Having a lot of trouble with enemy teams for CNC 95

Pooflinger630

Hello all! This is my first post, and I would like to say how cool this community is!

I am currently making a post-campaign campaign (basically the story surrounds what happens after Kane "dies" and the Brotherhood is plunged into a succession war). I used to be rather proficient on making maps for FA2, but it seems that TD and XCC are much different beasts. 

So right now, I am trying to make a couple teams to go after the player, and I want to base the teams off of a few factors, but the problem is, is that the AI is not producing units (Yes, the production trigger is done correctly, at least so i think. I will go ahead and post a screenie of it). All the AI does is make a harvester and then they just hoard infinite amounts of money.

So, the first thing I did was that I made a "time" trigger to "create team." I set the time to something reasonable like 60 and 90. The first time I did this, I had them make three Bazookas, a flame tank, and a buggy. Well, instead of following the intended directions, they would repeatedly build bazookas, that just stood at the Hand of Nod; the AI made no vehicles.

I fiddled around with the teams some more, and then bam, the AI completely stopped making units (besides the one extra harvester).

So, I tried to use a different approach. I deleted those triggers and started again, only this time, I would use a 'credits' trigger to 'reinforce.' Now, I had the team set to come in at 500 credits (Ideally, I would want them to come in every time the player had over 500 credits in reserve, but I'm not sure that's possible). Because I started the player off with 4500 credits, this team would automatically spawn in, which is something I didn't mind, as the player gets a fair-sized squad after the player initiates the 'destroy' triggers I have.

There's one more problem. After I put the 'reinforce' squad in, it seemed as if the 'destroy' trigger I had (for two adv. power plants) broke because the squad wouldn't show. I eventually had to delete the 'reinforce' trigger, and then my 'destroy' trigger worked like a charm again. I tried exactly copying a 'create team' trigger from a GDI level, and STILL to no avail.

I hope the screenshots provide enough information on what might the issue be. I have played around a LOT with the numbers and options (as you can tell, I've been at this for a while), but have had no success. The only time where the AI did something remotely helpful was when they were building infinitely many bazookas, which I guess adds a lot of challenge making a final assault on the base, but that's not what I'm going for!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_1.png.27a7a9cbb9880ec8612524f9d9d0e45e.png

Posting the ini would probably say a lot more. I don't know xcc editor's teamtypes editing layout. I do all team and trigger stuff in the ini.

I'd suggest you do the same, actually. C&C1 is a lot more readable in bare ini than the later games. Check this file out for the details:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/cctxt/ccmanual.txt

Well, without the .ini to look at, some things come to mind.  Most likely, I know that it's impossible for "badguy" to build medium tanks, so it's very likely that "goodguy" can't make flame tanks or buggies.  You could always try using a multi-house, which can build anything I think, although the score screen at the end won't register them as "kills."  Also make sure your WF or Airstrip is the proper house, as I always find myself accidentally putting stuff down as "neutral" since it's the same stupid gold color.

Also, the "credits" trigger doesn't count tiberium harvested, it only counts actual credits derived from crates, selling stuff, or starting cash.  (or the c-17 trick if you know what that is)

Other than that, the screenshots you provided look perfectly functional

definitely check out Nyerguds' ccmanual and read it carefully.  Additionally, I made some tutorial videos if you haven't seen them:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgVvRqoxkObvfNAz_I9PsvdZ3pafMDQZ4

And my best advice:

Stay determined, experiment a lot and don't give up!

I looked the INI over, and everything seems right, but what of the INI do you want to see?

I think the issue is the technology aspect, as it was just pointed out that goodguy will not be able to make light tanks. I have provided a screen of the base, and everything to my knowledge belongs to goodguy.

So even if goodguy met the technological requirements (airstrip, hand of nod, etc.), he can't make nod vehicles?

Im going to try to make a multihouse to see how that works.

So now I have a new issue: I got the teams to work and now they are happily attacking my base with full force. The goodguy to multi-house discussion seemed exactly to be the issue

However, crashes are starting to happen.

It won't even let me save.

Here is the error message I am getting. I will try to post the other error message I get when it crashes in-game without saving.

Glad I could clarify some problems for you.  However without the .ini (primarily teamtypes & triggers) the crash messages are useless to me.  Maybe Nyer knows what they mean, but I think it's doubtful.  For example, I once had a reinforcement crash the game because the # of teams was set to 1.  (don't do this for reinforcements! lol)  I'd suggest attaching the .ini in it's entirety.

So even if goodguy met the technological requirements (airstrip, hand of nod, etc.), he can't make nod vehicles?

Sadly, yes.  Something hardcoded into the game.  I wanted to make a "recapture your base back from Nod" mission where they attacked with mediums.  Just wasn't possible (without reinforcements or probably pre-placed units.  I don't like using multi-houses, personally.  I want my kill-count to be PERFECT! lol

Function: TeamClass::Recruit

Instruction: call dword ptr [ecx]

So yeah, not sure what else to say about that. It would suggest an error in your teamtype, though.

Yeah, then my money is on a reinforcement having "# of teams set to 1," since, iirc, I had a mission where that made the AI build the team automatically and when it was reinforced (making the existing # of teams on the map 2) my game crashed.  Again, it's all speculation without the .ini ;)

So after some tinkering, I seemed to have concluded that size matters...with regards to teamtypes. Now, I know that might not be true, considering it doesn't make a lot of sense, but after dividing one of my teams into two smaller teams working under the same parameters, it seemed to work out just fine.

Was my team too big? I'm not too sure, but the map editor seemed to think so, and it ruined the map. Two smaller teams made the map happy again.

Innuendo is fun.

Thanks guys for your input, because now i have what appears to be a fully functioning single player map! Still have to make a lot of balancing tweaks to it, but as far as the technical aspect goes, everything works just fine.

We should play some TD some time! I've taken some notes from your vids Matt, and I killed the first two guys i played.

So after some tinkering, I seemed to have concluded that size matters...with regards to teamtypes.

Oh for sure!  I thought I had mentioned it in my tutorials, but I do no more than 5 inf. or 5 units in any team.  I even found that mixing up the combinaions (somehow 5 grenadiers got stuck/twitchy, but not 2 minigunners & 3 grens?-- just an off the top of the head example) assisted a lot.  mixes of units and infantry require more testing, however.  In my map "on the down low" I got teams of 8 grens to consistently attack , but some would get stuck in-base occasionally.  Experimenting and a refusal to accept the limitations of the game are key!

We should play some TD some time! I've taken some notes from your vids Matt, and I killed the first two guys i played.

That's fuckin awesome!  I wish I could play more these days, but I'm pretty busy.  Friday/Saturday 12am-6am PST is about the only time I might be around-- at least for the foreseeable future.  Love to get a vid of me trouncing you--- or better yet me getting trounced by you!  Either way I'm super stoked there's TD fanatics other than me, jacko, nyer, white. cn2mc, etc around! Just watch out for chem though, he has Ebola! XD