Tiberian Sun runs poorly / choppy.

Guest ahrenjb

Question

Guest ahrenjb

I've installed and patched Tiberian Sun, however, when I attempt to play a skirmish, my performance is extremely poor.

It starts off running smoothly, but quickly degenerates to only moving in bursts, laggy mouse control, and feels like trying to play the game on slow, but less smoothly.

I'm running at 1366x768, but the resolution isn't the problem as I had the same issue at 800x600. I tried using compatibility mode for Win2k, no change.

Computer specs are as follows:

Windows Vista 64-bit

4GB RAM

Core 2 Duo @ 2.26ghz

nVidia 9800M 512MB

I can see no reason that the game should be performing poorly, but it's nearly unplayable. When I'm in game, my CPU runs at 50-65%. This is crazy. Someone has to have had this issue before, and it's probably an easy fix. Any insights?

7 answers to this question

I've got this problem too, Tiberian Sun seems to hate mobile versions of the Nvidia 9000 series. I've tried every possible solution on my graphics card a 9600M, but nothing works.

Downloading this and extract it to your TS folder. It may solve your problem, but for me it gives me a black screen.

Guest ahrenjb

The DLL doesn't work for me either, just gives a black screen.

How do I go about disabling directdraw?

Cheese: Noway!, if you do that, TS will ever starts!.

the best solution i can give to you is using a Virtual Machine for this. you can install VMWare player, then, install Windows XP in a VMWare, and be happy.  :)

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_player/3_0

also, i have this issue too in my old computer, but i think it is because it is... well... VERY VERY OLD (i'm talking about a Cyrix 250mhz and a Trio64v+)

Cheese: Noway!, if you do that, TS will ever starts!.

the best solution i can give to you is using a Virtual Machine for this. you can install VMWare player, then, install Windows XP in a VMWare, and be happy.  :)

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_player/3_0

also, i have this issue too in my old computer, but i think it is because it is... well... VERY VERY OLD (i'm talking about a Cyrix 250mhz and a Trio64v+)

You're running a little close to the system requirements there, no wonder it's choppy.

In response to the thread, I run Windows 7 x64, An overclocked Intel i7 920, 6GB of DDR3 and a Radeon 5770. TS plays fine for me. Try disabling AV software whilst you plat or something. I reckon it's a software issue because in my experience TS has never thrown a hissy-fit about hardware.