Made a map, want to test it

Jeod

It's a singleplayer map. Problem is, I don't know how to get it into the covert operations mission list! I need to know how to put it into the covert ops mission list.

EDIT: I got it on the list, but I can't get the triggers for the nuke and ion cannon to work right.

[basic]

CarryOverCap=-1

CarryOverMoney=100

Intro=x

BuildLevel=98

Theme=I_AM

Percent=100

Player=GoodGuy

Action=x

Lose=GAMEOVER

Win=GDIEND1

Brief=x

Name=Impenetrable Fortress

[MAP]

Height=62

Width=62

Y=1

X=1

Theater=TEMPERATE

[bRIEFING]

1=Nod is making a last stand. With their leader's dissapearance, the enigmatic

2=generals are desparate. They have taken one of our elite ion breakthrough

3=bases and converted it to their own liking. Destroy the base at all cost.

4=Capture the advanced communications center. Do not destroy it.

5=Resources are limited. Build wisely, commander.

[Waypoints]

<snip>

[GoodGuy]

Allies=GoodGuy

MaxBuilding=150

MaxUnit=150

Edge=South

Credits=100

[badGuy]

Allies=BadGuy

MaxBuilding=150

MaxUnit=150

Edge=North

Credits=200

[sTRUCTURES]

000=BadGuy,EYE,256,130,0,ADV

001=BadGuy,TMPL,256,69,0,None

<snip>

[base]

<snip>

[TERRAIN]

<snip>

[OVERLAY]

<snip>

[sMUDGE]

[iNFANTRY]

<snip>

[uNITS]

<snip>

[TeamTypes]

Team1=BadGuy,0,0,0,0,0,15,0,0,0,4,E1:1,E4:2,E2:2,E5:3,1,Attack Base:50,0,0

Defense=BadGuy,0,0,0,0,0,15,0,0,0,3,STNK:5,BIKE:2,RMBO:1,1,Defend Base:20,0,0

GDI Reinforcements=GoodGuy,0,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,3,MCV:1,HTNK:2,JEEP:2,1,Defend Base:0,0,0

[Triggers]

Nuke=Player Enters,Nuclear Missile,0,BadGuy,None,1

Ion=Time,Ion Cannon,100,BadGuy,None,1

ADV Comm Destroyed=None,Cap,0,Lose,0,0

Team1=Time,Create Team,60,BadGuy,Team1,1

Allow Win=None,Allow Win,0,GoodGuy,None,1

Reinforcements=Time,Reinforce.,100,GoodGuy,GDI Reinforcements,1

Defend Team=None,None,0,BadGuy,Defense,1

[CellTriggers]

1824=Nuke

1889=Nuke

1825=Nuke

1888=Nuke

1890=Nuke

1823=Nuke

4011=Reinforcements

In fact, none of the triggers seem to work right. The AI doesn't build teams, the nuke and ion cannon never hit my base, and I can't capture the adv comm center. (I don't even lose when I destroy it)

good gods... too much mess in that post. I cleaned it up and only kept the stuff that's important.

1. Any missions with a number over 20 are added to the Covert Ops list. See CCManual Chapter 4: How to make your mission playable

2. Trigger names should only be up to 4 characters long, and without spaces. As you see, the Badguy EYE structure only has the first word of that trigger name now ("ADV").

3. Same for team names, but they can be up to 8 characters

4. The Advanced Comm Center isn't capturable except in Nod mission 12. It's a special exception. There is no way to add that to your mission.

5. You have no waypoints. Add at least waypoint #26 to indicate the start position of the player's screen.

6. You have no 'Production' trigger. Without starting Production, the AI will not build any units or rebuild any structures.

7. The Nuke celltrigger is set to Badguy. Get this in your head, the "owner" of a trigger IS A RESTRICTION ON WHO CAN ACTIVATE THE TRIGGER. It has NO EFFECT on who gets the result (except for the Airstrike trigger). This means that your Nuke trigger will only work if Nod units walk on those celltriggers.

8. "Reinforcements"is a timed trigger. It should not have a celltrigger associated with it. It's either a celltrigger or a timed trigger, but not both. Celltriggers only work if the trigger cause is set to "Player Enters".

9. The format of the "ADV Comm Destroyed" trigger is all wrong. It should be "Any,Cap=Win/Des=Lose,0,None,None,0". This is a very special trigger that can ONLY be used in that format. See the ini file of Nod mission 12. But as I said, it won't work since the ACC being capturable is an exception in just that mission, which won't work in any other missions.

