New Campaign : Yuri's Revenge - Re-Engagements (Allied & Soviet, 14 Missions, Yuri's Revenge)

Concolor1

I liked Resurgence, except for the mission with the hidden timer and the mind control threat looming over your head, so I figured I'd try this.

But when I played the first Allied mission, it just felt like I was set up to fail.

The fact that you only have a minute to defend your base before getting attacked with no resources (save for a money crate near the top of your base), while having to defend Tanya and a small strike force, while also watching out for enemy attacks with your limited resources and units, while also having to look out for enemy attacks when you're not babysitting Tanya and friends, while you have to fend off Apocs and Kirovs with only Grizzlies and GIs...

I'm really not a fan of this first mission. It just feels like bad design. Not to discredit you as a mapper/modder, I just don't like what you've done.

I've already had to reload five times as of writing this, and I'm just playing on Easy. I'm more interested in the story you've got going, so I don't want a gigantic difficulty spike preventing me from exploring your lore. Resurgence was pretty decent with its amount of challenge, except that mission I mentioned earlier, but so far, this one's not really instilling me with confidence.

I'd suggest that you make Hard the recommended difficulty for veteran players; give them the one-minute setup time and limited resources to test their mettle.

UPDATE: Finally finished the damn mission. Sold the refineries, picked up the crate near the top of the base, got lucky with some crates for veterancy, armor and health. I mobilized five Mirage tanks, four IFVs and moved them with Tanya. Blew the bridge connecting the Soviet outpost to the mainland, repelled the Kirovs with IFV dancing, blew up the bridge again cuz they repaired it, then quickly mobilized to reach the objective. I let my base die.

Had to save scum a lot, too. Not something I want to repeat again.

Edited by hxazgalor

Just when I thought things might go a little easier, the next mission happens. And I constantly get targeted by a mass of Rhinos, Terror Drones, V3s and Flak Tracks when I have little defense against those things with my puny GIs and Tanya. Dogs occasionally target my spies on occasion, so I can't keep them away for 1 second to scout the enemy base. The Allied AI is OK-ish, but I wish it'd at least support me when I need it, like when I get freaking jumped on by a whole ass armored battalion. I can't even outrun them. If I get spotted, I can only load from my previous save.

Then, the Soviet AI will sometimes completely ignore the airport, while other times it will send a flak track to drop of an engi. I have no idea how to repel their capture attempts when I can't even leave my units alone to do their own thing. It's ridiculous.

Help me out here. I really want to like this, but the first two no-build missions have really infuriated me to no end. I really don't want to save scum. I feel like I have to save scum not because I want to test things out, but because I HAVE TO OR ELSE I LOSE AND HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH.

Please, what the heck am I doing wrong.

Hell your having a rough time of it. Ok mission one ‘Sell just about everything to build tanks and at least five IFVs, get about 12 or more Gis, then get the hell out of there before that nuke drops. Put Tanya in an IFV and engineers in a couple of others. These will repair your tanks and other ifvs. You need the IFVs to shoot down Kirovs. Line your tanks on the cliff tops with Gis to attack the Soviets as they pass beneath them. Once the main force has been dealt with it’s safer to progress. Ensure you destroy the tech lab to the north. 
Next up the Soviets bring an MCV onto the map to the west. They begin to build a base. You must destroy the base before you can leave. Aside from the odd Soviet reinforcements and Kirov attacks it should be easy.

Ok mission 2. The idea is you use one of your spies to shut down the power in the Soviet base. As that occurs you send Tanya to the north west base to destroy a powered down Tesla coil. Now hopefully you’ve destroyed the soviet defences closet to the Allied base. Doing so should make it easier for the Allies to get their attacks through. Your four Gis can be used to destroy the defences around the airport- yet again doing so makes it easier for the allies to capture the airport and paradrop over the Soviet base. I also use Tanya to shoot dogs one the airport defences are down I used the Gis to bolster the allied base defences.

Now if your really struggling there is an Easter egg that will allow you to build your own base. Which would make things a walk in the park. You’d have to DM me for that.

I've reached Allied mission 5, still on Easy, and I feel like I've hit my breaking point. I don't think I'll continue this campaign as I feel like a fool trying to play it.

I had to cheese mission 4 with the nuke trucks because I seriously don't enjoy surprise nuke crates. At all. Not one bit. And I have to manually target them? Ultimately, it involved a LOT of save scumming, only to get rid of the damn crates. I'm in no mood for Russian nuclear roulette, thank you very much.

