Important notice about CnCNet legacy services

Grant

The following legacy services have been discontinued with immediate effect.

• CnCNet 4
  • Renegade Master Server

For the history of previous CnCNet versions you can read here. If you are wanting to continue the Renegade Master server with your own website, you should contact @hifi on #gamegurge IRC

I am pretty sure i am going to be asking on behalf of lots of people when i ask why?

It's no longer sustainable to be maintaining/supporting legacy services, it's costs and time that can be served towards newer features in CnCNet 5.

Anyone using CnCNet 4 such as Mods, have had months of notice/adequate time in the IRC chat to move over to CnCNet 5 (Or are in the process of doing so).

The renegade-listing can be transferred and hosted by a third party, whoever wishes to host can contact as per original post details.

This saddens alot of us still Playing Renegade, and causes issues as half of our players left cannot play/don't know how.

I'm trying to contact hifi on IRC, but nothing yet.  Can you please get him in touch with me somehow?

I messaged hifi about getting a copy of the Renegade master server.

Is there anyway you could temporarily bring it back up while we get the replacement online? It's going to take a little time to get it all setup and switched over and meanwhile the majority of Renegade's players aren't going to be able to play.

Trojan and myself run the 2nd to last Renegade community called Rencorner(Whitedragon is our dev, Manuel is the Admin). Is there anyway that both(or any other community that may come along after us all) Rencorner and MPF can chip in to pay you guys to keep hosting it? If it's cheap enough, I'd pay you up a year, MPF can pay the next year.

I've already heard Cronus will be running it on his servers, and I will not trust that guy with anything, let alone in control of anything Renegade related.

There's only one way to make Renegade future proof: is to have it out of everyone's hands. Something other than the current arrangement is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Trojan and myself run the 2nd to last Renegade community called Rencorner(Whitedragon is our dev, Manuel is the Admin). Is there anyway that both(or any other community that may come along after us all) Rencorner and MPF can chip in to pay you guys to keep hosting it? If it's cheap enough, I'd pay you up a year, MPF can pay the next year.

I've already heard Cronus will be running it on his servers, and I will not trust that guy with anything, let alone in control of anything Renegade related.

There's only one way to make Renegade future proof: is to have it out of everyone's hands. Something other than the current arrangement is needed.

It wasn't really about resources or money, we could have run it forever but it didn't really give us back anything as all I read was complaints on renforums that it was down for half a day a few times. I was pretty sure that someone in your community cares enough and would want to step up and start hosting it and there were.

renlist.cncnet.org now points back to master-gsa.renlist.n00b.hk which is the official master server alias for RenList and it has been reassigned. The source was also released on CnCNet GitHub for inspection. It's not a good implementation by any means but could work as a reference for someone to reimplement it in a better way.

In my opinion, keeping the GameSpy master alive is a waste of time and should be replaced by a custom master server implementation by the community.

https://github.com/CnCNet/renmaster

• 1 month later...

Idiot.  XD Lets face it if cronus wanted to stop you listing he would do. Why would he tho, we actually need some competition.

Be grateful he offered to host it in the first place.  :dry:

• 2 months later...

Do you guys have personal messaging turned off? Here and Xwis is the same that way.

http://i.imgur.com/9ywk80Y.jpg

Is there any reason why I was worried about this whole fiasco? Gee, it might be the "ran by me" bullshit.

Bleh. If it's ever a problem, I'll pay for a separate server with ddos protection.

Otherwise stop causing more drama please.

Thanks, good bye.

P.S. Stop listening to dblaney. He's been spreading lies and stole maps and claiming them as his/their own despite the foundation MPF provided. I know you have a personal beef with Cronus, but stop and think about the damage dblaney can do now that he has TT developer access. If he's stolen code (our code base) before, don't you think he's capable of stealing TT's? Do you remember that TT's source was leaked a couple years ago? Perhaps making his own changes or even going rogue and making a cheat that bypasses the anti-cheat system? Or even rendering both RC and MPF's servers dead with some code change?

I do not believe I am speaking to any of you from MPF community(r3surr3Kt|x| / Genesis2001) , I am speaking to the guys here, who would not listen back then.

Funny how the gamespy stuff was given to WhiteDragon, WhiteDragon threw it on Cronus' servers...now it's magically "ran by me".

Why does MPF lag a lot more like RenCorner when I get 30ms ping more on RenCorner than MPF? WTF

i get like no lag on RenCorner and on MPF I keep getting pulled around by lag, especially when jumping.

Although this is unrelated to the current topic, we were running an old bandtest.dll version so maybe that's what was causing the lag. If you haven't tried recently (within the last week or so), try again. It /should/ be better.

Also, @shaitan, I knew this could be an issue and I offered WD (back when this topic was first posted) to pay for a separate server. WD did not feel it was necessary and that it could be hosted on one of MPF's servers at the moment.