Red Alert - Demo Maps

Iran

These are the missons from the Red Alert demo, two Allies map (a modified version of the second mission and a modified fifth mission) and one Soviets map (a modified version of the second mission). The second Allies and Soviet missions are modified so you get Light Tanks and Heavy Tanks respectively, I'm not familiar with the fifth Allies map. The second Allies mission doesn't have a timer while in the full game it does.

The mission.ini briefing text are the same as in the full game. The two Allies missions have the same file name as in the full game, implying loading the Allies campaign in the demo caused the game to search for the file name of the second Allies mission to load as first map, instead of the file name of the first mission. And the Soviet mission included in this demo has been renamed to have the same file name as the first mission in the full game, even though this mission is actually the second mission. It's extra strange as the Allies second mission hasn't been renamed to the first Allies missions' file name.

Red_Alert_Demo_Missions.zip

It's strange cause the first Allied mission in this demo is the second mission in the full game and it has the file name of the second mission, while the Soviet first mission in the demo also is the second mission in the full game, but has the file name of the first mission in the full game.

• 1 month later...

Hey, now I remember I also found that strange.

Could be two different explanations to this really:

a) The mission which is now one of the two choices for the second Soviet mission was indeed planned to be the first mission at some point (makes some sense as the first Allied mission is in the snow terrain, the temperate terrain would counter-balance it much like the temperate vs. desert terrains in the GDI and Nod campaigns in C&C).

b) This has something to do with the internal game logic, in that it for some reason must have at least one starting campaign mission in the data file set.

As a matter of fact, (a) seems more likely to me somehow.