strange AI behavior

atenzor

Im trying to make it so that the AI builds a base by himself instead of the player. Here is what I usually do:

1) take any single player mission, ex: mission 2 from allies

2) allow player control of country Greece, but put AI level to max (5)

3) start mission, move MCV to location (manually) and deploy

4) AI starts to build base? NOPE!

Some people say it's because the AI doesn't have a lot of space to build... but how much space do you need and what kind of space? do I remove terrain? units? nearby ore? what is the radius of the space?

Also.... is there any way to change this weird behavior of needing space to build? why not build like a human would do and sometimes you need to build close in tight spaces?

I tried to also remove all teamtypes and triggers from the mission and it still doesn't work...

Also.... two other weird things I noticed...

1) if AI set to 5 (but maybe other levels too) and you have player control over it, it starts to build a structure (power plant for example, or I am assuming it is building power plant cause I don't see what is currently building by the AI, but logical assumption to make at the start of construction yard), but it never builds it...(space problem?) and cash keeps going down (build) but then... goes back up????? and repeats...

2) Sometimes.... the AI somehow builds a Kennel and an Ore Refinery even before having a power plant?

the hell? don't tell me this is why AI in skirmish is hard to beat.... LOL skips tier progression...

I don't know, but those are the current annoying problems I am having. I am using the default settings from the installer from http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/

Let me know how to fix/bypass one or all of those problems and thanks a lot guys! :)

The AI can't build a base for player. It will however build unit for the player once you built a Bar/WF. It will also sell Naval Yard/SubPen and Repair Depot. Sell Power Plants if you no longer need them.

2) This shouldn't happen unless you changed the Prerequisite for the Kennel and Ore Refinery.

2) This shouldn't happen unless you changed the Prerequisite for the Kennel and Ore Refinery.

A singleplayer IQ=5 house has a strange behavior. I had this too.

Also, a IQ=5 enemy build vehicles from both houses and even before the prerequisite building is constructed (including ants when their techlevel isn't -1 :huh:).

I recommend to not set the IQ to 5 for the player house.

You can set another house to 5 and PlayerControl=yes, for what reason else...

A singleplayer IQ=5 house has a strange behavior. I had this too.

Also, a IQ=5 enemy build vehicles from both houses and even before the prerequisite building is constructed (including ants when their techlevel isn't -1 :huh:).

I recommend to not set the IQ to 5 for the player house.

You can set another house to 5 and PlayerControl=yes, for what reason else...

haha yes that is something else I forgot to mention, AI builds units from both houses...

So maybe put IQ=4 ? or just give AI barracks/war factory and he will do the rest?

Won't work. IQ is set in the rules. Building of buildings and units are contolled from the same key.

[iQ]
MaxIQLevels=5           ; the maximum number of discrete IQ levels
SuperWeapons=4          ; super weapons are automatically fired by computer
Production=5            ; building/unit production is automatically controlled by computer
GuardArea=4             ; newly produced units start in guard area mode
RepairSell=1            ; allowed to choose repair or sell of damaged buildings
AutoCrush=2             ; automatically try to crush antogonists if possible
Scatter=3               ; will scatter from incoming threats [grenades and such]
ContentScan=4           ; will consider contents of transport when picking good target
Aircraft=4              ; automatically replace aircraft or helicopters
Harvester=2             ; automatically replace lost harvesters
SellBack=2              ; allowed to sell buildings

Won't work. IQ is set in the rules. Building of buildings and units are contolled from the same key.

[iQ]
MaxIQLevels=5           ; the maximum number of discrete IQ levels
SuperWeapons=4          ; super weapons are automatically fired by computer
Production=5            ; building/unit production is automatically controlled by computer
GuardArea=4             ; newly produced units start in guard area mode
RepairSell=1            ; allowed to choose repair or sell of damaged buildings
AutoCrush=2             ; automatically try to crush antogonists if possible
Scatter=3               ; will scatter from incoming threats [grenades and such]
ContentScan=4           ; will consider contents of transport when picking good target
Aircraft=4              ; automatically replace aircraft or helicopters
Harvester=2             ; automatically replace lost harvesters
SellBack=2              ; allowed to sell buildings

Wait... what is AutoCrush ? is that basically that when unit is built, it will go and hunt for other houses?

or just crush as in crush infantry with a vehicle? and what happens if you put everything to max 5? what happens if you put MaxIQLevels=6 or more? does it even work? because assuming you can set the IQ within each mission, why would they give you an INI value for you to change the MaxIQLevels? if it was locked to 5, there is no need to put that in INI, unless you can increase it and then increase the other values accordingly?

AutoCrush is used with

Crush=1.5               ; if this close (cells) to crushable target, then crush instead of firing upon it (computer only)

The computer only part is also a lie

PlayerAutoCrush=no      ; Will player controlled units automatically try to crush enemy infantry?

Change all to 5 wouldn't do a thing. IQ works like this. At IQ=1 the AI will use RepairSel. With IQ=2 the AI will use RepairSel from IQ=1 plus, AutoCrush, Harvester and SellBack that are need IQ=2. Each time the IQ goes up it still will use the lower IQ keys.

I'm not sure if that MaxIQLevels= can be set over 5. IQ for the AI is set in the map/mission for each side

[Greece]
Allies=Spain
Credits=60
Edge=south
IQ=2
TechLevel=6

MaxIQLevels may be needed in the rules for the multiplayer/skrimish AI.