Tiberian Sun, Windows 8

Dan9550

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It works!  I had previously replied asking for more details, this is the edited version.  I had selected that same 16-bit option, along with Run as Admin, and WinXP SP2 compatibility mode, but had not run it in Windowed mode (or to be more precise, I did try Windowed mode, but not with all the other options at the same time).  The combo of all of these changes, and the wrapper DLL just dropped into the SUN folder with no other options, worked like a charm.  The game is perfectly playable, just like it was on Win7.

To summarize :

1). Create a shortcut to Game.exe

2). Right-click Properties - Compatibility - Compatibility Mode - Run this program in compatibility mode for Win XP Service Pack 2.

3). Same compatibility dialog box under Settings - Reduced Color Mode - 16-bit

4). Same compatibility dialog box under Privilege Level - Run as admin

5). Shortcut properties - add " -win" to the end of the Game.exe Target so that it reads: [whatever directory]\SUN\Game.exe" -win

6). Edit the SUN.INI file video section to put in whatever video size you like (for instance, 1280*1024)

7). Go to this site : http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html  Download the ZIP file, and unzip ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg files to the same directory where you found Game.exe

Done!  Works like a charm.  Thanks Turboman!

Thanks,

DD.

thanks for help but what about tiberian sun from origin?

tiberiun sun ignores the *-WIN* command, i think origin make problems with that

tiberian sun from origin client still dosent work (menu bug)

What do i do if the menus and all that work, but the gameplay is very choppy

It applies to the game.exe but not the game shortcut...  FML this sucks :( favorite game of all time.  I tried the graphics patcher and it didnt help, the gameplay is just fine AS LONG as i have no units selected and not moving the screen ha. I need to use the shortcut file in order to bypass the menu problems.

So any idea about bad framerates? When I tried Bibbers launchers on Win8 before he uploaded them I used that ddraw wrapper linked here, which worked flawlessly on RA2 where I get all the fps I want with just setting "ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1" while for TS it did nothing and the game is jumpy as hell (as in it runs a few sec, then slows down, catches up again, slows down, etc). That happens independently of the wrapper, though I didn't test the other options yet.

Arg, nevermind, setting "NoVideoMemory = 1" solves that issue.

Oh and if someone is wondering how to fix the 16 bit error for windowed stuff (as Win8 x64 doesn't have the option to set the desktop to 16 bit anymore): http://thundermods.net/intern/Lilith/sun.jpg

C&C games also have a "back buffer in video memory" option, so combining the tweaks of the game and wrapper may be useful.

Hyper said to me that that (is that correct?  O_o) the Tiberian Sun do have a BackBufferInVideoMemory line in sun.ini, but it is unused ingame :P

• 2 weeks later...

I had to register just for this thread :)

I recently purchased the Ultimate Collection via Origin and have already completed the C&C 95 and Red Alert 1.

Now it was time for Tiberian Sun. I had some minor stability issues with C&C 95 and Red Alert, but who would have guessed that Tiberian Sun would cause much more trouble than the older titles...

Initially i had the exact same problem than the original post stated and i was able to fix it with the tips given in this thread.

At that time the game was playable, menus worked etc. but it kept crashing about every 5 minutes. Nothing seemed to help.

Then i uninstalled the game and downloaded the game from this site, did all the fixes again and now i was able to play for about 30 minutes without a crash. Unfortunately i did not have time for longer session now, but this looks promising.

I will post update later, when i have more time to test it. Thanks for the help i already from the earlier tips!

I guess it is safe to say that the game works for me now :)

I have played 5 missions from the GDI campaign and i have had zero crashes during those (earlier had crashes every few minutes).

Small details about my system:

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4,5Ghz

GPU: 2xGTX 680 OC 4Gb SLI

RAM: 16Gb 1600mhz DDR3

HDD: 256gb SSD + 1000gb 7200rpm HDD.

So, i have a modern system, but still the game works after a few tweaks.

What i did?

1. Replaced Origin version with the version downloaded from this site (huge thanks for that one!).

2. Compatibility mode for both Game.exe and Sun.exe (Win XP SP2 + 16bit colours + run as admin)

3. Shortcut to Game.exe and added the -win for windowed mode.

3. Sun.ini resolution to 1280x720

4. Downloaded http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html and extracted to game directory.

So, most of the tips i got from earlier posts, only difference made was replacing the game version and putting compatibility to sun.exe also.

It is possible that some of the steps would not be needed, but with these i got the game run stable for several hours, so i am quite happy with it :) I was getting pretty desperate with the constant crashes :D

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed earlier in this thread, you made it possible for me to enjoy this old game. I have actually missed it years ago (i moved from RA1 to RA2 and somehow skipped this one).

Hey, comrades. Had the same problem as mentioned in the first post. Followed your instructions. Problem solved. Here's another one (see screenshot).

I have asus ux32vd. The screen resolution is 1920x1080. I have tried changing SUN.INI any possible way - I can only make the game window bigger, but the "gaming area" size in the center of the window always stays the same: very very small. Any suggestions how to make it bigger, mates?

Untitled.png.92dcd284be22e32a77e74626e9e9dad0.png