Do you agree with this map list ?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with this map list ?

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • I dont know
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

in light of the recent topics about game balance, competitiveness, and the rather fantastic new QM function, i will list what i see as the most " pro " maps available atm. Discuss and enjoy.

Staple Pro maps  The best of the best  (this is for 1v1) 

1. Pirate Bay -- if anything stands out to me, its PB. 

2. Heck Freezes Over and its variants (1-4). The mother of splits. 

3. Tour Of Egypt  (random spawns). The country swing-style but better, a classic

in no particular order

4. Divide and Conquer  (random spawns)

5. Jungle of Vietnam (random spawns)

6. Coldest Peak

7. Lakeside

8. Golden state Valley 

9. Thin Ice

10. Depth Charge  

Other totally acceptable pro maps in no particular order

11. Caverns of Siberia

12. Bull run (random spawns)

13. Reconcille

14. South Pacific (TL vs BR)

15. Snow Valley (TL vs BR)

16. No Whimps

17. Heartland (BL vs TR)

18. Lost lake

19. Loaded Barrel 

20. Alamo

21. Deadman's Ridge

Note: this list does not have Yuri in mind

• Like 2

Some notes:

1) As of now, CNCNet QM can not properly have random spots. We have to choose 2 spots for each map otherwise we get situations of players right next to each other.
2) What makes you like Pirate Bay so much more then the rest? I like Pirate Bay, too, but why #1? 

3) Alamo? Is Alamo fair for allies vs sovs? I know in Ra2 it was one of the easiest soviet maps to take on allies (allies almost had no chance there). I guess on YR it's a bit easier to be allied there.

Other than those small notes -- it's a great list. There's just so many good maps to be played! 

16 minutes ago, XXxPrePxX said:

Some notes:

1) As of now, CNCNet QM can not properly have random spots. We have to choose 2 spots for each map otherwise we get situations of players right next to each other.
2) What makes you like Pirate Bay so much more then the rest? I like Pirate Bay, too, but why #1? 

3) Alamo? Is Alamo fair for allies vs sovs? I know in Ra2 it was one of the easiest soviet maps to take on allies (allies almost had no chance there). I guess on YR it's a bit easier to be allied there.

Other than those small notes -- it's a great list. There's just so many good maps to be played! 

1. I expected this response. My question is does it have to be all maps random spawns or no maps random spawns or... whats the deal ? Indeed, many maps would be messed up, but on  the maps i specified, like jungle of vietnam for example, TvT, RvR, BvB, LvL, and full cross-spawns are all very nice in their own unique way. Having  1-spawn-only limits the greatness that is the map. 

2. Pirate bay because it has everything.  You have many options as how to approach it from the start. Do you fight for the middle right away or get ur eco going and go for a coutner attack in the middle later on? Or do you neglect both and go fast tech ? The options only increase as the game goes on. Its one of the best AvA maps because its very dynamic --you can hit and run everywhere. Its one of the best SvS maps because splits, desos, and teching are all good options.  Its also one of, if not thee, best allied vs soviet map because the early game has many options as said, which is good for sov, but the middle game options for allies are very numerous and can favor them if the sov over-commit to an attack. Navy is a factor, but not central, the chronosphere is very nice on this map in relation to the iron curtain -- the goldilocks map. 

3. Alamo is a SvS map primarily, i agree with you. I wouldnt put it in the AvS category, but its a fantastic small little asymmetrical map for SvS that i thought was worth mentioning. Also i put some allied maps in there. Didnt even mention all the good ones, ur right there are too many ! The key point is to avoid BAD maps like dune patrol, montana dmz,  and country swing, while giving the maps like pirate bay and golden state valley the spotlight they deserve 

• Like 1

Cool, I like your reasoning on 2 and 3, I'd put Pirate Bay up there with Reconcile for my best map awards. 

As far as random spots, we can select which spots for each particular map in the ladder. I believe if we leave the spot empty it selects the spots on it's own. I'm not sure if that means the spots are random per se, or if they just default to a certain 2 spots (thus, not really random, just generating the 2 spots on it's own). I agree that it's better when there are more than 1 spawns, hopefully it will be a function that can be worked on in the future. 

4 minutes ago, XXxPrePxX said:

Cool, I like your reasoning on 2 and 3, I'd put Pirate Bay up there with Reconcile for my best map awards. 

