, introduction? Don't introduce. "In medias res" that shit. Let readers SEE what kind of tactics he uses, let them SEE he has decent armour when under fire, let them SEE where he buys ammo, if it's really necessary, but overall, let them SEE the world he lives in as he goes through it. Let them see what kind of person your main character is through his actual actions.

The first two chapters are literally just infodump. Dreadfully boring infodump, with completely unnecessary detail which will most likely never become relevant in your story. You think it's necessary to show the world your main character lives in? It isn't. Let him curse Tiberium Terrium as he avoids poisoned zones, let him remark that the centre is still mostly free of it. Tell the world's story through your actual story. Make it a story about the character.

I carefully read your remarks ... And let me tell you something. This book is written for the fans of C&C, but not only for them! The book is  for all who love science fiction and adventures. This means that refers to the entire audience who loves to read sci-fi,  and not only for the gamers. And that means a deeper understanding of the universe for every reader who is not a player. Do you tell me, which places, storyline, characters are copied from the game and so on? I would be very curious?  Do you remind me  where in the game history of C&C action has developed in Sevastopol,  Black Sea, Caspian sea  and the Caucasus.It would be curious? Last time I checked, nowhere. Whether you like or not the book is your job. Everyone has a right to their own opinion......And you said it yourself ..you read the first two chapters....But not the whole novel.

Do you tell me, which places, storyline, characters are copied from the game and so on? I would be very curious?  Do you remind me  where in the game history of C&C action has developed in Sevastopol,  Black Sea, Caspian sea  and the Caucasus.It would be curious?

You clearly didn't understand what I was telling you. I never meant you should not explain the world. I said you should explain it through the story itself, as it is happening, not as chapters of nothing but infodump. :dry:

Let your main character, or the people around him, talk or think about this stuff when it is actually relevant to the story. It's nice to make a world and work it out to the finest detail, but that does not mean you need to actually give the reader all those details. Only give the readers the things that are relevant to the real story you want to tell.

And you said it yourself ..you read the first two chapters....But not the whole novel.

Yes, and they were dreadfully boring to read. Nothing happened in them. They were history classes to sit through. Having a bit of an introduction to the world as prologue is fine, but that really didn't warrant any of the deep and unnecessary detail you gave there. Like, in your book, you completely explain the state and situation of a city he's going into. In fact, you made a separate chapter just for that. Don't do that. Let the reader discover the city and the situation as you tell your story in it.

A lot of beginning authors make that mistake, though. They think that just because they create a wonderfully detailed world, that the reader absolutely has to know every single one of these details. Well, nope. They don't. People like to discover a world as they're travelling through it through your characters, through the story you're telling. You're ruining all that mystique and wonder right from the start. It's great to have these details so you, as author, can keep all your facts straight, but, you only have to show the readers the things that need to be shown in order to tell your story. And the best way to show that is through the story itself. In the end, inevitably, there will be interesting ideas, facts, anecdotes, locations etc that will end up completely unmentioned in the story... but that's okay. In fact, details can be mentioned in passing without ever getting fully explained. It makes readers wonder what more there is to your world, and that's good. You don't have to explain. It just shows your world's depth.