Red Alert 1 Mission Converter (3.03p-Iran custom missions dialog)

FunkyFr3sh

[Recharge] is already in the rules. Adding the [Recharge] data you have added to the top will have no effect as the game will read [Recharge] data you added than read the stock [Recharge] later down the rules.ini and use it in game.

Maybe I'm not understanding your explanation.  Why is it that the [recharge] line is ignored when rules.ini is in the main Red Alert folder, but when I add the line to "cmu366ea.ini" (as an example) the game then reads it?  In other words:

rules.ini [Recharge] in \RedAlert folder:  Game IGNORES the command

cmu366ea.ini [Recharge] \RedAlert Folder: Game READS the command

Shouldn't it be the other way around?  Very confusing...  Obviously, the creator of this particular mission did not expect the game to actually read these line, since the game messes up big time (by dropping unlimited paratroopers/parabombs) when it is now being read.  Previously, the game ignored the authors modifications to rules.ini.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lightning Hunter

Did you try change the [Recharge] already in the rules?

If I revert the [Recharge] time in the mission file (NOT rules.ini), the problem is fixed.  However, what concerns me more is not this one issue, but how other maps might be affected.  I am trying to understand why [Recharge] is ignored by Red Alert in rules.ini in the Red Alert folder, yet it works in the mission file itself.  I guess the best I can do right now is just fix the one mission, and hope for the best with the other missions... Maybe it is just a strange anomaly/quirk with Red Alert.  If I had to guess, I would say that Red Alert ignores values of "0" when it comes to Recharge time, unless the value is in the mission file rather than rules.ini.  But we may never know unless someone else investigates who has a better understanding of the game engine.

The [Recharge] is read from the rules just fine! You can't paste

[Recharge]

ParaBomb=0              ; parachute bombs

Paratrooper=0          ; paratroopers

at the top of the rules and expect it to work. The rules have a [Recharge] section already and you need to edit them.

Updated MissionConverter to version 0.8

It can search rules.ini and aftrmath.ini for IMAGE= keys and offers to rename unknown SHP files.

e.g. "F9EC22F1" will be renamed to lracICON.shp

Tested with the following mission http://ra.afraid.org/download.php/missions/latomega.zip

Worked on 9 out of 10 files.

02F6EDB8 Couldn't be identified, no idea what that is -> https://imgur.com/a/PsVi2

Magic was done with "NameGenerator.getNameIdHexString"  ( stolen from Nyerguds )

The [Recharge] is read from the rules just fine! You can't paste

[Recharge]

ParaBomb=0              ; parachute bombs

Paratrooper=0          ; paratroopers

at the top of the rules and expect it to work. The rules have a [Recharge] section already and you need to edit them.

I looked through the mission he linked, there is only 1 [Recharge] section in it and not multiple ones.

FunkyFr3sh

In post #25 he is talking about [Recharge] not working in the rules.

Maybe I'm not understanding your explanation.  Why is it that the [recharge] line is ignored when rules.ini is in the main Red Alert folder, but when I add the line to "cmu366ea.ini" (as an example) the game then reads it?  In other words:

Shouldn't it be the other way around?  Very confusing...  Obviously, the creator of this particular mission did not expect the game to actually read these line, since the game messes up big time (by dropping unlimited paratroopers/parabombs) when it is now being read.  Previously, the game ignored the authors modifications to rules.ini.

FunkyFr3sh

In post #25 he is talking about [Recharge] not working in the rules.

Yes, the rules.ini included with the mission got these values set and the mission works fine. But once he converted the mission it doesn't work anymore.

The converter put the rules.ini values into the mission file. So that means the game somehow ignores these values in rules.ini but reads them if placed inside a mission.

To make it clear, he doesn't put any values into any files here manually, he is using the original files of the mission.

Btw, do you know what that file could be? https://imgur.com/a/PsVi2

24x24 and 8 frames, for what could that be used?

Yes, you understood what I was saying FunkyFr3sh.  It was hard to explain all that, so sorry for any confusion!  Indeed, the game seems to blatantly ignore the [Recharge] times in rules.ini, at least when it is set to "0".  I have not tested any other values.  It is possible there is an engine bug with properly reading values of "0" in rules.ini, but for whatever reason, it DOES read the value of "0" for the [Recharge] time in the mission file.

Hopefully this problem is isolated to just this one mission.

FunkyFr3sh

The game will most setting found in the map. Not every key in the rules can be put into a map but may can. Any valid keys put into that map will override the rules.ini All [Recharge]  keys should be valid if placed into the map. I'm sure you know this but may Lightning Hunter is hitting some oddies with RA1.

The unknown .shp is likely litning.shp. It looks like litning.shp was converted to be a laser.

