AI - Guard Area Mode

ROB

I was recently making a mission and ran into the age old bug of units produced by the enemy trying to get to the NW corner. I did a lot of experimenting and ... This may be old news, but I have determined there is some link between multiple AI's in production and new units starting in guard area mode, that make AI units go NW. Long story short, when I had AI=4 for a country, several teamtypes ignored a travel to waypoint command and went NW. On a hunch, I changed the Guardarea AI setting from 4 to 5 and the problem was solved. However, on another mission I had many APC's of an allied AI player trying to get NW, and the AI was set to 3, not 4 (which would have had new units starting in guardarea mode). This mission also has 3 AI players in production, all with IQ=3. So I rest my case. Looks like some strange bug burried deep within code that Westwoods finest (no sarcasm intended) have probably forgotten all knowledge of long ago  :( Either that or an AI and mission creation system we do not fully understand.

More messed up text in the rules.ini. Newly produced units can't be using guard area. Why?

From rules.ini.

; ******* Mission Control *******

; Recruitable = Can it be recruited into a team or base defense (def=yes)?

; Guard the general area where the unit starts at.

[Area Guard]

Recruitable=no

Rate=.080

AARate=.032

Unit using Area Guard can't be recruited into a teamtype. Units using basic [Guard] are recruitable into a teamtype.

Hmm.. Maybe with a newer exe than what I am using. Cant use the Iran patch with Arda.

Cant believe I did not think of that, ive sceen those settings in rules but never thought to mess with them.

From rules.ini.

; ******* Mission Control *******

; Recruitable = Can it be recruited into a team or base defense (def=yes)?

; Guard the general area where the unit starts at.

[Area Guard]

Recruitable=no

Rate=.080

AARate=.032

Unit using Area Guard can't be recruited into a teamtype. Units using basic [Guard] are recruitable into a teamtype.

Umm... how is that messed up? It's to prevent preplaced units in missions set on Area Guard on strategic positions from being called away to attack.

More messed up text in the rules.ini. Newly produced units can't be using guard area. Why?

Not sure how you conclude that... newly produced units can perfectly be made into a teamtype that sets them to Area Guard.

it seemd like the new units were recruited for the attack tarcom command when they start in area guard mode. The ai will still make the team they are supposed to but it takes so much longer because they make teams and send them NW arbitrarily. Why would units starting in guard area mode even be an option if those same units need to be recruited for a team and they cant be in area guard mode?

Nyerguds

Newly produced units can't be using guard area because units using Area Guard can't be recruited into a teamtype.

; ******* IQ setting for computer activity *******

GuardArea=4            ; newly produced units start in guard area mode

The bold text is wrong. It should say just guard.

The IQ settings are 0 to 5. 0 is used for the player and 1 to 5 are AI. 1 to 4 is single player AI and 5 is skirmish mode/multiplayer AI.

Here is the full RA IQ settngs

; ******* IQ setting for computer activity *******

; Each player (computer controlled or otherwise) is given an IQ rating that is used

; to control what the computer is allowed to automatically control. This is

; distinct from the difficulty setting. The higher the IQ setting, the more autonomous

; and intelligent the side will behave. Each ability is given a rating that

; indicates the IQ level (or above) that the ability will be granted. Because such

; abilities are automatically performed by the computer, giving a human controlled

; country a high IQ is not recommended. Otherwise the player's units will start to

; automatically "do their own thing"! A human controlled country is presumed to have

; an IQ rating of zero. A computer controlled country has an IQ of 1 or higher.

; When in skirmish mode or when multiplayer AIs are active, the computer IQ is set to

; the maximum.

[iQ]

MaxIQLevels=5          ; the maximum number of discrete IQ levels

SuperWeapons=4          ; super weapons are automatically fired by computer

Production=5            ; building/unit production is automatically controlled by computer

GuardArea=4            ; newly produced units start in guard area mode

RepairSell=1            ; allowed to choose repair or sell of damaged buildings

AutoCrush=2            ; automatically try to crush antogonists if possible

Scatter=3              ; will scatter from incoming threats [grenades and such]

ContentScan=4          ; will consider contents of transport when picking good target

Aircraft=4              ; automatically replace aircraft or helicopters

Harvester=2            ; automatically replace lost harvesters

SellBack=2              ; allowed to sell buildings

It is worth noting that I've never seen that IQ above 3 for any single player mission that I can recall off hand.

teamtypes bring in new ones sometimes

I think if you give them an empty helipad and then create a helicopter team-type to come in from off the map they will go to those pads when orders are complete

works with planes too

The AI will only replace helicopters with Longbows.

What you can try to do is Prerequisite=hpad,tent for the Longbow and Prerequisite=hpad,barr for the Hind and see if this stops the AI from buidling only Longbows.

also you can put

[iQ]

Aircraft=3

in the map it self.