Which version of Tiberian Sun is better: Tore or Rampastring?

zocom7

Although the official download to Tiberian Sun in CNCNet is through Tore's version (which is a beta), there's also a Rampstring version downloadable in Moddb. Now I am confused which version is better and more stable.

The Tore version I downloaded and tried is unstable on loading the game.... but at least it can play movie and sound files from the CD retail version and it also comes with extras and a config tool.

The one in Moddb in 2014 was released by Horsemen and that was a stable version (but I found out that was The First Decade version of Tsun and it cannot load movies from the CD retail version): http://www.moddb.com/games/cc-tiberian-sun/downloads/tiberian-sun-with-firestorm-full-game

The one recently in Moddb is more frequently updated with fixes and calls it a client (but I am not sure if that version is TFD or the original): http://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-client/downloads/tiberian-sun-client-v408

The one recently in Moddb is more frequently updated with fixes and calls it a client (but I am not sure if that version is TFD or the original): http://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-client/downloads/tiberian-sun-client-v408

It's heavily modified to the point that it can't really be called either.

The strength of my client is that it's easier to mod and has much stronger capabilities for modding than the official CnCNet version. If you don't care about modding and just want to play the original game, the official version might be somewhat more problem-free although my client does the job as well.

Hello Rampa!

What is your position on allowing XmeXyou customize a special version of your client for the TS Community?

Often it comes up that your client might be easier for what we keep asking Funky for and I am just wondering your thoughts on this!

I'd have nothing against it. I'd actually like it if someone else started handling the TS client, because I prefer spending my time on my mod projects and the shared client code instead.

However I started working on an entirely new client some 2 months ago. It's gonna be far better in every way and it'll replace the current one (hopefully) around late summer. So, I wouldn't advise anyone to modify my client until the new version is ready.

I have an issue with your version of Tsun, Rampastring. It appears you are using Dawn of the Tiberian Age mod for Tsun.

The Tsun client works smoothly, but when I put the movie files from the CD retail version, the game crashed. By the way, where I can get your modified movie files for your version of Tsun to make it work ingame? Need a downloadable link though for a modded version and I also need to know what movie files are named as.

It appears you are using Dawn of the Tiberian Age mod for Tsun.

The client used is indeed the same as DTA's client.

The Tsun client works smoothly, but when I put the movie files from the CD retail version, the game crashed.

That's because my version isn't compatible with the game's original MIX files.

By the way, where I can get your modified movie files for your version of Tsun to make it work ingame?

Open the client, go to Options and then Components (top-right). You can download all the movies and music there.

@ Rampa:

That is good to know!

We would of course want to keep the game play un-modified other than glitch patches and such, this is possible with your client?

It would be really nice to see Xme be able to go to town on a client for TS.

With that said... Funky's client is getting more nice all the time and has a ton of really nice features

We would of course want to keep the game play un-modified other than glitch patches and such, this is possible with your client?

My client (both old and the upcoming new one) doesn't affect the gameplay at all, so yeah, it's possible.

With that said... Funky's client is getting more nice all the time and has a ton of really nice features

Funky's client has traditionally had more "competitive" features like the RA gold medals, peer-to-peer support, ladder support etc. that my client lacks. I've focused on greater mod support and a more in-game like UI and feel.

If there's any specific features in Funky's client that you miss in my client though, I could consider implementing them.

The Tore version I downloaded and tried is unstable on loading the game.... but at least it can play movie and sound files from the CD retail version and it also comes with extras and a config tool.

The one in Moddb in 2014 was released by Horsemen and that was a stable version (but I found out that was The First Decade version of Tsun and it cannot load movies from the CD retail version): http://www.moddb.com/games/cc-tiberian-sun/downloads/tiberian-sun-with-firestorm-full-game

Heh. The one on Moddb uploaded by Horsemen from what I can tell is my old TS installer based upon the freeware version of TS from around 2010.

Can you describe what you mean with "unstable on loading the game"?

As for which one is best. I keep mine so close to a standard TS install as possible with everything such as the config program and launcher being entirely optional. Rampas client on the other hand is all custom and requires the use of his client, which in turn creates a more coherent experience and some cool features, but prevents choice of things like what service you want to play through and such.