Yuri's Revenge - Unable to set video mode

Cafe_Cafe

Question

Good Morning.

I've updated my win8, to win10 just recently.

I found that running RA2 over win10 is pain in the ass, but been able to fix it.

however, when trying to run yuri i get that message over and over "error - unable to set video mode".

I setted my reso', fixed the INI file for RA2md (videobackbuffer), used compability mode, ddraw, (everything I did in order to fix RA2) and nothing - just that message "error - unable to set video mode" over and over.

what is the different? why does RA2 works (using game.exe) and yuri doesn't?

Help will be appreciated.

16 answers to this question

Try each screen resolution from smallest to largest, and make sure that your monitor is compatible with them. Also set your exe file to run as admin.

Still not working? Can you provide the following info:

• What resolution are you running RA2 in? (Try setting YR to the same resolution if you haven't already done so)
  • Did YR work before you upgraded to Win 10? If so, on which resolution?)
  • Which version of YR are you using?
  • Is YR installed in the Program Files folder? (Some people have had problems with installing their game in this folder)
  • Have you installed cncnet's YR launcher? (If not, try it)
  • Have you changed your graphics card or monitor since YR last worked?

I'm using laptop which support 1368 766, and apparently since Win10 update support only that resolution.

using xwis version of YR it seems to be the most stable one, and i have one in my program files. about the cnc launcher, it seems it is the only one who gave some kind of results, running the launcher and in options->display I changed to IE-DDRAW, then instead of giving me "unable to set video mode", i got "main exuc'".

I would mention that in RA2 I've been able only to run game.exe and not ra2.exe

many thanks.

some progress.

I found out that when I run (all windowed) cnc launcher using ddwrapper.dll the game works just fine, but gets "main exuc" error after a min' or a half.

if I delete ddwrapper.dll, and run the game using default setting, the game will run but too slowly and laggy.

tried reinstall yuri and cncnet all clean other directory, same results.

many thanks

some progress.

I found out that when I run (all windowed) cnc launcher using ddwrapper.dll the game works just fine, but gets "main exuc" error after a min' or a half.

if I delete ddwrapper.dll, and run the game using default setting, the game will run but too slowly and laggy.

tried reinstall yuri and cncnet all clean other directory, same results.

many thanks

Now that you have CnCNet, launch CnCNetYRLauncher.exe, when it loads go to Options. Try a different display renderer in the dropdown list provided. Try ts-ddraw, save, go back to the client menu, try a skirmish game on fastest. Still laggy? Toggle videobackbuffer. Still laggy, toggle render to ie-ddraw etc.

Work your way through those renderers and see how you get on first.

seems ddwrapper is not my problem, when I delete it its slowly and laggy but I also get "main execu" (2-3 min into the game).

tried win98/winME compatibility all same.

also I did try to switch to ts-ddraw and ie-ddraw before, I'm having cncnet for a few month and before win10 it was perfectly fine.

thanks for all the help looks like YR just don't want to work, I'll note you when I'm up to something.

edit:

I'm getting "main execu" when I'm moving the mouse down - "outside of the window"  :laugh:

seems ddwrapper is not my problem, when I delete it its slowly and laggy but I also get "main execu" (2-3 min into the game).

tried win98/winME compatibility all same.

also I did try to switch to ts-ddraw and ie-ddraw before, I'm having cncnet for a few month and before win10 it was perfectly fine.

thanks for all the help looks like YR just don't want to work, I'll note you when I'm up to something.

edit:

I'm getting "main execu" when I'm moving the mouse down - "outside of the window"  :laugh:

Are your video drivers up to date?

Yeah , earlier somewher here in a different thread, I was asking opinion if I should update my win7 to 10. Some guy told me that win10 is somewhat faster than 7 specially in old machines. Kinda tempted. However basing from the horror stories I heard I think ill stick to my good ole win7.

Yeah , earlier somewher here in a different thread, I was asking opinion if I should update my win7 to 10. Some guy told me that win10 is somewhat faster than 7 specially in old machines. Kinda tempted. However basing from the horror stories I heard I think ill stick to my good ole win7.

Win10 making your PC faster? Not necessarily. New ssd will do that for you amongst other things, but generally if Win7 works for you stick until you upgrade your PC, especially if its really old.