Lightning Hunter

I don't think 0 is valid. Try 0.1

FunkyFr3sh

The game will most setting found in the map. Not every key in the rules can be put into a map but may can. Any valid keys put into that map will override the rules.ini All [Recharge]  keys should be valid if placed into the map. I'm sure you know this but may Lightning Hunter is hitting some oddies with RA1.

The unknown .shp is likely litning.shp. It looks like litning.shp was converted to be a laser.

Lightning Hunter

I don't think 0 is valid. Try 0.1

Ah ok, thanks

But why doesn't XCC know the name? Can this graphic be changed via rules.ini? where the matching IMAGE= key?

My guess is that the .shp was packed with a tool older than XCC. The old tools seem to convert all names to a set of numbers. I never got use to those old tools as XCC was better. This was back 2000-ish.

It seems any weapon with Charges=yes will use litning.shp. The TeslaZap uses a projectile and warhead that are used with other weapons. Projectile=Inivisble is used for many weapons and Warhead=Super for the Camera and AM Carrier weapon. I have Super on other weapons as well and the litning.shp isn't used. litning.shp is hardcoded to the Charges=yes key. I made the TTankZap and PortaTesla weapons into Chem Spray weapons so the  litning.shp is not coded to the Tesla weapons.

I don't think there is away to change the litning.shp by any rule key.

My guess is that the .shp was packed with a tool older than XCC. The old tools seem to convert all names to a set of numbers. I never got use to those old tools as XCC was better. This was back 2000-ish.

It seems any weapon with Charges=yes will use litning.shp. The TeslaZap uses a projectile and warhead that are used with other weapons. Projectile=Inivisble is used for many weapons and Warhead=Super for the Camera and AM Carrier weapon. I have Super on other weapons as well and the litning.shp isn't used. litning.shp is hardcoded to the Charges=yes key. I made the TTankZap and PortaTesla weapons into Chem Spray weapons so the  litning.shp is not coded to the Tesla weapons.

I don't think there is away to change the litning.shp by any rule key.

Ah okay, thanks

Does that mean you converted Flame Dancers set 2?  If so, would you like me to include it with the Mega Compilation, or will it be included with a future release of the unofficial patch?

I have already finished converting all of the missions at ra.afraid.org that looked good enough to play (about 90 of them) and am about to move on to the campaigns.  It is perfect timing that you updated this utility, because many of the campaigns have custom shp files.  The only problem now is with any campaign that has custom sounds, since those cannot be included as far as I know (or am I wrong?).

I converted it long time ago manually already, but sounds are not working so i didn't release it...

Could in theory release it since it's fully playable, but it would just be incomplete :(

Some sounds might even work, but didn't try it yet. I think you can specify custom filenames via rules.ini.

Maybe you looked for the wrong thing; it's technically called "Flame Dancers: Genesis", and it's the only Flame Dancers campaign for RA1; the first one was for C&C1.

Here's a dump of all the old Planet C&C RA1 content; the file in there for the Flame Dancers campaign is "genesis.zip".

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mirrors/ftp.planetquake.com/planetcnc/ra/

Maybe you looked for the wrong thing; it's technically called "Flame Dancers: Genesis", and it's the only Flame Dancers campaign for RA1; the first one was for C&C1.

Here's a dump of all the old Planet C&C RA1 content; the file in there for the Flame Dancers campaign is "genesis.zip".

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/mirrors/ftp.planetquake.com/planetcnc/ra/

Thanks.  Does anyone have the files already extracted?  I don't want to run an .exe file...

lol, it has a graphical installer program. I fired up DOSBox and got them out.

There are two separate campaigns that apparently can't be installed together. It deletes the files of the first when installing the second.

The program contains a lot more than that, though. There's a load of background story and stuff like that which isn't anywhere in it in text format, but can only be viewed through the program. So I went ahead and made a bunch of screenshots of it. I packed it all together here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/missions/ra1-fd-genesis.zip

Interesting...  Were these stories incorporated in to set 1 released with the latest patch? 

I can take a look at set 2 and try to include it in the mega compilation depending on how many custom sounds there are.  If there is an overwhelming amount of work, I will put it off until later (but I will keep the extracted version on my HD for sure).

I attached the extracted set2 with all files having proper names and the duplicate missions removed (some A and B versions were the same)

So it looks like I just have to run it through your mission converter and it is all set, minus the sounds, right?  I will take a look at those sounds and see what they replace, and if they are really necessary.

I attached the extracted set2 with all files having proper names and the duplicate missions removed (some A and B versions were the same)

So it looks like I just have to run it through your mission converter and it is all set, minus the sounds, right?  I will take a look at those sounds and see what they replace, and if they are really necessary.

Yes, minus sounds, minus modified diamonds (he turned it into tiberium)

Maybe make it number 129, that's what i reserved for it