Slow development

Blade

Development has been slowed down recently due to real life issues as we've not been able to put as much time into the project. We have most of the path finding initial implementation done, but there is a fair amount to do to hook up assigning the movement to a unit and it following it yet.

We've also done a bit of work to split the project into game specific stuff and stuff that could be reused in future projects to develop other Westwood game clones as it seems a lot of the low level stuff was reused among them.

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough, that's usually how such ambitious projects with just 1 or 2 developers go.

It's also nothing to be ashamed about. Real-life comes first. I'm sure that when the time comes you two will have the motivation to get right back on track and surprise us with some new awesome screenshots of your progress!

Still, my utmost respect to you two guys for rolling this in C++!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is still ticking along, most of the path finding code has provisional implementations, we are just fleshing out the unit logic associated with movement so we can do some testing and debugging of it.

The lib we have split off from the project we plan to develop into what will eventually be an open implementation of what the wwvegas lib contained and could form a base for other Westwood related game reimplementation projects.

Path finding has to be the hardest thing you will possibly have to implement (lots of mathemagics)! And if you get that pat down you're a king (in my own mind).

Are you good at vector math?

P. S.: I didn't know Westwood was based in Las Vegas!

Fair enough, that's usually how such ambitious projects with just 1 or 2 developers go.

It's also nothing to be ashamed about. Real-life comes first. I'm sure that when the time comes you two will have the motivation to get right back on track and surprise us with some new awesome screenshots of your progress!

Still, my utmost respect to you two guys for rolling this in C++!

Ditto - big props.

Path finding has to be the hardest thing you will possibly have to implement (lots of mathemagics)! And if you get that pat down you're a king (in my own mind).

Are you good at vector math?

P. S.: I didn't know Westwood was based in Las Vegas!

Depends what you mean by good, Vector math is just trigonometry IIRC which I've not done extensively since high school physics, but I understand the principles fairly well.

Any roadmap for open-sourcing the code? Considering even the ASM patches we're doing now has random people contributing, including people with no prior asm/debugging/RE eperience?

A week back the OpenRCT2 team committed the last reverse engineered RCT2 code and they no longer depend on the RCT2 executable for code data. And they have had tons of random people contributing with reverse engineering.

Depends what you mean by good, Vector math is just trigonometry IIRC which I've not done extensively since high school physics, but I understand the principles fairly well.

Umm, no, no and no. I said "math", didn't I?!  :P

I'm talkin' 'bout algebraic geometry, in particular analytic geometry and linear algebra (not to be confused with elementary algebra).

• 2 months later...

Development has been slowed down recently due to real life issues as we've not been able to put as much time into the project. We have most of the path finding initial implementation done, but there is a fair amount to do to hook up assigning the movement to a unit and it following it yet.

We've also done a bit of work to split the project into game specific stuff and stuff that could be reused in future projects to develop other Westwood game clones as it seems a lot of the low level stuff was reused among them.

Are you looking for more devs? I'm interested in contributing to this project in my free time. Do you have any communication channel such as IRC?

• 1 month later...