Infantry Class Identification Icons

sgtmyers88

I have noted that both Game & Mod developers, testers, and the general public have had issues with identifying infantry that look similar in design in the RTS field of games.

I worked with Mods such as Vietnam Glory Obscured which used Infantry Class Identification Icons to help with this issue.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/vietnam-glory-obscured/images/9th-armoured-platoon

Also, Cold War Crisis uses the exact same method, as you may know.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cold-war-crisis/images/mortar-pit

I first found those icons annoying to see as I thought it ruined the surrounding environment seeing a bunch of colored icons dancing around on the screen. I also realized it disabled the natural strategic effect of infantry hiding in the shrubbery or behind buildings as the floating icons were a dead giveaway. But I do see the benefits of this feature as it does help with specialized unit selection. I will be willing to attempt to remake this feature for Tiberian Dawn Redux even though I worry it will take away from the original C&C feeling. Also, if I can possibly make the icons visible to only the owning player, I will consider using it.

Feedback is appreciated...

Can't you do it like in C&C1? The infantry in C&C1 is pretty obviously colour-coded.

The minigunner has nothing special (except maybe the black rifle), the grenadier has a very visible blue grenade belt, the Bazooka has this giant light-grey bazooka, the engineer has the yellow hat, the flamer has white tanks and weapon, the chem-warrior has the same thing in green, plus the black gas mask.

I think if you make sure these colours catch the eye easily, it might work out well. I'd say, don't be afraid to give them bright colours.