C&C RA poor Performance

Hyperion

ok, i think i get it now :) make sense to me. Unfortunately i don´t have any "training" or deeper knowlegde about this stuff. My strategy is more like try - test - retry, or, if none of those works, try google :P

i could try and testing around withing the exe file, but i rather ask you guys, the "professionals" :)

Just for everybody knows: There are a similar error in Windows 95 and 98FE... Windows won't install if you part the HD EXACTLY as 10GB, 20GB... (that's why FDISK always part the disk like 9,98gb). 98SE don't have this issue... Maybe this error was Windows from that time fault?

And there still are the Memory issue if you have more than 1gb on those system (if you have 1024mb, it will read 24mb :P )

No, the core of the problem is that the game itself doesn't process the full value. Windows gives the correct full one, the game only looks at the lowest cut-off piece of it.

If you want to "blame" anything, blame our current >2GB hard disks :P

By the way, hifi found out that his ddraw dll was horribly slow simply because of the compiler he used to make the program. He now recompiled it with a different compiler, and the game plays amazingly smoothly with it now :)

By the way, hifi found out that his ddraw dll was horribly slow simply because of the compiler he used to make the program. He now recompiled it with a different compiler, and the game plays amazingly smoothly with it now

okay, nice to hear :)

well, i could only hope for the right numbers of hard disk space, right? :/

yeah, or for Hyper to get off his arse and release at least something resembling a patch.

Has cnchyper released anything for ra1 at all? I have been reading about his work for years now, but have not been able to find any patch, update or hotfix anywhere online.

nope, he's mostly researching... but I do understand his situation. It's hard to release something if there's still bugs in it which you know of but haven't had time to fix. And then there's the fact he seems hesitant to release a patch out of fear it won't be as well-accepted as mine because he never got the hi-res working in RA.