Coding and Hexadecimal

ROB

So I'm afraid I may have missed my calling, I never really learned how to program other than a few classes here or there. I understand the basics, like binary, IF THEN logic, but I don't know any languages. I got wrapped up in something totally different. Lately I have been trying to figure out exactly what hexadecimal is. I think I got the basics of that down. When I look at topics such ashttp://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2456.0 and see the code there, it looks like just Hex editing. Is that correct? How do you guys even know what your looking at then? It seems like it could translate to almost anything, seems like shooting blind to me. Can anyone explain or clarify further? I'm not looking for lessons here just curious on how it works.

The computer only "read" numbers. An bunch of numbers can mean an instruction for the processor to exectute. When you change those numbers, the computer may do something different, for example, instead of adding two numbers, it can multiply it.

The Hexadecimal base is an abstraction for a easier binary editing. instead saying 11111111, we could just say FF.

If you want to understeand more how the eletric computer works, take a look at http://hipo.sourceforge.net/ .

Hmm, sorry I cant read Portuguese Pichorra, but I could recognize it was not Spanish  :laugh:

Nice website Matt, reading it now. So seems like I was right. So the Iran-Patch and Nyerguds C&C patch, that was all done with reverse engineering. Hex editing?

Hmm, sorry I cant read Portuguese Pichorra, but I could recognize it was not Spanish  :laugh:

There was supposed to be a english manual in that page. They post everything there in english, even the software itself is in english, but they don't give you a english manual... Sorry for that.

Nice website Matt, reading it now. So seems like I was right. So the Iran-Patch and Nyerguds C&C patch, that was all done with reverse engineering. Hex editing?

Yes.

So the Iran-Patch and Nyerguds C&C patch, that was all done with reverse engineering. Hex editing?

Reverse engineering is basically throwing the exe into a disassembler, which transforms the bytes back to readable code. Though since it is really only the raw instructions, things like function names or variable names are all lost, meaning a lot of the work involved is finding out what all the code does.

As for modifying code, I just write my own code in the programming language of the CPU (x86 Assembler) and use some system to convert that to bytes to be inserted back into the exe file. The basic method for doing this is what's generally called "hooking"; finding the spot where the new code needs to come, modifying the code there to jump out to my own new code, and then making sure it returns to that spot after the new code was executed, so the game's normal flow can continue.

There's usually no real "hex editing" involved, except for the fact my old method just generated bytes I had to paste into the exe file at the right spot. But hifi's new asm development system automates this, meaning that it can be done without any actual hex editing.

Wow. So I understand the frustration when people ask for little improvements here and there. I can only imagine the difficulty if variable names are not retained. So adding building frames should require finding the hospital offset or something, needle in a haystack!

Well, I did already find the building animations in C&C95. But generally? Yeah.

The only good leads to start from are the filenames and ini strings the game uses, which are obviously in the exe as plain text, and the disassembler automatically cross-links them to the code using them. So that does help a bit. Especially since all code for initializing buildings, units and projectiles contains references to the names of their SHP graphics :)

Ahh good good. I was trying to make some visualizations on how I could make my own unofficial TS patch anyway. And what I mean by visualizations by things that I need to know and what to analyze in advance stage. So far the basic patching that I know is just inserting something that is missing (i.e Mutant Woman's missing voice). By advance stage I mean the fixes I should learn in weapon logics. By the way.... do D2K+ Dune 2000 Audio Converter and Command line Aud - Wav tool turns a .AUD file into a mono compression?

CCHyper said that AUD format actually supports stereo, but no converters were ever made for it. Not by the community, anyway.

It'd only be useful for the soundtrack anyway, since the C&C engine plays sound effects on the specific point on the map where they should sound from, making you hear it louder or quieter depending on how close to that spot your currently viewed area is. So making sound effects stereo would... complicate this, I guess.