Mission 5 just feels impossible. I can't afford to spend my money defending when I'm attacked on every side, nuked at random places, hit by IC'ed Terror Drones thrashing my miners, tanks splatting through my meager defenses cuz I keep running out of cash trying to defend my goddamn base. At one point, all my miners got smashed by Conscripts, Tesla Troopers, Rhinos and Terror Drones - and I can't do shit because I've no money to build an army. And when I did try to muster an army, a nuke hits and my army is gone.

I cap the derrick to the northeast of my starting location and it gets wrecked in moments. I build some defenses, and the derrick gets nuked. I put some GGIs, the AI sends a simultaneous rhino, desolator and tesla troopers and wreck me.

I've already restarted thrice. I had to restart multiple times in the previous missions, some because of my own poor tactics, others because the AI cheeses me. And no, I don't want any easter eggs to help me.

Also, why do I only get one Battle Fortress? Why can't I build more? What's the point in holding back more tech anyway?

I'm sorry. I really cannot continue. Maybe it's a skill issue, maybe it's just bad luck, maybe it's other reasons. I don't even care if you wanna blast me for being a "n00b," or that I'm a "sore loser," just go ahead - I'm seriously tired of playing any further.

I could blast through MadHQ's campaign on Normal and, though it had some terribly bad design in some places (especially City of Lights and The Fox and the Hound, to name a few), I managed to clear both of MadHQ's campaigns. It had a good bit of challenge, though it did need some cheesing at some points.

But this? This one's on a completely different level. It's almost like playing MO's pre-patched campaign when Easy was still Hard. Resurgence was honestly fine on Normal, even with that penultimate mission, but not this. I can't continue anymore. I just can't. If anything, it feels like I'm playing against one of those custom StarCraft 2 AIs with a billion APM and I can't keep up at all.

I genuinely wish you luck with your future map-making endeavors, but I no longer plan to keep up with your work.

Edited by hxazgalor

33 minutes ago, hxazgalor said:

I've reached Allied mission 5, still on Easy, and I feel like I've hit my breaking point. I don't think I'll continue this campaign as I feel like a fool trying to play it.

I had to cheese mission 4 with the nuke trucks because I seriously don't enjoy surprise nuke crates. At all. Not one bit. And I have to manually target them? Ultimately, it involved a LOT of save scumming, only to get rid of the damn crates. I'm in no mood for Russian nuclear roulette, thank you very much.

Mission 5 just feels impossible. I can't afford to spend my money defending when I'm attacked on every side, nuked at random places, hit by IC'ed Terror Drones thrashing my miners, tanks splatting through my meager defenses cuz I keep running out of cash trying to defend my goddamn base. At one point, all my miners got smashed by Conscripts, Tesla Troopers, Rhinos and Terror Drones - and I can't do shit because I've no money to build an army. And when I did try to muster an army, a nuke hits and my army is gone.

I cap the derrick to the northeast of my starting location and it gets wrecked in moments. I build some defenses, and the derrick gets nuked. I put some GGIs, the AI sends a simultaneous rhino, desolator and tesla troopers and wreck me.

I've already restarted thrice. I had to restart multiple times in the previous missions, some because of my own poor tactics, others because the AI cheeses me. And no, I don't want any easter eggs to help me.

Also, why do I only get one Battle Fortress? Why can't I build more? What's the point in holding back more tech anyway?

I'm sorry. I really cannot continue. Maybe it's a skill issue, maybe it's just bad luck, maybe it's other reasons. I don't even care if you wanna blast me for being a "n00b," or that I'm a "sore loser," just go ahead - I'm seriously tired of playing any further.

I could blast through MadHQ's campaign on Normal and, though it had some terribly bad design in some places (especially City of Lights and The Fox and the Hound, to name a few), I managed to clear both of MadHQ's campaigns. It had a good bit of challenge, though it did need some cheesing at some points.

But this? This one's on a completely different level. It's almost like playing MO's pre-patched campaign when Easy was still Hard. Resurgence was honestly fine on Normal, even with that penultimate mission, but not this. I can't continue anymore. I just can't. If anything, it feels like I'm playing against one of those custom StarCraft 2 AIs with a billion APM and I can't keep up at all.

