Good ole black screen

Jacen Solo

Question

So unrelated to CnCNet itself.

I just downloaded Red Alert 2 again onto my new SSD. I have the Ultimate Collection on Origin

Installs fine but when I actually launch the game, either RA2 or YR, I just get a blank screen with the music and the mouse pointer. If I click in the correct places I can hear the menus being opened, but obviously the game is unplayable.

I remember solving this problem pretty easy the last time I played using some compatibility fix or the like, but it's been a long time and I no longer remember. So I would really appreciate it if some kind soul could help me out a bit :)

Also, I was wondering whether I need the Ultimate Collection fixed launchers before I could start installing CnCNet? Or does CnCNet work regardless?

And also is there a way to play the game without constantly requiring Origin? And for it not to give me a UAC warning everytime I start the game up? It's really annoying having to click "Yes" every single time...  :ranting:

7 answers to this question

So unrelated to CnCNet itself.

I just downloaded Red Alert 2 again onto my new SSD. I have the Ultimate Collection on Origin

Installs fine but when I actually launch the game, either RA2 or YR, I just get a blank screen with the music and the mouse pointer. If I click in the correct places I can hear the menus being opened, but obviously the game is unplayable.

I remember solving this problem pretty easy the last time I played using some compatibility fix or the like, but it's been a long time and I no longer remember. So I would really appreciate it if some kind soul could help me out a bit :)

Also, I was wondering whether I need the Ultimate Collection fixed launchers before I could start installing CnCNet? Or does CnCNet work regardless?

And also is there a way to play the game without constantly requiring Origin? And for it not to give me a UAC warning everytime I start the game up? It's really annoying having to click "Yes" every single time...  :ranting:

CnCNet will work ontop of your existing installation. Our installers actually provide compatibility fixes anyway, but you can only play Skirmish and Online for Yuri's Revenge.

For RA1/TD/TS there is Single player, Skirmish and Online support. https://cncnet.org/download

The fixed launchers are just for improved command line support from Origin.

The first three games are freeware. No need to involve Origin with those at all if you just download the freeware versions. And you shouldn't need the "run as administrator" if you just set your Origin install folder to somewhere outside of Program Files, so the games can write in their own game folder without needing rights elevation.

CnCNet will work ontop of your existing installation. Our installers actually provide compatibility fixes anyway, but you can only play Skirmish and Online for Yuri's Revenge.

Awesome! Thanks :D

And you shouldn't need the "run as administrator" if you just set your Origin install folder to somewhere outside of Program Files, so the games can write in their own game folder without needing rights elevation.

Oh my gosh why did I only learn of this now!!!  :(

Now I'll have to uninstall it and install it all over again...  :mad:

So no Campaign fixes? :(

I wanted to play the campaign and so I pasted the DwWnd dll into the game folder to fix the black screen. And it works. Kinda

Every 10 seconds or so (I think, I didn't count) the game will freeze and stays that way until I alt-tab out and then back in. So it's still pretty much impossible to play. Anyway to fix this maybe?

So no Campaign fixes? :(

I wanted to play the campaign and so I pasted the DwWnd dll into the game folder to fix the black screen. And it works. Kinda

Every 10 seconds or so (I think, I didn't count) the game will freeze and stays that way until I alt-tab out and then back in. So it's still pretty much impossible to play. Anyway to fix this maybe?

does that also happen when window mode is enabled in the dxwnd.ini ?

Ah sorry guys, I just used DDWrapper instead like Nyerguds has mentioned here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Red-alert-2-black-screen-with-sound-and-mouse/td-p/4287286

Wonder why I didn't just use it in the first place  XD

Only thing now is that if I Alt-Tab the exact opposite happens to when I use DxWnd. I can't get back into the game hahaha  :D

But obviously that's perfectly fine lol