TS doesn't work on Windows 10

tohny

Hi everybody.

I've just installed CnC Tiberian Sun using the installer on cncnet on my Windows 10 9926 build, but the game won't even start at all after the launcher.

I can see game.exe sitting at high CPU usage like 50 percent or even more, but nothing happens.

I've tried switching video options, tried different compatibility modes, but nothing works.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

We have not tested TS on windows 10 yet. You'll will have to wait some more time, the problem is probably about the same as windows8

Right, and was there a fix for the issue on Windows 8? Is there a how-to or a tutorial to actually make it work?

Thanks.

We have not tested TS on windows 10 yet. You'll will have to wait some more time, the problem is probably about the same as windows8

So after chatting to funky over irc, apparently one has to delete wsock32.dll from the game folder for both Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 1 in order for them to work, but TS displays a white screen regardless of what video settings I choose, though I can hear the buttons clicking and the game actually working, but it's all white.

At least this is some progress....

What I have been able to find out though is that the error I get in TS after it starts (that I can sometimes see by randomly clicking around buttons while they are still white), is this: Westwood online support library is missing or invalid

Apparently there are some game fixes here: http://www.thegameengine.org/tiberian-sun/westwood-online-support-library-is-missing-or-invalid/

But these seem to not apply to the cncnet installer.

Any other ideas anyone else?

Well, apparently all I needed to do is disable windowed mode and select default draw and nothing else, and it works straight off the bat. In windowed mode it whines about 16 bit stuff.

The problem now is that everything is sluggish in terms of scrolling while in game for example, and also, I cant access any other menus other than the first one, because nothing is shown otherwise.

I can go back by hitting esc, and can click on new campaign and hit a blind enter and then it goes into the game.

But other than that I cant do anything other than play in really slow motion and am not able to save or anything. Even hitting space while in the game freezes the game.

Ive tried that windows 7 second screen thing, it doesn't help at all.

So apparently here's how to get TS working on Windows 10:

download the official EA game from somewhere on the internet

download funkyfr3sh's patch installer from http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3438.0 and install

go to game folder and delete wsocks32.dll

and set your video settings to default draw and non-windowed mode!

Everything should work then.

I had a longer workaround, but am testing this method myself right now, but it should work!