I genuinely wish you luck with your future map-making endeavors, but I no longer plan to keep up with your work.

Of the five missions I've played, mission 3 was the only one where I genuinely had fun. It started off rough at first, no thanks to the omniscient AI constantly targeting my Aircraft Carrier. I had to restart a few times cuz I kept losing it to sneaky ass Typhoons.

I do think that part of the reason I had fun was also because I got lucky a few times. This includes some good RNG with a few crates, one of which gave me full map vision. With that, I paradropped GIs in strategic areas to smash the Soviet bases from inside. Once I had two derricks in custody, and one or two helpful cash crates, I managed to muster a sizeable fleet of destroyers and dolphins. I parked my AC close to a third Shipyard, and placed destroyers ahead of it to intercept subs that tried to sink the AC. I then used my dolphins to skirt around the Soviet navy and took out their Shipyards, freeing me from the headache of saving the AC.

Ultimately, the AC wasn't really important anyway, because I had paratroopers to drop behind enemy lines, and I had sufficient destroyers to knock out flak cannons that might prevent my paradrops from being successful. It still took a long time to finish, but finish it I did.

I personally (and this is only my personal opinion) think that good gameplay should reward players for being able to exert strategic creativity in any way they can, without forcibly railroading players into a specific path owing to the map's constraints (be it the map itself, or triggers, and so forth). Mission 4 felt like it railroaded me, because I had to bum rush Grizzlies and take out every single truck that attempts to escape, while also dodging all the crates they leave since there's no guarantee that it's not a nuke in disguise. There didn't seem to be a better way.

In any case, I'd suggest tweaking the difficulty so that masochists veteran players can have a hell of a challenge in Hard, while us folks who just play for fun can enjoy it on Easy or Normal. I may be here for a good time, not a long time, but I know my limits - and I draw the line at torturing myself on excessively difficult (IMHO) games.

Edited by hxazgalor

Yeah no I understand, I’m not here to pass judgement on anyones tolerance or skill level.

I will say that you write an awful lot though.

Yeah the main moan with resurgence was some players found it too easy. So I went the other way with this. Some players find it a breeze but not everyone. 
You did well to get to mission 5.

Thanks for giving it a go. If you wish to pursue it I can recommend cnc gaming’s YouTube videos and I understand TgSacred will be uploading soon. Always worth checking out.

20 minutes ago, Concolor1 said:

Yeah no I understand, I’m not here to pass judgement on anyones tolerance or skill level.

I will say that you write an awful lot though.

Yeah the main moan with resurgence was some players found it too easy. So I went the other way with this. Some players find it a breeze but not everyone. 
You did well to get to mission 5.

Thanks for giving it a go. If you wish to pursue it I can recommend cnc gaming’s YouTube videos and I understand TgSacred will be uploading soon. Always worth checking out.

I appreciate your replies. I do sincerely apologize for sounding rude, but I was pretty upset with how my run went.

I learned about this when tgSacred posted about covering this campaign, so I figured I'd try it out for myself. I did like Resurgence enough to give this a go.

I really don't understand why folks need to bully themselves into doing crazy things just for the sake of "fun." That's not fun in my book, but oh well.

I'd still suggest keeping Hard for the veterans who thought Resurgence was "easy."

And yes, I'm quite aware that I write long walls. It's a bit of a habit, unfortunately...

On 1/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, Concolor1 said:

During the game another objective is stated. You have to destroy the Soviet base that gets set up. Maybe you missed one of its buildings.

Hello, I'm having some trouble with this mission as well.

I sold off some buildings and made a bunch of IFVs and put tanya in one, I went as fast as possible to the base in the southwest and destroyed it as soon as it spawned, I kept the GI's on a cliff near the start to slow down the soviets and sent the grizzlies to destroy the tech lab.

For some reason though, even though I pretty much annihilate the conyard as soon as it spawns, I don't get the victory noise for achieving a secondary objective. Is there some hidden building somewhere?

Do I have to interact with the tents in some way to progress? I'm kinda stuck here because tanya is in the pool, the tech lab is destroyed and there is no trace of anything at all of the southwest base. I destroyed the sentry guns at the start of the bridge too.

Edit: I decided to just wipe the entire map and wait for the southwest base to finish building then went ahead and killed it, and it worked.

