One of us crashes every single game

wants2playbutcantsadface

Question

14 answers to this question

Wasn't for sure if I needed to create a new thread or not since seems like this thread is closely related.

First off, I sincerely thank and appreciate the time and effort Nyerguds and "the crew" has helped with making this possible. C&C95 was my first RTS, its release date was the reason I stopped using MACs, and I almost get that same feeling again from first playing it at a retail's demo station on the floor and purchasing it at the retail store, all at once the experiences return to me when I began playing it again here today. With how technology is now, that is hardware outpacing software, I was afraid this game was forever lost. Now I am glad to see not all is lost and I am surprised there is such a huge fan club, which I was not ever aware of until now. Very nice the online connectivity still being around. So, again, well done dudes!! Appears Nyerguds is the guy that started all of this and was trying to donate except something happened; I will see how to donate to ya some how. If someone can tell me how to directly donate to Nyerguds (ensuring it is actually Nyerguds), then I will send a donation. Well done!!

But... There is one major buzz kill whenever my buds and I are trying to connect through LAN.

Problem is occurring within the C&C95 Gold Game > Multiplayer Game > Network. The machine's involved either have Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) or Windows 7 Profession (64bit). Connecting through a wireless router instead of direct LAN hub.

Within the C&C95 Gold game, one of us will select "new" to host a game then the game will show up on everyone's Games list for only 6 seconds before it disappears. I figured that we had quickly connect to the Game before it disappears. So, my buds and I all quickly connected to the game. The game launched fine at first, but, within seconds, others are thrown the "Mission Accomplished" message, goes to summary screen, a memory or end process very briefly appears (couldn't get a screenshot of it) before all is kicked to the in-game (C&C95 Gold) LAN Network lobby, and leaves the host with a "Other system not responding" message. However, when someone else hosts and starts a game, then everything is ok for a while until this happens again.

Seems I am having better luck than the author of this thread, but seems to be the same problem.

This seems to be a firewall issue... do you have any firewall or internet security software running in your computer?

That was the first approach we tried. Turned off the Window's Firewall, Wireless Router Firewalls, and all security programs.... When we did this, Internet was disconnected as well.

Why dont you play in the cncnet 5 lobby? it supports LAN games too

Tried the "cncnet5.exe", chose the LAN option, then logged in, but apparently requires an Internet connection. Internet connection shouldn't be required if trying to play on just a local LAN network.

I appreciate the fast responses! Continue to throw ideas out. I am willing to try it all. :)

Going to continue play around to see if this will work. Everyone is gone now, but trying to make this work between my business laptop and desktop. Still get the same issue...

Going to try the Manual Port Forward instructions for my router in the thread http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=912.0. Gonna also try just direct LAN to LAN connection with a cat5 cable between the 2 computers rather than through a router.

Will post what happens.

Oddest thing is that... Everything is OK when my desktop computer hosts and my laptop joins... Then... When my laptop hosts and my desktop joins, then my desktop's C&C95 Gold instantly says "Mission Accomplished" and my laptop's C&C95 Gold says "waiting for connection....

Ok. Now... My laptop will not even start C&C95, which it was starting fine for many times over while trying to figure this out, but the C&C95.exe is showing in the "Processes" tab within the Windows Task Manager. Also, forgot to mention, this particular laptop is running Windows XP Professional. So, then, uninstatalled, deleted the Westwood directory, and reinstalled C&C95... Shutdown laptop and started... C&C95 will not start now, just only has the process name within the Windows Task Manager... Grrrr.... Now, I gotta figure out how to get C&C95 to start working.

NEVERMIND... Got C&C95 running again on my laptop.... I went into CCConfig, changed the Visual options back to the original settings. Then, C&C95 started just fine... Changed the options back to what I want... C&C95 starts fine now on my laptop...

Now, back to trying to get this LAN network thing to work.

It's all good. I figured I would run into problems. Going to try everything though to get it to work tho! :)

Forgot to mention also... Back when I was with my buds, once we all finally and successfully got connected after many tries,  after finishing a match and returning to the C&C95 main menu, the mouse would freeze and some fellas had to Force Close the game and restart it to get it to work again. I figure the workaround of Force Close and Restart is good, but thought I'd share. No worries. :)

Going to try the direct cat5 LAN connection and also, with the router option, going to try the port forwarding mentioned in the hyperlink I posted above.

Right, LAN in cncnet was just added as an extra goodie and yes, you need to have an active internet connection :) You dont need to open ports in a LAN, i guess your problems are caused by any security program you installed (even if you turned them off, those might screw things up still)

Sounds like, since turning all of the associates security services off would not help, the only other recourse you are suggesting that the problem computers must uninstall all security programs. Hmmm... I don't know about that.... Sounds to me to be a bit extreme.

So, if when using a wireless connection/router as the LAN medium, then I do not have to be concerned about the ports?

The problem can be also a lot complexier than it seems. As you say that your computer is a laptop with XP professional and Wireless connection may imply that the laptop has an old Wi-Fi Card, and since C&C uses UDP protocol may cause some packages to be lost. Maybe what you actually got is a Hardware issue, as your card may be messing up with the game packages that you should receive. Check if you got the lastest Wi-Fi driver installed, and the ratio of packages lost in the wi-fi connection.