TDR Behind The Scenes

sgtmyers88

(moved from the v1.4 discussion thread)

TDR BEHIND THE SCENES:

AI SCRIPTING:

One thing I have learned from modding these games is the sometimes horrific task of making an AI that wont be super easy and boring but yet one that wont lag or crash the game or be stupidly impossible to beat. This is the general idea of how all this works and what goes on behind the scenes when I mention the meticulous tweaking that is involved in order to give the players of C&C Tiberian Dawn Redux a respectable Skirmish and Campaign AI system to fight against. Again, developing something like this is not for the faint of heart and its taken me years of modding this game to fully come to understand it. But even today it can still provide a lot of headaches which was one of the factors that had slowed progress on the mod with my limited time to invest in completing the mission campaigns unfortunately since a custom tailored AI goes into each and every campaign mission.

TDR_BTS_AI_Scripting.jpg

LEVEL DESIGN:

Sometimes it helps to go back to the source material itself for inspiration. When designing the existing campaign missions, a great amount of work goes into every map in order to attain the best possible accuracy and detail. On the left is an image layout of the original C&C95 map of the 5th Nod Campaign Mission and then the recreated version from the mod on the right rendered in the C&C Generals World Builder. There is only one person currently doing all this work, which is myself. Its not for the faint of heart. Currently there are 20 playable campaign missions in total but 12 more are needed to complete the campaigns.

TDR_BTS_Level_Design.jpg

TDR Behind the Scenes: Custom Cinematics

"Ambush"

http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-tiberian-dawn-redux/videos/unused-tdr-cutscene-ambush

I recently went thru the archives to find this forgotten video clip for the Mod. This was made sometime in late 2009 or early 2010. It was part of a series of tests to possibly see if it would be feasible to make in-game cutscenes in the style of C&C Generals to use with the campaign missions in Tiberian Dawn Redux. Enjoy!