CnCNet 1.2 Suggestions

Nyerguds

Question

Right... just some minor issues in the client I'd like to have changed:

-When I open the CnCNet options window and then press Alt+F4 to close it, CnCNet itself closes completely.

-Can you make the [Esc] key close the options and player list windows? Would be handier.

-Please make it so a single right click and a single left click both open the menu.

18 answers to this question

Some things that would be nice:

• Integrate the chat into the cncnet client (IRC would be good for that, there are C# modules available)
  • Fixing the bug that 20 players are shown as "online" even if they aren't: I got a "possible NAT error" all the time until I looked at the source code.
    I tried to "fix" this by letting my cncnet client automatically fetch cncnet.php?a=3 to purge the idle ones every 10 minute, that works quite well.
    (Only problem is that someone who has not been active for 120 seconds is seen as "idle", but the client itself has an announcing/update rate of 180 seconds)
  • I implemented a few things in my cncnet client that I found useful: displaying the IP of players and opening a ping prompt when double clicking on one
  • "Westwood Online"-like game hosting, but I think that is already being discussed in another thread

Irony.. please make an immediate update that does these 2 things:

-disable the Launch on Startup on all client PCs

-remove the option to enable it from the cncnet settings

It's making the server fill with idle people that never join the lobby, and it seems to be causing some kind of overload, because no one can still get packets from other players. The Preferred list almost always stays completely empty for everyone.

Yes, I have a fair bit of experience with C#, but my main interest is with c++ and opengl - I would be glad to help you guys out, tho :)

Is there any way to get a hold of a dev with some kind of instant messanger, like IRC, ICQ or jabber?

Irony... communications methods aside, PLEASE do that update to remove the auto-launch. The current situation is just unplayable. There's over 30 players logged in by noon, and only about 5 of those want to play, and they can't because these other 25 clog up everything :(

The reason I've been a bit out of contact recently was that for janurary and a couple of weeks into feb I was doing exams. Now I've got a heavy load of coursework and pay-work so my time is a little streched atm.

I'm re-installing VS now (not had it installed since I upgraded to windows 7) so I'll probably be able to get an update out today.

as for visiting the chat, I'll try and do it more often, but as I said above, most of my time spent on the computer is doing work (check my steam page, less than an hour of games in the past couple of weeks).

As for getting MSN, I've got an account, but I find it's far too much of a distraction. If I want to talk to my friends I use facebook chat and if someone really needs to get me they can text/call my phone or hit me up on steam chat since I always have that open. If you still want my msn it's

c_n_c_maniac (-at-) hotmail (-dot-) com

but I'm probably only online a couple of times a year.