Yuri Revenge, any alternative port?

richie86

Question

12 answers to this question

While the

irc.cncnet.org

servers do listen on alternative ports, I can't seem to get the YR client to connect to any of them, even though it has a "

CnCNet_Port_2=6667

" line in its control file (no matter what you change it to, it connects to port 6667 anyway and overwrites any change in the

.ini

back to

).

The client seems to have some default settings hardcoded into it, but hacking the exe is pointless as it fails a hash check and gets replaced by the original one. I don't see any command line switches to specify a destination port either. So, dunno.

I think the cnc client needs to connect to the irc server which serves as a pool or waiting lounge for all players. IRC TCP ports by general is from 6665-7001. SO if the isp is blocking irc they had surely blocked these range.

If you cannot request from your isp to add an exception for your connection, since the YR client doesnt offer any customizable connection option (like connect through a socks proxy), you can use a vpn connection.

The alternate ports CnCNet servers listen on are 8000 and 443, so they're out of that range, hence that shouldn't be an issue. The problem is to convince the YR client to connect to a port other than 6667 in the first place.

(I even tried to patch the port number in RAM, but the fact the client has such a large memory footprint doesn't help at all, there are way too many locations matching the little-endian representation of the number to change and all I accomplished was crashing the client.)

Seems to me that just throwing the client in a disassembler and finding and replacing the number is a lot easier :P

'course, you could just request it be made a setting... as richie86 here did :P

yep a request can be made for future updated client with configurable connection setting.

Though IDK if it can be done using a hex editor to edit this setting

[MultiPlayer]

CnCNet_Port_2=6667

CnCNet_Server=irc.cncnet.org

CnCNet_Autologin=false

PingCustomTunnels=true

Though IDK if it can be done using a hex editor to edit this setting

[MultiPlayer]

CnCNet_Port_2=6667

CnCNet_Server=irc.cncnet.org

CnCNet_Autologin=false

PingCustomTunnels=true

That's what I've been referring to earlier. The above that's found within

Settings.ini

seems being ignored (and overwritten with defaults if changed). The exe itself has these settings inside it too, but tampering with it serves no purpose as a modified exe will not pass checksum validation and will be overwritten with an unmodified copy.

Nyerguds: yes, I guess you're right about the disassembler, but of course even more so about actually a "civilized" method to change the port being called for rather than some silly hacks (I was merely experimenting).

BTW Rampastring's client  behaves elsewhere (i.e. with the mods it was originally created for, TDotTA and TI) just the same, ignoring the

.ini

setting and always connecting to port 6667.