Resolution issue

shockwave

HI,

I bought the C&C collection on Origins during a sale.

I installed TS and then ran the patch from CNC-net.

I started TS and wanted to change the resolution to 1920*1080. But the game window became very small. See file in attach.
I use a laptor with an external monitor.

Same happens for RA2. Both games really need a remaster.

Can anyone help me to display the game in nice(r) resolution over the entire screen? I'm sure this has happened many times before.

tiberian sun post resize 1920x2080.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Why screw around crutching the old one????

Try the cncnet downloads instead, same game, but a current modern client. Their clients handle the newer, higher resolutions very well

I expect you might have better luck with them.....

They are also free.

If you are really bent on using the old one, you can edit the resolution in the sun.ini file (using a text editor) if I remember correctly..... and it still might be glitchy anyway..

Edited by amokk
  • Upvote 1

On 8/5/2023 at 3:10 PM, shockwave said:

I started TS and wanted to change the resolution to 1920*1080. But the game window became very small.

Same happens for RA2.

These great old games officially support high resolutions by design, without the need for a client.

There are several ways to change the resolution.
For RA2, If you type "hires" while in main menu, you'll see more resolution options, including your current monitor resolution.
Not sure if the same applies to TS, but you can try.

That is the easiest, most normal way to do it. Hope it works for you. :)

"Unnecessary complication is the norm of the masses: simplicity is the hallmark of the discerning."  A.J. Darkholme

For more than 30 years people have paid me to crutch their old software, When newer software costing a fraction of the price paid to me, was readily available to them. and very very rarely, was the crutched software less frustrating than the new.

Edited by amokk

Well said. That's why I was trying to simplify it.
He doesn't need to edit any files, just pick from the original dropdown menu, and he doesn't need a client to play alone or to change the resolution.

BTW, how'd you get my pic? You hacked my phone or what?

On 8/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, Sam-I-am said:

These great old games officially support high resolutions by design, without the need for a client.

There are several ways to change the resolution.
For RA2, If you type "hires" while in main menu, you'll see more resolution options, including your current monitor resolution.
Not sure if the same applies to TS, but you can try.

That is the easiest, most normal way to do it. Hope it works for you. :)

I think he means the menu screens becomes smaller, but the game itself should be ok. This happens for design in TS and Ra2, however Yuri's Revenge stretches its menus to the screen size and its a matter of design, you can't really do else about it than modifying/coding the .exe files, and most of us got no clue.

Or using the current and updated clients (except for campaigns of course)

Edited by XMaDTanKX aka T-90

15 minutes ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

I think he means the menu screens becomes smaller, but the game itself should be ok.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:10 PM, shockwave said:

the game window became very small.

Can anyone help me to display the game in nice(r) resolution over the entire screen?

This indicates that the whole game is affected, not just the menus.

I don't think anyone would complain if it was just the menus.

On 8/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

I think he means the menu screens becomes smaller, but the game itself should be ok. This happens for design in TS and Ra2, however Yuri's Revenge stretches its menus to the screen size and its a matter of design, you can't really do else about it than modifying/coding the .exe files, and most of us got no clue.

Or using the current and updated clients (except for campaigns of course)

Hi,

I started playing the game and the gameplay itself is full screen. thanks.
I'm still hoping for a remaster. Cutscenes are so blurry. the HUD is a bit small

On 8/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, shockwave said:

Hi,

I started playing the game and the gameplay itself is full screen. thanks.
I'm still hoping for a remaster. Cutscenes are so blurry. the HUD is a bit small

Ya man, these cutscenes actually could be remastered with a higher quality than the Remastered Collection (TD and RA1). Some people did it with AI upscaling to 4k 60fps and the result is so good, you can watch them in YT. So if EA still has the original footage (which I sadly doubt) the result could be even better.

Also the game shows them at the same size like the menu screens lol, and they get smaller as you increase the reso. I wish someone would make a patch to fix this.