LAN play and installing the Covert Operations.

Titan Joe

Question

I got a few problems.  I just put C&C on the Windows Xp computer.  I want to do LAN play against my brother on his Windows 7 computer.  Every time the game starts it says that we are out of sync and we cannot play.  That just wont do.  We both have the 1.06b patch.  Both games run on their own.  My brother's computer has messed up colors and I cannot figure out why.  The other information I found here does seem to apply.  Also the last problem has me even more perplexed.  I cannot install the Covert Ops.  I figured that me not having that might be the reason for the multiplayer crashes.  I'm running a mounted ISO on my hard drive.  I have compatibility set for windows 95 and when I run the installer it says to "Please run Setup.exe from the CD-ROM disk."  As far as the computer is concerned it is on a disk."  I don't how to get around that one. 

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Ehh, 1.06b already contains the Covert Ops. And either way, CO is just a missions & map pack, it doesn't create any version differences.

Be sure to get the new hotfix of the 1.06b patch though:

http://www.commandandpatch.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44

As for the Covert Ops installer, don't bother with it. It's a DOS program and it malfunctions because it uses outdated methods of trying to determine if you're running it from CD. The logic preventing you from running it off hard disk was WW's first attempt at copy protection. The actual Covert Ops (or at least, the only part you need for C&C95) is simply the SC-000.mix and SC-001.mix files in the INSTALL folder. Copying them to the game folder is all you need to do to install the Covert Ops.

But as I said, don't bother with that, since the 1.06b patch adds it already, with some fixes.

Is your brothers computer a branded computer? If so try to uninstall the dock thing the manufacturer installed, things like "Acer Empowering Technology" etc. This will hopefully fix the colour issue. Or he could try updating DirectX and his video driver to the latest version.