Game crashes at launch using the launcher

Zaptagious

Hi, I have a problem with Red Alert. When I use the launcher by FunkyFr3sh (https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/1165-how-to-install-red-alert-1-on-windows-xp-vista-7-8-10-linux-mac-32-64bit/) no matter the settings i put in the game will just crash at start saying 

"Command & Conquer: Red Alert just crashed!
A crash dump file with the name 'ra95crash.dmp' has been saved.
Give it to Iran for debugging, thanks."

I uploaded the file here: https://ufile.io/xf6ps

I'm using the C&C Ultimate Collection Origin version. I've tried both methods of patching current installation and install it fresh through the launcher thingy. No workie.

Would be appreciative for help.

Crash is related to rendering, can you please check if there are any compatibility modes enabled for ra95.exe, if that's the case, disable all of them.

If it still doesn't work, go into the Red Alert config program and try to tick the OpenGL checkbox and then retry.

If it still doesn't work, download the latest "DDrawCompat - experimental/test release" and extract the ddraw.zip into your game folder, if it asks you to override files, click yes.

DDrawCompat: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

Direct link to file: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases/download/experimental/ddraw.zip

Please report back if you got it working (or not)!

Crash is related to rendering, can you please check if there are any compatibility modes enabled for ra95.exe, if that's the case, disable all of them.

19 minutes ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Crash is related to rendering, can you please check if there are any compatibility modes enabled for ra95.exe, if that's the case, disable all of them.

Thanks, that did it!

• 9 months later...
On 11/17/2017 at 5:42 PM, Zaptagious said:

Crash is related to rendering, can you please check if there are any compatibility modes enabled for ra95.exe, if that's the case, disable all of them.

Thanks, that did it!

I am having a similar issue. The Modlauncher crashes as soon as I click to start. How do you check for/disable compatibility modes? Thank you! 

3 hours ago, rdesan said:

I am having a similar issue. The Modlauncher crashes as soon as I click to start. How do you check for/disable compatibility modes? Thank you! 

Do you also get the same error message? 

"Command & Conquer: Red Alert just crashed!
A crash dump file with the name 'ra95crash.dmp' has been saved.
Give it to Iran for debugging, thanks."

Open your windows explorer and go to c:/Games/CnCNet/

In there should be your red alert folder, please attach the file ra95crash.dmp here in the forums to your next post

UPDATE: I've got the ModLauncher to run but it doesnt seem to be working properly. I think the problem is that I just don't know how to install a MOD to the game. The MOD is called BalancedWarfare, and I've dropped it in the game directory, but I dont think its working. Just a weird side note: The Modlauncher, unlike the ra95.exe or the ra95p.exe (I dont know the difference), doesnt have Greece, Turkey, etc, and the scroll rate is like extremely fast. So its like it just isnt working properly in addition to not playing the MOD. Sorry for the long post, thanks so much for any help. :)

The modlauncher was meant to be used for very old mods only, such as the ones at ra.afraid.org. It's the best to always try ra95p.exe first and see if it works since this is the latest version with high res patch, scroll speed limiter and a lot other patches.

Usually mods contain some .mix files and/or a rules.ini file. You just have to extract the archive into the game folder and it should work fine.