RA95 EDWIN.EXE Versions

CCHyper

OK, I need some help from people.

It seems that in the depths of my project folder I have a EDWIN.EXE I was working on when I first looked into adding high resolution to RA95. But it seems this version of EDWIN.EXE that I based my patch on does not match the version that appears in the vanilla install of RA95 nor the First Decade version.

So I was wondering if people could help me if finding out where this version come from, as my one seems to have a total displacement of 0x13C bytes.

If some of you could open your EDWIN.EXE at offset 0x504C in a Hex Editor and tell me first 5 bytes you see.

If you have; 53 51 56 57 55, then you have the same version as I have, and I need to know what your RA install is like and where/how you installed it.

If you have; EC 0C 00 00 00, this is the normal verison of EDWIN.EXE that the majority of people have.

Would really appreciate any help :)

It seems the version on my original English ISOs (made from my own CDs) has your mystery version, while the german and French isos I got have the EC 0C 00 00 00 one.

In fact, the ISOs released by EA also have that 53 51 56 57 55 version...

I have a EC 0C 00 00 00. I think I got this from FunkyFresh or PortableRA as it can run in windowed mode.

I also have a 53 51 56 57 55. This is the old version that came with my Red Alert The Domination Pack (includes Allied, Soviet, Conterstrike and Aftermath disks in one case) The EDWIN on my 2 CD set that only includes the Allied and Soviet disks also has this version as well.

Thanks guys!

After spending a good few hours performing a analysis using BinDiff (Thank the lord for such a beautiful IDA plugin), I have come to the decision that it must have been recompiled at some point, but no serious/important code update.

@Nyerguds: Do you know where I can find the ISO's for either version? All I want to do is check the filename. Vanilla RA EDWIN.EXE is 09th Nov '96, 02:57:14.

I suspect they're different binaries shipped with different game versions (original and expansions?) or do the expansions not come with EDWIN.EXE? I just mounted the Counterstrike ISO but I don't see EDWIN.EXE on it so it might be extracting or patching EDWIN.EXE in its installer.

I suspect they're different binaries shipped with different game versions (original and expansions?) or do the expansions not come with EDWIN.EXE? I just mounted the Counterstrike ISO but I don't see EDWIN.EXE on it so it might be extracting or patching EDWIN.EXE in its installer.

I have Counterstrike and Aftermath installed by CD from my Red Alert The Domination Pack. ( I still have XP that can user the installer program). They did not patch the EDWIN.EXE according to time and date. Also WinMerge says that the EDWIN.EXE the came with 1.04 on on my Alled disk is identical to the EDWIN.EXE in my old Counterstrike and Aftermath installed RedAlert folder.

My guess is that 53 51 56 57 55 from all of the old CDs and EC 0C 00 00 00 is form TFD and the free ISOs.

I have Counterstrike and Aftermath installed by CD from my Red Alert The Domination Pack. ( I still have XP that can user the installer program). They did not patch the EDWIN.EXE according to time and date. Also WinMerge says that the EDWIN.EXE the came with 1.04 on on my Alled disk is identical to the EDWIN.EXE in my old Counterstrike and Aftermath installed RedAlert folder.

My guess is that 53 51 56 57 55 from all of the old CDs and EC 0C 00 00 00 is form TFD and the free ISOs.

The Free ISO's I downloaded had the same EDWIN as the vanilla RA95 disks. So it must have been the TFD installation only that has a different EDWIN...