RA2/YR no LAN option? CnCNet5

hippox89

I tried starting a local game of YR between two PCs that's connected on a local LAN, but when I unplugged my network cable (for testing purpose) to the internet - not to the switch actually connecting the PCs - the game clients lost connection to each others. I know CnCNet5 requires an internet connection, but didn't know that the game clients themselves would lose connection. So what I just want to know is if the network performance is lowered when using CnCNet5 compared to playing without CnCNet5 and instead using the LAN patch instead? Or are the local PCs actually still talking directly between them even though an internet connection is required? I mean, solely this must still be the case as the game is peer to peer, right?

Downloaded this, and had my brother and friends download it on their Origin account as well. Figured we'd bring back the golden days of CNC LAN'ning. Got the LAN patch up and running,.. only to find out the Origin version of RA2 still uses serials, and apparently uses the same serial for every copy for every account. The game connects just fine over LAN, but it won't allow any Origin user to join the game of any other Origin user.

Now, I still have my old multi-CD copy lying around, so I actually got a legit spare serial, and wanted to input that in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>EA Games>Serial/CD-Key, but there does not seem to be a registry entry for the serial. I subsequently checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>%, and all other possible locations (the Origin version of RA2 seems to create quite a few registry folders), but to no avail. There isn't a serial anywhere to be found!

Has anyone else found a workaround using the Origin version of RA2 yet, or has had better luck finding the CD-Key registry entry?

Edit: wrong thread, reposted this is the correct thread on the Origin version.

I don't think LAN actually checks for a legit serial; you just need to dump some random crap into the serial field in the registry and make sure it's different on the two PCs. Only the CD installer actually checks the game serial's validity.

Oh, and the fact the serial registry entries can't be found is probably part of the problem; I think the Origin version simply doesn't create them. This means it defaults to the same thing when checked by the game. You just have to create the registry entry to fix that. I suggest you google it to see what entries exactly you need to create.

I don't think LAN actually checks for a legit serial; you just need to dump some random crap into the serial field in the registry and make sure it's different on the two PCs. Only the CD installer actually checks the game serial's validity.

Oh, and the fact the serial registry entries can't be found is probably part of the problem; I think the Origin version simply doesn't create them. This means it defaults to the same thing when checked by the game. You just have to create the registry entry to fix that. I suggest you google it to see what entries exactly you need to create.

Ha,.. hadn't thought of that: actually adding a registry entry. Gonna try and post the results.

Either adding registry entries named 'Serial', or modifying the WOLData.key file with notepad (which is more difficult, since the numbers inside don't seem to correspond to any serial key one could add) seems to does the trick. However, I still can't connect. I'd probably have to adjust my router settings. Overall though, it just doesn't seem to be worth it. CNCNet's online modification seems to work just fine on the Origin version. It's easier to have each PC on the network connect to internet separately and then set up a game. It's not like RA2 is such a bandwidth hogger anno 2015 anyway.