Game Screen isn't visible on Recording Tools / Screenshots

Der_Otten

Hi guys,

I have a problem while trying to make screenshots of the games I play via CnCnet:

If I try to make a screenshot by pressing the "Print" Button on my keyboard, the later saved image just shows my desktop.

The same problem occurs while trying to record the games I play via a recording tool.

I have tried to change the Client settings, but neither of them did solve the issue.

Has anyone else had this or a similar issue, too?

I hope someone here is capable of helping me.

I'll answer any questions if needed.

Thank you :)

Do you mean the "print screen" button?

I know for C&C1 and RA1, when you have cnc-ddraw enabled, Ctrl+S should just save a .png screenshot into the game folder. TS has a built-in screenshot key too (Ctrl+C I believe), but it saves in pcx format so you'll need some image editor (Gimp can open pcx) to re-save it to a more commonly used format, like png.

No idea about RA2 though. Could be the same. Check the manual?

[edit]

Apparently it's Shift+S by default in YR, and Ctrl+C for vanilla RA2, but you can simply configure it in the game's hotkeys. No idea if CnCNet changes any of that by default though.

Apparently it's Shift+S by default in YR, and Ctrl+C for vanilla RA2, but you can simply configure it in the game's hotkeys. No idea if CnCNet changes any of that by default though.

It's important to note that TS/RA2/YR screenshots come in PCX format, which Microsoft no longer has a program to open (not since they dropped the MS Photo Editor from Office 2003), so you'll need a Photoshop equivalent, and put the pixel aspect ratio to 1 manually (PS sets it to 0,56 for no reason). Ares is smart and uses BMP instead :P

It's important to note that TS/RA2/YR screenshots come in PCX format, which Microsoft no longer has a program to open (not since they dropped the MS Photo Editor from Office 2003), so you'll need a Photoshop equivalent, and put the pixel aspect ratio to 1 manually (PS sets it to 0,56 for no reason). Ares is smart and uses BMP instead :P

I mentioned that in exactly the line you didn't quote, and in fact gave a program suggestion (for a free program) to open it with :dry:

• 1 month later...
On 19.03.2017 at 8:55 PM, YuriTD88 said:

I have the exact same issue on Windows 10.

This is a working solution:

https://forums.cncnet.org/index.php?topic=7332.msg52173#msg52173

Alternative is SHIFT+S, which is the ingame screenshot key and makes PCX files in the game folder (can be viewed with a free Image viewer like Irfanview)

link not work, i have same problems, some tips?

@Winston: Ah, the links have died after the migration to the new forums :)

Basically I use the screenshot function in Steam. You can turn this on and configure the hotkey for it in the Steam settings.

Then, you have to add the CnCNet shortcut "as a game" in your Steam library. Now, when you start CnCNet through Steam and start a game (try Skirmish), you can use the defined hotkey to make screenshots. The Steam overlay somehow does a good job of capturing the ingame.

Also, you can choose where to save an uncompressed copy of your file. Whether you turn this option on or off, Steam will always make an uncompressed copy of the screenshot in one of its own directories. Though, since I want it saved in an "easy location like My Pictures", I decided to turn the other option on. This does mean you get unneeded copies in the Steam directories and I regularly "clean that up".

SHIFT+S was never a problem for me on , the files got saved in the RA2 dir as PCX files. They can be viewed with Irfanview.

@Langford: I have not tried this

I use the TS-DDRAW renderer, which you can choose in the CnCNet client options. There was only one other (I think DxWnd) which worked almost as good, but slowed down whenever I moved units and the screen. I think using these renderers somehow is causing the screenshot programs not to catch what's happening ingame. But there seems to be no other choice if you actually want to play the game ;)

• Upvote 1