Tiberian Sun Settings and Options.

AceRevo

Hi all, my first post in this house. I got a few questions about ingame settings and options.

lets start with game options. Can someone please explain these to me?

-Firestorm Game

-Multiple Factory

-Short Game

-Multi Engineer

-Aimable Sams

-Intergrate Mumble

-Attack Neutral Units

And for the Settings:

[Video]

-Fake Vsync

-DirectDraw Emulation

-DxWnd

[Game Options]

-Drag Distance

-Disable Edge Scrolling

Anything else you'd like to add for a noob like me when it comes to best video settings etc (i know its an old game lol) and gameplay wise  please let me know whats on your mind. Love this game and playing this brings up some good memories :)

• Upvote 1

Firestorm game - this was an add-on to the original tiberian sun that has extra units and modifications

Multiple factory - setting they implemented that comes from red alert.  Two barracks, hand of nod, pad, or war factory = u can build more fast (if your money allows it).  Multiple construction yards are the same.  I forget the limit, but you get benefit from having 3-4-5-etc. of said production building until it caps off around like 14 or something (someone have to chime in with exact number)

Short game - when you have no buildings left your other units blow up.  This is to prevent having to spend 30 minutes running around map to find one light infantry hiding behind a tree.

Multi engineer - it takes 3 engineers to steal an enemy building, instead of 1

Aimable sams - you can click a sam and click any enemy air unit in range and target it.  This is hard to do because you have to click moving air units, but you can avoid shooting decoy air units and target important ones if you learn to click moving air units efficiently

Integrate mumble - in the top right corner it says 'voice-chat' that is mumble.  This feature auto groups you and others in mumble into private chat rooms for people on your team in the game, by using the maps built in auto ally options.  This feature is not fully implemented yet until they add code to the server side to support it.

attack neutral units - your units auto attack mutants and viscroids without being told to, so if you are newer player you dont have to get side-tracked multi-tasking and not notice one adult viscroid is owning your whole base.

drag distance - on large monitors with high resolution this patch helps prevent you from accidentally mis-clicking while dragging and selecting units.  if you have high resolution use 16 or 32.

disable edge scrolling - when your mouse is on the edge of the screen it auto-scrolls.  for people with dual monitors or streaming/recording games this is useful to disable.  Holding right click down on mouse and scrolling is how players scroll anyways as the edge scrolling is too slow to really be beneficial, so people like me that stream just disable it.

For video settings I will let someone more knowledgable chime in, but for Windows 7 you want Default rendering with graphics patch on and single processor affinity off most likely.

Im on windows 7 so i cant really comment on other OS, but i know Most users on windows 10 like to use ts-ddraw instead of default.

• Upvote 1

Multiple factory - setting they implemented that comes from red alert.  Two barracks, hand of nod, pad, or war factory = u can build more fast (if your money allows it).  Multiple construction yards are the same.  I forget the limit, but you get benefit from having 3-4-5-etc. of said production building until it caps off around like 14 or something (someone have to chime in with exact number)

Doesn't originate from Red Alert, it is like this in the first C&C as well. As a setting it originates from the Tiberian Sun rules.ini file.

Doesn't originate from Red Alert, it is like this in the first C&C as well. As a setting it originates from the Tiberian Sun rules.ini file.

What is the limit to when it caps off?

[Video]

Just keep the default settings, the installer will try to use the best ones for your OS automatically.

The game normally doesn't work on windows 8 / 10, that's why we kept adding settings to ensure there is at least one that works.

Default rendering is the best for me on windows 10 performance wise, but Alt+Tab doesn't work with it.

DxWnd makes Alt+Tab working but has a worse performance and compatibility.

ddwrapper+directdraw emulation can solve black screen issues but it breaks window mode.

IE-DDraw was what we used initially to solve the windows 8 / 10 problems but it has a very bad performance and scroll bugs.

TS-DDraw is a proxy dll specially made for tiberian sun, it has by far the best performance but some players keep crashing while using it (it is still a beta version)

TL;DR There is no perfect solution for windows 8 / 10 yet