Russian language support in C&C patch v1.06C r3

MrFlibble

Siberian_GRemlin recently reported a problem with Russian language support in v1.06C r3: the Russian language option is missing from the setup programme and if added manually in conquer.ini it crashes the setup programme when saving the settings.

I vaguely remember that some time ago, someone here posted something about Siberian_GRemlin's localization being fully functional with the 1.06 patch.

Well the idiot should've just contacted me and made the language pack according to my specs instead of replacing the internal English by Russian :mad:

Seriously. I haven't heard from him for more than a year and now I hear something like this? My email hasn't changed or anything, he should've just bloody emailed me.

For the record: beside the internal ENG/GER/FRE/JAP languages (which are stored inside the game), the language function in the CCConfig tool lists any XXX from the available "lang_XXX.mix" files in the game folder. So the only thing he needs to do to add Russian, is add a "lang_rus.mix" with the necessary contents. The full guide can be found here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/language/

If he starts messing around in my CCConfig tool and replacing some strings? Yeah, it'll probably crash. I made this language addon system FOR HIM, dammit! He should just use it!

Well, I didn't make the addon system by his request (I was planning that anyway), but I did make the actual options of the language addons after his requested specifications. That's the only reason there is support for replacing font files, since he's the only one with a working font editor.

To clarify: I found his translation, decided to make it into a language pack, and, as I normally do in these cases, I contacted the author of the translation for permission to use their translation and make it into a language pack. To my surprise, Siberian_GRemlin refused, opting instead to release the language pack himself. We got brainstorming over the required options, and I implemented them for him, but when I messaged him back about it after I finished implementing it, he stopped replying altogether.

Later I found out he released a new translated version of C&C95, built on the new version of my patch containing the language addon function, but replaced the internal English language instead of just releasing a Russian addon pack. Which is pretty dumb, because even English uses a language config ini file, just like any addon language does. There's no reason whatsoever for him to replace the English one rather than just adding the Russian one.

So yeah, any problems he has with that are entirely his own fault. I've offered him all support I could, and made the language pack system as universally usable as possible (to the point where it could be used for mods in general, actually), but if he decides to just hack his own stuff into it in his way, just to make that Russian appear as the primary language in the game, then I really don't feel any need to help him anymore. He seems to have that typical dub-pirate attitude to fan-translations, with a serious disrespect to the people who made the content he's working on.

...and then I'm not even talking about what a dick move it is to have the only working C&C1 font editor and never release it to the community.

Well, after I posted the first message here Siberian_GRemlin e-mailed me that he figured out how to work with language packs on his own. I merely told him that you're wondering why he didn't ask you directly.

I guess you should ask him if he's willing to make the font editor public, while he's in a mood for communication (BTW, he mentioned in a recent letter that his latest disappearance was caused by some serious RL issues he had, so he may have had some reason for not replying earlier).

Frankly I don't know, the editor Siberian_GRemlin has supports both formats (I assume C&C and RA use the same format) however I can't be sure that the format in Dune II is similar. For all I know, it might be, but then again, it might not.

Should be more or less easy to check that by putting a Dune II font into C&C, and vice versa.

To the best of my knowledge, Dune 2000 uses completely different file formats (which may or may not be due to the fact that this game can alternate between 8-bit and 16-bit graphics sets) compared to Dune II, C&C and RA, however I cannot be 100% sure about the fonts.