10. These GDI reinforcements, where do they come from? How do they arrive? If they just come from the edge of the map, You should make them move to a waypoint or they'll probably never even move onto the play field. Don't use special AI commands like "Defend Base" for player reinforcements.

Sorry, it is my first time doing this.

1. I already found that out.

2. So unless it's 4:8, the trigger won't work?

3. Stated above.

4. Ok, so I'll need to make the mission something else.

5. I added waypoint 26 after posting that.

6. I wasn't aware of a production trigger. How's that work?

7. I set it to goodguy with the same results. It may be because the production trigger isn't there, but the nuke still doesn't hit my base.

8. How else do reinforcements know what cell of the south part of the map to enter from? Also, how to I even make them move to a certain cell?

9. Thanks for the info, that'll help in other mission maps I plan to make.

10. Stated in 8.

Thanks for the help! Also, I tried uploading the ini file as an attachment. It didn't work because the file extension isn't allowed.

Okay, thanks. Everything works except:

1. The Ion Cannon still doesn't fire. Nod AI can't use the ion cannon weapon apparently.

2. I set the capture=win/destroy=lose trigger to the Nod CY following Nyerguds' instructions. But it doesn't work.

3. Nod doesn't build vehicles, it seems. Fixed

4. The reinforcements enter where I want them to, but they keep moving up even though I set a "move to cell" command.

5. The AI will build units, but not rebuild structures. A production trigger error?

*The ini and bin file is attached below

*Nyerguds, may I inquire about how to make .aud files? I want to add some music to my game

*How to I make a screenshot that shows the entire map?

Testmap.rar

Right... Jeod, one small piece of advice... Please, just look at the original missions, copy the stuff they use in there, and adapt it to how you need it. It's both the fastest way of getting stuff in the mission to work correctly, and the best way to learn how it works. Don't rely on trigger creators in map editors too much; they tend to make mistakes (I'm pretty sure ccmap screws up that cap=win/des=lose trigger) and they sometimes make it hard to see the connections between the celltriggers, triggers, teamtypes and waypoints.

The original missions are perfect examples of how it's all done correctly.

Anyway, my answers:

2. So unless it's 4:8, the trigger won't work?

I think longer names generally don't give many problems, but it's possible that they just get cut off internally, meaning something like "createteams1" and "createteams2" won't work because internally it'll be seen as the same thing ("crea"). Anyway, it definitely won't work if the trigger names have spaces.

For this kind of stuff it's generally just a good idea to keep to the system used in the original missions.

4. Ok, so I'll need to make the mission something else.

I'm working on making that kind of exceptions possible in missions with my 1.06 project, but so far, yeah, not possible.

6. I wasn't aware of a production trigger. How's that work?

See original missions. Usually it's either started from the beginning of a mission, after a while, or when a certain trigger is activated that tells the computer that your first objective has been accomplished and you're now ready to start building up your forces. (like in missions where you have to find & capture an abandoned enemy base, or where you need to secure some spot before you get an MCV, or stuff like that)

Either way, before some trigger with the Production action is started, the AI will not produce any new stuff.

7. I set it to goodguy with the same results. It may be because the production trigger isn't there, but the nuke still doesn't hit my base.

Production doesn't affect superweapons. Not sure why it doesn't work, unless you didn't deploy your base yet. The AI can't target units with superweapons.

8. How else do reinforcements know what cell of the south part of the map to enter from? Also, how to I even make them move to a certain cell?

TRiGGERS are things that make something HAPPEN. CELLtriggers are CELLS that make a trigger happen. A trigger has NO effect whatsoever on the teamtype that is reinforced or produced as a result of the trigger. As for where the TEAM goes to, that has to be programmed into the team. Learn the basics of controlling teams from my ccmanual text file and the original missions.

As for how to control where the reinforcements appear, that is done by making an impassable border just outside the visible part of the map at the side the reinforcements come from (the Edge= setting of the house), and making a hole in that 'wall' where you want the units to appear. See the bottom of this mission for an example of that:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/mappics/miss_cov_GDI/scg23ea_Hell's_Fury.png

1. The Ion Cannon still doesn't fire. Nod AI can't use the ion cannon weapon apparently.

No way to solve that. Airstrike is the only superweapon that goes to the trigger owner; ion and nuke are simply for GDI and for Nod. An ion cannon trigger in a GDI mission will simply give you instant ion cannon. But you can only actually use it if you have an ACC. Same for Nod's nuke.

2. I set the capture=win/destroy=lose trigger to the Nod CY following Nyerguds' instructions. But it doesn't work.

Then why does the trigger in the ini file look like this?

