New Mission Map : Tanya's Tomb-Raiding Trek (Allied Mission, Yuri's Revenge)

Concolor1

Mission map for anyone running Red Alert2 Yuri's Revenge, you will need the Yuri's Revenge mission Disc. The Zip holds the sov01umd.map file and the ra2md.csf string file.  Place these two files in the Westwood Red Alert2 folder. Then launch the game and select the Allied Mission. There is also a read me file and mini map included in the zip. Full list of credits and hints along with more information in the read me file, special thanks to McPwny on this again for invaluable assistance.

Once your finished playing this mission simply remove both these files and the Red Alert Game will be restored.

So finally after two months of writing and testing, here is a brand new mission. - Happy Easter!!!

This is not your standard RA2 mission, its a little different - Next one is back to base building, so don't worry.

Author: Concolor1
Editor: FinalAlert2 Yuri's Revenge
Created: 18th Feb 2021

Name: Tanya's Tomb-Raiding Trek
Size: 80 x 80
Players: 1
Theatre: New Urban

To play this mission:Yuri's Revenge mission disc is required.(Unless you have the full game installed on your system.)
Extract the contents of the winzip file into your Red Alert2 Directory.Launch the game,select new campaign for the Soviets.
The game will then launch.

For best playing Experience, turn down the music volume, and try not to save the game. There are audio clues, at some point so listen hard! 

Tanya's Tomb-Raiding Trek
---------------

Location The Island of Bermeja, Yucatan Mexico

Info:Ever wonder what Tanya gets up to on her days away from the battlefield? Or why the Allies seem to be able to finance campaign after campaign with a seemingly bottomless war-chest?
Well by happy coincidence both these questions have an answer, which your going to find out today.
Here's one of the reasons, on her days off, Tanya likes nothing better than donning her aqua blue top and diving straight in to the action yet again. You see Tanya likes exploring lost tombs, recovering hidden cash which she charitably gives to her allies, (who allow her to keep a cut naturally, and of course give her their support).
Today, your going with her! Guide Tanya through the tricks and traps on her latest adventure, on the mysterious island of Bermeja, --- No seriously go look it up! Try and find it - Good luck!

Objective 1:Collect 100,000 from Cash Crates.

Objective 2:Discover the way out and escape the Tomb.

Objective 3:Keep Tanya Alive.

Game Modes:
----------
Easy: You get a guided tour, Arrows point the way, giving you a rough idea of where you should head for. (Your going to have to do some searching though).
Medium: No Arrow assistance.
Hard: No Help, More Patrols, Harder Traps.

Best Experience, Play Hard, No saving, No Music.

Hints and Tips: Really? You want to know how to get through this?

Well the whole idea is based on you having fun by finding the cash crates, surviving the traps and solving the puzzles.

Some of the traps are timed, some are triggered by stepping off the correct route. Some are simply random. Many of the puzzles are straight forward. If there is something stopping you, it can be removed.
Hunt for clues, locate and destroy the 'Targets'. Use your eyes, sometimes the most obvious route isn't the safest.

Known Bugs: The old save the game removes crates bug. Well Ive narrowed down the risk on this. Many of the crates only appear when triggered, so they aren't sitting on the map all of the time. One repeats, just in case, and there are of course more than 20, so you may get halfway through the mission and discover you've collected 20. Thats fine, you just have to get Tanya back to the start position. Secondly as a back-up you can go through the map a second time, more crates will appear, some ways will now be inaccessible, however you can navigate the map back to the finish position no trouble.

Ok the big bad bug here is 'saving' and 'loading', the game. As with the crates, it messes with certain 'on-map', features. This particular bug-bear, is the lighting effect required to pass beyond a certain trap. This does not stop the game from working, but you do need to hit the correct celltags, and the lights were a guide for this. It will be a hit and miss affair without, but it is possible. I'll insert a clue to give guidance for such an eventuality, (There's now an audio clue added, just in case the lights don't trigger due to a game save).

Ok so there u have it,
A RA2md.CFS file has been added. This will overwrite any other RA2mdCSF.file which you may of installed in your 
RA2 Folder from previous downloaded missions.The file contains text which been altered in order to fit 
with the maps theme!

Explanation: The all01umd.map file when placed in your RA2 folder preceeds the standard Yuri's Revenge Soviet game disc missions.
This means that the first mission played when the game is launched will be this mission. To restore your games
original first mission simply remove the all01umd.map file from your RA2 folder.
The RA2md.csf file contains the text for this mission, it also preceeds your game disc csf file. As above once you have
finished playing this mission remove the RA2mdcsf.file. This also causes your game to revert to reading from the mission 
disc as opposed to reading data from the RA2 folder.

Various slight modifications have been added, all to keep in with this missions theme. The modifications will not alter your 
original RA2 game. 

Firstly a big thankyou to McPwny (as above), who has now taught me all about using Ai attacks. This has been a huge eye-opener and will add to your enjoyment of these maps. He's given advice on warheads, ect.
I looked up Bugsey827 Burner Rules and moddified them to add a neat flame trap.
McPwny and I identified a new bug regarding the Warhead at Waypoint. When triggered by a celltag, the unit triggering the warhead is unharmed. (We discovered that firing the warhead twice at the same waypoint does the damage, useful for a minefield). I also pinched his unique idea of making steam rise from water by using particle animations.

Finally a big thankyou to the following people who have given so much
help in this field with their ideas and solutions......many have now moved on, but they're not forgotten. I do need to scale this down at some point.

