Nod build orders

AchromicWhite

I've just picked up on playing more Nod lately.

I enjoy opening 3 ref before strip in all MUs. But I find myself with piles of cash...

Now I could just make apaches, but honestly, I feel like I'm cheating, and they don't make for interesting games. So let's pretend they don't exist for now.

I usually spend my excess $$$ by producing multiple barracks, when I play as GDI. But mass troops as Nod is just not so viable. I need to make more airstrips, faster.

Beyond the opening, what sort of build order should I look at?

Let's assume that my opponent attacks me early, because I play greedy (common).

PP, Hand, Ref, Ref, Ref, Strip, PP, Turret (to hold rush)

Now, from here am I ready for a strip, do to waiting for the turret to complete, or should I go for the 4th Ref before my second strip.

After that, I get pretty confused. If I make anther 2 refs, my $$$ are just over flowing. IDK how to spend this stuff!

Given that I can usually hold rushes, and enjoy econ games, I think I'll stick with 3 ref openings (as a standard play). Or is that actually just stupid, because Nod works off of using less production structures, and I pretty much get no advantage from it?

Thoughts?

3 Ref Nod can be super expansive, and just because you don't spam as many infantry as a GDI player doesn't mean it devalues from the build.

Besides building a few Rocket Soldiers here and there doesn't hurt.

Well, it puts you behind on initial unit count. And if you can seamlessly transition into 2 strip at the same time (not stopping structure production) off of 2 ref opening, is it worth it?

I'd like to play this greedy, but don't understand how to pump out enough stuff to spend that $$$

I've already lost games while banking 8000, lol. And am like "hm... if that was units".

Vs. Nod you definately want more strips. Vs. GDI you can pretty safely tech to flame/stealth tanks and SSMs. Maybe even pull a flame tank rush or something if the map is not too big, just pop a few out, while he's preparing for bikes and buggies, and torch him.

Vs. Nod you definately want more strips. Vs. GDI you can pretty safely tech to flame/stealth tanks and SSMs. Maybe even pull a flame tank rush or something if the map is not too big, just pop a few out, while he's preparing for bikes and buggies, and torch him.

Interesting. So you think more econ in Nov v Nod and more tech in Nod v GDI?

Would that mean a greedier opening vs Nod and less vs GDI.

Like 3 ref strip in Nod vs Nod, into 4th ref and then 2nd strip.

And then in Nod v GDI; 2 ref strip 3rd ref, comm, 4-5th ref and then 2nd strip?

Interesting. So you think more econ in Nov v Nod and more tech in Nod v GDI?

Would that mean a greedier opening vs Nod and less vs GDI.

Like 3 ref strip in Nod vs Nod, into 4th ref and then 2nd strip.

And then in Nod v GDI; 2 ref strip 3rd ref, comm, 4-5th ref and then 2nd strip?

You'd always want more econ than your enemy, so that's beside the point. I'm saying that, for Nod vs. Nod, if both players are at the same level and are doing a standard bike & buggy opening, they'll stay in the same basic meta for a long time, probably until the end (kinda like ZvZ in BW). It's gonna be a long and micro-intensive bike & buggy fight and it makes sense to go for more econ and a 2nd strip, rather than risk the enemy swamping you. A 3rd ref before the strip might be effective with lots of tib, but I'm not convinced it's really better. I haven't really done the math, but by the time you've built the strip, you've spent basically all initial cash and only gotten a few harvloads back. If the other guy pulls a 1ref stip to your 3ref, it's gonna be a tough run. So yeah, depending on what you get, it's either a rrrsrs, or rrsrrs, or something...

Vs. GDI, it's a bit easier to keep them in check in the early game so that gives you more options for later on. The thing is, if you don't finish it with B&B you have to be quick to switch or you risk mediums, AGTs and barracks wrecking you.

I've actually been trying 3 ref into 2 strips. It's kinda interesting... You run a bit out of cash, but not before bolstering your forces.

You use that moment to get the 4th ref down and continue to spike. Still, maybe 2 refs is better in NodvNod. You're right about holding against 1 ref. The rush hits hard and fast; and they can outright win by targeting your army, if you're not careful with your units.

You have to kinda poke around and gather time to get at least a turret down to push them off of you.