Additionally, I am playing the campaign on hard and it is quite fun and inventive, I think the only thing I dislike is the trucks dropping crates that are mini-nukes, that seemed a bit cheap because even if you avoid all the crates, you can no longer save as the client will encounter some error. So you have to do the whole thing in one go which can be annoying when there is a constant supply of trucks that are not auto-targeted by your units.

Edited by Goldfish Deerlover

After getting advice from a friend who plays better than I, I finally beat mission 5. I managed to slog through mission 6, so I've finally reached the finale. I honestly detest you for making Tanya a critical unit for the mission. I HATE it so much.

I have to deal with so much shit happening and I have to babysit her all the time. Even when I move her to the other island where the outpost I had to destroy at first was, THE AI SENDS KIROVS TO KILL HER?????

What the hell, man... Just make her a regular commando and NOT MAKE HER CRITICAL TO THE MISSION, IT SUCKS.

EDIT: I figured I'd retry the campaign and maybe it won't be as bad. I thought after M5 it might be a little better. But nope. The longer I continue, the faster I lose my mind. M7's more impossible than M5. I give up.

Edited by hxazgalor

I think what your saying is that it gets ‘progressively harder’, yeah that’s how games are written mission 1 easy mission 7 hard. 
course you could always stick Tanya in a Nighthawk and move it out of the way.

The whole idea of the campaign is it shouldn’t be done in a day. It took me eight months to write and when I wrote it, it was for one person’s amusement, ‘Me’.

Whoever downloads it is simply a beneficiary. I put it out there just for that, it’s free. I don’t ask for anything.

Im sorry you have so many issues with it.

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 2:30 AM, Concolor1 said:

I think what your saying is that it gets ‘progressively harder’, yeah that’s how games are written mission 1 easy mission 7 hard. 

I always had wished the actual campaigns of ra1 and 2 were longer. They had the last mission as some for of a 'super mission' (ish). But i would have loved it if they had made that mission more around the middle mission of the campaign. And had several more big missions after that. - So if the normal campaign was 10 missions (1 easy, 10 hard) then make it 15 or such. With the same 1-10 plus 5 more super missions. Take those last 5 to the extreme lol.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:48 PM, hxazgalor said:

I liked Resurgence, except for the mission with the hidden timer and the mind control threat looming over your head, so I figured I'd try this.

But when I played the first Allied mission, it just felt like I was set up to fail.

The fact that you only have a minute to defend your base before getting attacked with no resources (save for a money crate near the top of your base), while having to defend Tanya and a small strike force, while also watching out for enemy attacks with your limited resources and units, while also having to look out for enemy attacks when you're not babysitting Tanya and friends, while you have to fend off Apocs and Kirovs with only Grizzlies and GIs...

I'm really not a fan of this first mission. It just feels like bad design. Not to discredit you as a mapper/modder, I just don't like what you've done.

I've already had to reload five times as of writing this, and I'm just playing on Easy. I'm more interested in the story you've got going, so I don't want a gigantic difficulty spike preventing me from exploring your lore. Resurgence was pretty decent with its amount of challenge, except that mission I mentioned earlier, but so far, this one's not really instilling me with confidence.

I'd suggest that you make Hard the recommended difficulty for veteran players; give them the one-minute setup time and limited resources to test their mettle.

UPDATE: Finally finished the damn mission. Sold the refineries, picked up the crate near the top of the base, got lucky with some crates for veterancy, armor and health. I mobilized five Mirage tanks, four IFVs and moved them with Tanya. Blew the bridge connecting the Soviet outpost to the mainland, repelled the Kirovs with IFV dancing, blew up the bridge again cuz they repaired it, then quickly mobilized to reach the objective. I let my base die.

Had to save scum a lot, too. Not something I want to repeat again.

In this first mission; immediate sell of prisms, patriots, ore purifier etc. and instant training of 2 battle fortresses with 9 ggi's and Tanya inside, with an aid of a engi-ifv (you can build up this small army before enemy assault), makes the rest of mission easy to complete.

On 1/30/2023 at 5:07 PM, hxazgalor said:

Not an easy one really.

Slightly above of a mountain close to the center of the map, with a small hill as well, seems to be only region to set up your base. Build your refinery next to the ore mine to the east, just down of that mountain, and protect this point with gi paradrops and prism towers. It is important to build up your war factory a bit away from your main base, as it is likely to get nuked twice. It is your best bet to start up training harriers as soon as possible !