Lion,(for originally hosting and supporting my work, a big thankyou for creating my own little section on his much loved and popular
site "RADEN" ----- Greatly missed website, think its archived somewhere.
DeeZire,(for those unsupported script actions in this mission and help with the finer modifications.ArgCmdr,(who also writes mission
maps,and took the time to explain how DeeZires script-actions,should be written.
Wildefire for all the help shes given me in the past.
The Map Guild,(thanks to everyone in the forums for suggestions and help, this site has now closed unfortunatly).
Cannis,Responsible for so much, in this mission note the ground shaking effects, well its his genius which gave birth to that idea, its also his "true", random triggers which enable the lightning strikes,on various maps I made making them truely unpredictable. I also want to mention the great webpage he made for my missions
over at http://www.cannis.net/.
Dark Desolator,(for invaluable help in the forums and for explaining to my why neon green shows up as black text---doh!), I still value that
information even now..lol.
Roadxkill,(probably long gone by now).
RVMECH for his work in the RA2 community inspiring me with his own missions also for his latest work in creating downloadable script actions
which I used to incorporate my name and credits into the mapfile itself, thanks for that its a great bonus.
,for his support in getting my work posted to.
Cr@zyIvan & Miridor, can't leave them out.
ArgComdr, for driving me on when I sometimes lose interest.
Captdoom6,(for supplying the answers to the questions that I never asked).
Appokares,Silverfox,Subzero46,Wardead,Almyghty,Hinheir,CBWhiz,Benianka,Aircraftkiller2001,
and anyone else that I may of overlooked,thanks guys,a big thankyou also to the play
testers whos time was spent going over the mission,thanks for your time and patience guys.
Dark Sorpion, playtested this for me and informed me of a number of details which led to an improvement of the game, he also found the bugs..lol.
Many of the above have now gone, it being almost 20yrs, but some names you may well recognise, either way their contributions live on in every mission, thanks guys.

Finally thanks to Matze,for the FA2 utility,and the RA2 CSF Editor.
Also thanks to Olaf Van der Spek for the XCC utilities which I used to extract the md.csf file.
available at http://xccu.sourceforge.net/

Other Concolor1 Missions

1> Signed & Sealed.       (Allied RA2)
                             2> Temporal Exposure.     (Allied RA2)
                             3> Soviet Stranglehold.   (Allied RA2)
                             4> Prisoner of Conscience.(Yuri   YR)
                             5> The Wolves of Winter.  (Soviet RA2)
                             6> Fierce Intent.         (Allied RA2)
                             7> Shock Tactics.         (Soviet RA2)
                             8> Dominance in Mind.     (Yuri   YR)
                             9> Weathering the Storm.  (Soviet RA2)
                            10> In Cold Storage.       (Allied RA2)
                            11> Identity Crisis.       (Yuri   YR)
                            12> Terminal Lunacy.       (Soviet YR)
                            13> Under Pressure.        (Allied RA2)
                            14> Robot Revolution.      (Allied YR)
                            15> Nuclear Winter.        (Soviet YR)
                            16> Last Post.             (Soviet RA2)
                            17> Day of the Desolators. (Allied RA2)
                            18> Engineered to Kill.    (Allied YR)
                            19> Jungle Fortress.       (Allied YR)
                            20> Company of Wolves.     (Soviet RA2)
                            21> End of an Era, pt1 & pt2 (Yuri YR)
                            22> Moon Madness (TX Expansion)
                            23> Siege (TX Expansion)   (Allied YR)
                            24> Wipe Out!              (Allied RA2)
                            25> Foothold               (Soviet RA2)
                            26> Viral Agent            (Yuri   YR)
                            27> Finnishing Moves       (Allied RA2)
                            28> Driven up the Wall     (Soviet YR)
                            29> Wolves at the Door     (Soviet RA2)
                            30> Tanya's Tomb Raiding Trek (Allied YR)
                            31> Fire and Ice           (Allied YR)

*Included files:
[Tanya's Tomb-Raiding Trek all01umd.map] (the map)
[Tanya's Tomb-Raiding Trek.jpeg] (preview image)
[Readme file].txt (this file)
[RA2md..csf],(text game file)

SCRN0098.jpg

SCRN0072.jpg

SCRN0079.jpg

SCRN0094.jpg

SCRN0095.jpg

SCRN0062.jpg

Tanya's Tomb-Raiding Trek.jpg

Tanya's Tomb-Raiding Trek.zip

Edited by Concolor1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Your only map I couldn't have solved yet at the first try.

Is that 'statue-trap passing secret code' requires Tanya to be moved at the correct color/light squares on the battlefield, or should we type the right numbers from keyboard, as we hear that clue numbers?

Tonight I will try it one more time.

Edited by cc88_06

No you move briefly into each zone when it flashes that colour. However moving into the wrong zone resets it ?. As it’s only two colours for each statue it’s not a long process. You will hear the statues crumble if you get it right.

The vocal numbers were a secondary hint for anyone saving the game and restarting from a save point, as the game doesn’t read the building on off variables when it comes to lights.

so yes simply move into the lit area when the correct colour displays.

Edited by Concolor1

Yeah the lights for the second statue are across to the right. You will know it as four mummies move forward from the walls. 

A blue and a yellow as I recall.

the idea is the colours are coded to the numbers, so 1 is Green, 2 purple and so on....

Edited by Concolor1

Alright, have finally done it.

That arrow section is also pretty challenging. Is nearly impossible to complete without save&load; considering fire crates, random curtains and that sudden radiation region.

One of very few missions ever that has baffled me a lot! Love the visual effects as well.

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 9:26 PM, Concolor1 said:

For anyone stuck on this C&C Gameplays has uploaded a video on YouTube as to how to complete this unique mission.

This is the harest mission that u have me so far imo :P

Good luck to all of you who will try this mission in a single run (without saving and loading) 

Edited by Eggrollz
  • Like 1