Backup tools (win 7)

Revolutionary

Question

(i think this is the best place to ask this, move it if it isnt)

Well ive got my hands on this rather nice new acer netbook and in preperation set up a partition on my 1TB HD i use on my gaming pc in order to back up the contence on my netbook since it has no disk drive (with the hope to utilise an older pc destined for the skip to use as a basic home server for backup and sharing some documents, like my best of beta files which are spread far and inbetween several computers having never been reunited for various reasons)

Windows 7 however has blow my plan out of the water, unlike in vista, the "home editions" do not support backing up to a network (even one using windows server) the response for microsoft? buy the required hardware or upgrade windows. I realy dont have the money to do so and refuse to pay for windows 7 outright, this crappy starter version of 7 was bundled with my netbook.

I was wondering does any one know of any good software which would allow me to create a image of my harddrive and save it to a network location?

So far i have had no luck with COMODO backup and have tried a few others with no luck.

Thanks in advance, Revolutionary

5 answers to this question

if i Understeanded corectly, You want to use an old computer to make a file server to store files created by your netbook...

My Solution: Install Linux on it, and install & configure the SAMBA, you can google for how to do that.

Another Solution: Torrent an Windows XP copy, burn it and install, but it is piracy.

Your choise.

I want to do this (change OS) but i still however wish to backup windows for warrenty reasons and some of the acer software is worth keeping(i also have a partition with android OS on it which is no real use to me at all)

Unless i can find some windows software which will allow me to back it up before i install a new OS my cheapest option is going to be getting a sata/ide to usb converter so i can physical attach one of my HD's or DvD/CD drives

You can install Ubuntu wihout unnistalling any OS, just use GParted to "stole" somes gigabytes (i run ubuntu fine with 10 Gb on it, but i recommend at least, 20Gb), install a small SWAP partigion, and it is done. Ubuntu installs GRUB2, so you can boot any OS just restarting the computer and select it in the list.

i've heard fedora is an good Linux distribution too, but i never tested it yet.

Both linux distributions supports FATx, EXTx, NTFS and other also not so knowed filesystems

Ill look in to doing that.

(i supose ill need one which is compatiable with NTFS and FAT32, i belive it isnt because they are less known but there are legal issues attached to these filesystems)

Ive used ubuntu netbook edition a bit, i might download proper ubuntu and fedora to give them a cick test in virtual machine. I have been using open suse a bit and one of the smaller striped (cant remember which one) down distros but not enough to fully understand what they can and cant do