I advise to keep your battle fortress always mobile (of course with 4 ggis and a seal), wandering and defencing around your CY.

Try to capture as many derricks as possible, and set up the same defence systems around your ore refineries. The higher number of money sources and structures, the better it is! As soon as you train 12 harriers and a spy for sabotage, immediately blow up that nuke. And you will see the mission is getting easier as you slowly maintain and strengthen your economy...

On 2/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, hxazgalor said:

After getting advice from a friend who plays better than I, I finally beat mission 5. I managed to slog through mission 6, so I've finally reached the finale. I honestly detest you for making Tanya a critical unit for the mission. I HATE it so much.

I have to deal with so much shit happening and I have to babysit her all the time. Even when I move her to the other island where the outpost I had to destroy at first was, THE AI SENDS KIROVS TO KILL HER?????

What the hell, man... Just make her a regular commando and NOT MAKE HER CRITICAL TO THE MISSION, IT SUCKS.

EDIT: I figured I'd retry the campaign and maybe it won't be as bad. I thought after M5 it might be a little better. But nope. The longer I continue, the faster I lose my mind. M7's more impossible than M5. I give up.

Always make sure to load Tanya inside a BF; if no access, at least keep her in a ifv or a nighthawk.

The key point here is ‘there is always a way to complete the missions. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box. Putting Tanya in an IFV is a great way round it. It’s also possible to stick her in a nighthawk and have it hover around.

• 1 month later...

First of all thank you for this wonderful experience, such great and challenging missions, but i have a problem i have played all the Allied missions and the first Soviet mission but after finishing the first Soviet mission, i get the message (unable to initiate map selection) and the same mission is repeated, i have seen the comment that describes having the same problem but i tried the solution he wrote and i couldn't find any files with that name, please help as i want to continue and finish these great missions

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I want to get off Concolor1's wild ride. I like hard maps but having to rely on RNG is just plain insane - it took me a month to complete 2nd Allied mission. A4 could really use the alert that a truck is escaping significantly earlier than 15 tiles from exit to give player last chance to react instead of making  us sit and watch as we lose the mission. I heard complaints about A5 but i figured it out quickly so its surprisingly a map with least of issues.

I already fear soviet campaign.

• 2 months later...

So, i got to completing this campaign finally. If i had to shortcut my entire experience it would be something like this:

A01: Boy i sure do love mission breaking and the all structure kill objective with random sentries all over map

A02: a̵̱͑b̵̮͒ã̴͉n̸̗̆d̵̻͂o̷̮͝n̴͕͗ ̴̢̅a̴͙̚l̵̄l hope you who come hȅ̵͓r̴e or use the easter egg and make it bearable

A03: Hope you like force firing because we will force you to fire at random water areas. Also hope that the GI attack wont give you tinnitus

A04: Concolor1 and his asshole crates strike again, also have an alarm when enemy is 10 tiles away from escaping so you can see you losing your mission, loser

A05: You either learn to stop enemies before they group up in front of your base or you die

A06: ROBOT TANKS ONLINE

A07: I had to rush the soviet base in front of me to survive so take a guess how annoyed i was

S01: Nighthawk transport is your greatest nightmare, also pray that your flaks wont kill all your troops

S02: Actually okay mission for once.

S03: I dont mind trial and error missions so i guess this one is also fine in my book

S04: HOPE YOU ARE A FAN OF CLASS OF 300 BECAUSE THATS A LOT OF BRIDGES, SONNY (Also i styled on it with use of Crazy Ivans so im just gonna hi-five myself)

S05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uanuEq9ZXlA

S06: Another decently designed mission, i liked it.

S07: A lot of trial and error, AI pulls no punches, i hate that BFRT with Initiates in it, it also gave me a glimpse of hope but then smashed it completely, still i enjoyed it.

Now a message to Concolor1. You've been doing missions for over 20 years. Please. Please. PLEASE learn to use firesale. Almost every campaign already has it implemented because hunting every single bit of defense feels like a waste of time once all enemy units and productions are dead. In last Soviet mission one of AI's actually did use it, then the other one just stood still while io was looking for last gattling cannon that i missed to compete the objective.

If anyone is willing to experience what i was going through, ill drop this here. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUPhBMXB4tMcE6CGOrAiaajbxI6ND1fIb
I still have that Yuri's campaign to go through...