Obj=Any,Cap,0,Lose,0,0

As I said, it should be

Obj=Any,Cap=Win/Des=Lose,0,None,None,0

4. The reinforcements enter where I want them to, but they keep moving up even though I set a "move to cell" command.

Don't use Move To Cell. Use it like it's done in the original missions, with normal Move, using waypoints. Move To Cell has never been tested. I think there's a reason it's never used.

5. The AI will build units, but not rebuild structures. A production trigger error?

There is an error in that trigger... it repeats for no reason (it has "1" at the end). Production should only be started once.

As for your rebuilding problem, one look at your map reveals that the Advanced Power Plants (the first numbers in the [base] list, and thus the first it will try to rebuild) will have trouble getting rebuilt because you didn't leave space for their bibs. Same for pretty much ALL buildings on your map.

Nyerguds, may I inquire about how to make .aud files? I want to add some music to my game

uhh... with XCC Mixer... make a mono-track 22khz wav file, and in XCC use Copy As AUD. You can't add actual new music without editing the exe file though. You can only replace existing music. There's a WinAmp plugin that does it too, and that way is easier because it takes care of the conversion for you (I think).

How to I make a screenshot that shows the entire map?

With XCC Editor. There's a tutorial to set up XCC Editor in the Mapping Tutorials section. Once a map is opened in XCC Editor, you can just save the map as BMP file. Then you can convert that to PNG to reduce the file size.

I'm going to have a looksie anyway, because I'm going to make a new campaign.

1. I'll keep names short then.

2. Awesome, tell me when it's done!  :P

3. I originally did have production at 0, but saw that the AI didn't rebuilt structures and so tried a loop. (By the way, I still don't know the difference between and loops and or loops. I don't think your guide overs that) I didn't think of the bibs, my bad.

4. I got the nuke working.

5. I didn't know 'move to cell' was erroneous. I haven't learned waypoints yet, but I'll research that over the weekend.

6. Can that be fixable in your upcoming patch?

7. The trigger edit box wouldn't let me set the team to none for some reason. Manually editing is a good alternative though.

8. I was going to replace "act on instinct" with a remix.

2. Awesome, tell me when it's done!  :P

When I release C&C95 patch 1.06c, that's when. It'll undoubtably be announced all over the community :P

3. I originally did have production at 0, but saw that the AI didn't rebuilt structures and so tried a loop. (By the way, I still don't know the difference between and loops and or loops. I don't think your guide overs that) I didn't think of the bibs, my bad.

It does cover that. Basically, if the trigger has multiple possible activations (like, the  Destroyed trigger linked to multiple SAM sites to activate the airstrike in pretty much all GDI campaign missions), then "1" makes it activate only after ALL of them are triggered, while "2" makes it activate every separate time it's triggered.

For triggers that are not linked to different causes, 1 and 2 both just make it repeat (like for timed triggers).

7: if 0: trigger is activated only once.
  if 1: trigger is activated only once when all units/buildings with this
        trigger have been activated.
  (used in GDI missions: you get Airstrikes when all SAM's are destroyed)
  if 2: trigger is activated every time when any of the units/buildings
        with this trigger have been activated.
  -if 1 or 2: trigger keeps being activated when the number at place 4
              is reached.

5. I didn't know 'move to cell' was erroneous. I haven't learned waypoints yet, but I'll research that over the weekend.

It's not hard. You set the cell in the Waypoints list, and then use Move:## where ## is that waypoint. This system was designed so attack paths used by the AI could be recycled for multiple teams.

6. Can that be fixable in your upcoming patch?

The airstrike/nuke thing? No... I managed to expand the triggers to add new ones, but I still don't know how to actually change what they do. So far I just added more duplicates of the Destroy Trigger function, so you can have up to 6 destroyable triggers instead of 3.

7. The trigger edit box wouldn't let me set the team to none for some reason. Manually editing is a good alternative though.

I never used trigger generators in the first place...

Actually the file used in cnc95 is aoi.aud. In the scores.mix. I assume I'd also need to do something to game.exe as well.

If you use 1.06b, and have "Remixes" activated in the conquer.ini file (which is the default setting), then Act on Instinct already has a remix. This means that AOI.AUD will not be read. Instead it'll read AOI.VAR. I could give a list of all themes in the game that have such remixes, if you want.

The Hovercrafts follow pretty much the same rule as other reinforcements. You just need that rock border. Only, passable terrain for them is water, of course. See

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/mappics/miss_N64_Nod/SCB01N64.png

As you see, for hovercrafts, normal clear terrain is enough to act as "impassable". The Hovercraft should always stop at a shore.