As far as random spots, we can select which spots for each particular map in the ladder. I believe if we leave the spot empty it selects the spots on it's own. I'm not sure if that means the spots are random per se, or if they just default to a certain 2 spots (thus, not really random, just generating the 2 spots on it's own). I agree that it's better when there are more than 1 spawns, hopefully it will be a function that can be worked on in the future. 

if its a small list  u are wishing  for then only look at the top 10. I fear that reconcile might be a super allied map once mastered though, im not sure ^^ at all. Only reason it wasnt top 10 

As a Soviet, I'm almost never worried about allied maps. Do you have a list of 5 pure allied maps that are somewhat used competitively (i.e. not like No Rest For the Wicked or some obscure map).  Just curious on what you/community thinks are really hard maps for a soviet to play against an allied on -- to the point where the maps shouldn't be considered for competitive 1on1 games. 

A map that comes to my mind is Isle of War, but even this I've had a lot of success on against allieds either due to rushes or just mid game kirovs/v3s/boris/tanks/dreds/siege chops / base walk / desos. 

1 hour ago, XXxPrePxX said:

As a Soviet, I'm almost never worried about allied maps. Do you have a list of 5 pure allied maps that are somewhat used competitively (i.e. not like No Rest For the Wicked or some obscure map).  Just curious on what you/community thinks are really hard maps for a soviet to play against an allied on -- to the point where the maps shouldn't be considered for competitive 1on1 games. 

A map that comes to my mind is Isle of War, but even this I've had a lot of success on against allieds either due to rushes or just mid game kirovs/v3s/boris/tanks/dreds/siege chops / base walk / desos. 

not to the point where they shoulndt be considered a competitive 1v1 map. Reconcile still made top 13 afterall.  

Maps that fit the goldilocks zone for AvS:

pirate bay

lakeside

south pacific 

snow valley 

bull run

heck rvr 

full heck 

Note that heck rvr and full heck are considered different maps. Heck TvT = total sov map for the sake of comparison. Again, my point about random spawns i think is worth considering on some maps for this reason 

Not a bad list but your missing a fair few classics that are better than some of your choices.

No Cs, Offense Defense, Dry heat, face down etc. Overall your list looks heavily based on newer ra2 maps. Infact it only has 5 YR maps in it.

Also tour of egypt random spawns? should at least be lvr...

On 26/10/2017 at 10:24 PM, Lucifer said:

3. Alamo is a SvS map primarily, i agree with you. I wouldnt put it in the AvS category, but its a fantastic small little asymmetrical map for SvS that i thought was worth mentioning. Also i put some allied maps in there. Didnt even mention all the good ones, ur right there are too many ! The key point is to avoid BAD maps like dune patrol, montana dmz,  and country swing, while giving the maps like pirate bay and golden state valley the spotlight they deserve 

The alamo is possibly one of the most imbalanced maps in the game. Whoever gets the bottom right oil should win as it produces cash faster than a normal oil.  How you can claim maps like CS, DMZ and Dune are bad maps im not sure. Im guessing your an ra2 player?

On 10/28/2017 at 11:27 AM, ZiGZaG said:

No Cs, Offense Defense, Dry heat, face down etc.

Also tour of egypt random spawns? should at least be lvr...

facedown -- Battle with the bases in 2 mins for center and the game ends in a very boring, non-pro way.

cs favors bottom -- not fair

Dry heat-- forgot it , quite a decent map indeed.  

dmz favors right side-- not fair

dune patrol...is too noob l0l

offense defense is the exact map i would pick if i was just starting the game and didnt want to have to move my units around what   -   so   -  ever 

On 10/28/2017 at 12:03 PM, ZiGZaG said:

The alamo is possibly one of the most imbalanced maps in the game. Whoever gets the bottom right oil should win as it produces cash faster than a normal oil. 

top gets 2 ore patches + 1 oil + 1 big oil

bottom gets 2 ore patches + 1 oil + 1 airport + gems + central position 

On 10/28/2017 at 12:03 PM, ZiGZaG said:

Im guessing your an ra2 player?  Overall your list looks heavily based on newer ra2 maps. Infact it only has 5 YR maps in it.

I dont see them as YR maps or Ra2 maps -- just good maps and bad maps. i like both games, but ra2 just so happens to have a much, much, much much much much better map list for competitive games and almost none of them are original maps.  They were made by veteran players from the community, not the 1999 game creators, and should be used in yr and ra2 alike because they are better maps.