Fixing weird colors on Windows Vista/7

pichorra

Question

Well, nobody does this topic, so, i want create it.

If you are running windows vista/7 you must perceived the "Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn" and "Command & Conquer Red Alert 1" have colors problems on that operational system, the solution is bellow:

Command & Conquer Gold

This is an actual fix for the color issue, rather than the workarounds we've been forced to deal with so far. It's based on an identical fix for StarCraft by warlord_7. You need to be using Nyerguds's 1.06c r1f1 patch for this. Open Notepad and paste whichever one of these corresponds to the version of Windows 7 you're running:

32-bit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

64-bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold]
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

File -> Save, choose "All Files" from the "Save As" type dropdown menu, and save it with the extension ".reg". Then, double click on the .reg file you made, confirm that you want to add the key, and give the game a try. The intro video may still have the wrong colors (this seems random, sometimes it's fine, usually it's not), but the game and the rest of the videos will be fine. If you have your wallpaper set to slide show, you'll still get messed up colors when your wallpaper changes. This will last until the end of any video that was playing, but will only cause a brief flicker in the actual game.

Red Alert 95

This is an actual fix for the color issue, rather than the workarounds we've been forced to deal with so far. It's based on an identical fix for StarCraft by warlord_7. You need to be using the v3.03e patch for this. Open Notepad and paste whichever one of these corresponds to the version of Windows 7 you're running:

32-bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Red Alert 95]
"Name"="ra95.dat"
"ID"=hex:cb,58,cb,36

64-bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Red Alert 95]
"Name"="ra95.dat"
"ID"=hex:cb,58,cb,36

File -> Save, choose "All Files" from the "Save As" type dropdown menu, and save it with the extension ".reg". Then, double click on the .reg file you made, confirm that you want to add the key, and give the game a try. The intro video may still have the wrong colors (this seems random, sometimes it's fine, usually it's not), but the game and the rest of the videos will be fine. If you have your wallpaper set to slide show, you'll still get messed up colors when your wallpaper changes. This will last until the end of any video that was playing, but will only cause a brief flicker in the actual game.

(And for the record, no, I have no idea what that flag actually does or what others are available. I only got it from the StarCraft fix, which itself seems to have been based on existing SC fixes already in the registry. I've searched, but I can't find any information on these flags.)

Another way to "fixing" it (it is not a fix, it is a workarrond).

Simply download This file, extract into the game directory (remember, it is only compatible with C&C!), and run it. But i do not recomend doing it by this way, it is the more messy and the unsecure one, only do this if THE REG. FIX IS NOT WORKING!

[spellchecked by Nyerguds. And FYI, what this does is putting the game in a special DirectX compatibility mode ;)]

exkillcnc.zip

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Crap.  Not sure what's going on.  Would it usually complain if you didn't put the config file in there?  I can't tell if it's even processing that ddraw.dll since even when I delete the config, it doesn't complain or produce some default config when running the game.

If I make a blank ddraw.dll file, the game does pick it up and an error results.  So, maybe it is picking up this other dll but it's just not doing anything or there's an error and it's unloading or something.

I removed the registry keys, but still no luck.  I know the game picks up anything named ddraw.dll, since if I put any type of file named that it will give an error.  But, the one you sent just doesn't seem to have any effect.  I'm testing on a system where the registry colorfix does work ok, so I would figure this dll would work too.  I just wish I knew why the registry fix doesn't work for some people who have the same OS and same version of DirectX.  I'm thinking it must be related to certain video cards somehow or the drivers.  My friend has a GTX 750 and Windows Vista and no fix seems to work (registry, explorer, dll).  If I could find someone with a similar system that it works for, I'll know it's something software related still, which is good news. 

FIXED IT. I try the reg thing and i did the bat with the explorer killer and it did`t work, finally i found the solution.

"Right click the desktop and choose 'screen res'. Leave that window open.

Fire up the game."

I can't believe it was that easy.

Sorry for my language, Cheers from Argentina!