C&C 1.06: The MCV never comes...

gerwin

Firts post here :)

Yesterday I ditched my older C&C 95 install and replaced it with Nyerguds's 1.06 package and  patched it up. Then I removed some mix files I will never use.

It works really well, even on my eee PC at 1024x600. I had to use w98 compatibility mode in XP SP3, otherwise the game would hang after a minute or so.

But to the point: I noticed it contains some new missions tagged N64 and PSX. They typically give you a commando to clear a beachhead, after which an MCV is to be send in.

I tried two of these missions, and in both of them the MCV never shows up, eventhough I did all the preperation work. One mission I retried from the start (where I had to airstrike an obelisk), I did things exactly the same as before and then the MCV showed. Now the second mission is about destroying four gun turrets, destroyed three with the commando, fourth turret was destroyed by missiles from the ship: still no MCV...

...  Now the second mission is about destroying four gun turrets, destroyed three with the commando, fourth turret was destroyed by missiles from the ship: still no MCV...

Welcome gerwin!

You're probably talking about PSX Special Ops I - GDI

BRIEFING: Use the commando to take out the Nod turrets on the beach to the west.

This will allow GDI troops to land there. Use these reinforcements to destroy the northern Nod base.

This mission has no MCV. You receive a tactical force and that's it.

Not all missions will have Tiberium economics, they will be just militar goals.

You just have to make sure to destroy enough of the turrets I think. In fact, it might even be celltrigger-based, meaning you have to get the commando close enough to the landing point itself before they arrive.

Then I removed some mix files I will never use.

Huh? The patch should clean up everything itself... exactly which mixfiles are you referring to?

Of course it would be more desirable if the mission scripting kept strictly to the briefed objectives.

About the mix files, since you asked:

I removed the beta sounds, the jap/fre/ger language related files.

And I replaced the scores.mix (and update02.mix) with the plain dos scores.mix, as for me that one contains plenty music tracks already, and exactly the way I remember it from, what was it, 1995? :)

Then I added a custom movies.mix which contains just logo.vqa (with the westwood logo and menu backdrop animation)

Besides some remixes I got off Frank Klepacki's website, the DOS scores.mix (the Covert Ops version, anyway. I DO hope you're referring to that one) contains exactly what I added to the patch. So I doubt that'll have made much difference.

Why exactly did you do the movies.mix thing, though? Movies.mix isn't needed by the game, and videos don't even need to be in a mixfile to work.

I currently use the plain scores.mix without the covert operations tracks.

That movies.mix was part off my old C&C 95 portable setup. Some years ago I used XCC mixer to make a portable setup for my own use. I put it in a mix file then because it seemed to me C&C just reads mix files. Did not know any better.

Heh, yeah. Missions, music and videos don't need mix files.

It's quite chaotic which files need or don't need a mixfile though, since it just depends on whether they chose to use the general "file" class, which checks both the game folder, CD root and mixfiles, or the specific "c&c file" class, which only reads from a mixfile.

How different are the two classes? I'm assuming different enough to where you couldn't "easily" convert all "c&c files" to "files" (or the "check everywhere" routine over the "check mixfiles" routine), but I suck at ASM, so I can't even wrap my brain around how classes work in ASM.

I never really compared them... could be possible, but I got no intention of digging into that stuff to change it. There's enough weird crap in there to stay the hell away from it.

For example, it uses the function that looks inside mix files to open the high scores file (hallfame.dat) O_o