C&C95 v1.06b r2 locks up

MrFlibble

Question

A friend of mine has the following problem: his C&C95 v1.06b r2 (he downloaded it from this site) tends to lock up after ~30 minutes of play. There are no error messages, the game just freezes and has to be terminated via the task manager. If the PC is not rebooted, the game keeps freezing after reduced intervals of time (i.e. every time he starts the game again the interval between the start and the lock up is shorter). After reboot, the game will again freeze after approximately half an hour. He's got Windows XP SP 3 and DirectX 9.0c.

My guess is that some application is conflicting with the game, but I'm not sure.

[Edit] He says that after installing the latest version of the patch which he got directly from Nyerguds' patch page (as I suggested him to do), the problem seems to have gone (meaning that something might be wrong with the version hosted here). Unfortunately, I don't know if the version on Cnc-Comm is the same or different that the latest release of Nyer's patch.

More info on the problem: it seems to have a certain connection to Internet access, as lock-ups were observed to be more likely when connection to the Internet had been established. Also, accessing the load/save menu seems to have caused lock-ups in at least some of the cases.

3 answers to this question