Any features of Iran's additional hacks make it into the official CnCNet RA95.exe?

Eisengeist

Back when he figured out how to customize paratrooper drops in maps, I encountered a glitch with saving and loading a skirmish game where a flame tower was dropped.   So he quickly made a modified RA95.exe where you can purposely set up maps to paradrop buildings.   I think some buildings still couldn't dropped and another would drop instead though.

Then there was another experimental exe I think also by him where you could actually add more units instead of just modifying existing ones.

Any of these or others make it into the regular RA95.exe, in about the last five years?   Of course with the possibilities opened up by redalert.dll being open source, things could go anywhere (much like the Doom source port/mod scene).

Also, in some maps' rules I tried changing the 500 vehicle/100 ship caps to 300/300, but it wouldn't work and the only way you could get more than 100 ships in a map is by paradropping them (which has to be against landable beach to work for ships).   Wondering if there's been any development with that.   Obviously if a couple players quick build about 40 ships, the others are up ****'s Creek.

Edited by Eisengeist

There have been no development on those because adding new units could never work properly as too much is hard-coded.

Work is being done to make the open-source Red Alert source code release fully functional to build as a standalone game and then stuff like that will be easy to add (and to also merge TD logic with RA so only one code base is needed),

• Upvote 1

A merged TD and RA would be incredible.   Much like the ZDoom source ports with Decorate and/or Zscript allow you to merge Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife things easily together at once (with some work).

I tried my crossover maps with the remaster that use TD unit gfx provided by CnCNet's spawn.mix.   Unfortunately in HD mode the changed units appeared as white boxes and in regular view they appeared unchanged.   Bummer they didn't provide that capability out of the box, though mods surely make more possible.   Also had some other weird problems but managed to play them some.

Funny, in XS-BreakOwnzTheseCrates?, ore trucks changed to flame tanks did appear as blurry flame tanks in HD mode since RA1 actually always did contain the flame tank gfx, but stayed looking like ore trucks in classic mode.   Unfortunately my custom msgs for sinking ships appeared as other msgs or as Objective # complete.  So apparently Image= is simply disabled for classic view.

Edited by Eisengeist
  • Upvote 1

Damn, I can't get Red Dawn 2014 to work my newer Win 10 computer.   I try to run ra95.exe or run from the launcher and I see the windows loading cursor a bit and then nothing happens.   Sometimes it just runs a little in the background under processes (but not applications running).  It was working fine on my older Win 7 computer.

The current CnCNet RA1 works fine though.   Anyone have some tips to get Red Dawn working, possibly mixing the installations?

13 minutes ago, Eisengeist said:

Damn, I can't get Red Dawn 2014 to work my newer Win 10 computer.   I try to run ra95.exe or run from the launcher and I see the windows loading cursor a bit and then nothing happens.   Sometimes it just runs a little in the background under processes (but not applications running).  It was working fine on my older Win 7 computer.

The current CnCNet RA1 works fine though.   Anyone have some tips to get Red Dawn working, possibly mixing the installations?

If there is a file named wsock32.dll in the game folder then just delete it and it should work. 

If it still doesn't work then copy ddraw.dll, ddraw.ini and the two config programs from your ra folder over to your red dawn folder

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2020 at 5:39 PM, Eisengeist said:

A merged TD and RA would be incredible.   Much like the ZDoom source ports with Decorate and/or Zscript allow you to merge Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife things easily together at once (with some work).

I tried my crossover maps with the remaster that use TD unit gfx provided by CnCNet's spawn.mix.   Unfortunately in HD mode the changed units appeared as white boxes and in regular view they appeared unchanged.   Bummer they didn't provide that capability out of the box, though mods surely make more possible.   Also had some other weird problems but managed to play them some.

Funny, in XS-BreakOwnzTheseCrates?, ore trucks changed to flame tanks did appear as blurry flame tanks in HD mode since RA1 actually always did contain the flame tank gfx, but stayed looking like ore trucks in classic mode.   Unfortunately my custom msgs for sinking ships appeared as other msgs or as Objective # complete.  So apparently Image= is simply disabled for classic view.

I've been comparing the source codes and it's a lot less work then I expected. Most of it can literally be copy and pasted without modification between the code bases.

• Upvote 1