How do you get CnCNet to work with Red Alert 2?

xxxSnipe

Hiya,

So I downloaded a cracked .exe version of Red Alert 2 v.1001, no Yuri's expansion, however, I dont believe I can connect to CnCNet.

I placed CnCNet in the RA2 folder that I created when I unzipped the file, and opened CnCNet from within the Folder via the preset 9001 port, with no Command Line and to the RA2.exe shortcut in the menu-drop down and upon loading up, instead of taking me to the Network menu it guides me to the Main Menu, and when I click on 'Network' I cannot see any current games being played or any players even though the Website showed that there was 6 online at the time.

Any ideas? Would be much appreciated if anyone computer savvy could lend a hand.

Cheers

Dan

You are not taken directly to the network menu in normal RA2 or TS. You need to go to the network menu yourself. If  you can't see anyone in the network lobby then there are most likely no people there. CnCNet.org has stats to see if people really are in the lobby you are looking at.

Edit: cleared up broken English.

Followed your link and looked at the current stats in the top right of the screen and it said 5 players were online, and when I loaded up the RA2 client via CnCNet within the RA2 folder there was nobody online and just me in the Network Lobby. Any more suggestions? Much appreciated.

Dan

*Furthermore, I kept the client open with me supposedly online, and refreshed the Page you linked me and didnt see the Online numbers change for RA2 but did see them change for RA1, therefore, shouldnt I be able to at least see the other Games in the lobby, even if they are full, just like you can with RA1.

Is there a specific place that I need to be placing CnCNet within the RA2 folder?

When CnCNet first initiates should the data read -server.cncnet.org- / -9001- / -ra2.exe- / -LAN- / in the 4 boxes provided?

Please help me with this issue, Im not great when it comes to computing, only know the basics.

"-LAN" is the command line parameter hacked into C&C95 (and I think RA95 and TS as well) to make the game launch straight to the network lobby, so it isn't strictly necessary for RA2 since it won't have any effect there. But leaving it there won't cause any problems, either. The other settings seem to be as they should be, yes.

cncnet.exe should be placed in your actual game folder, where ra2.exe and game.exe are located.

If the RA2 player count reads 5 and you can't see plsyers then you either have port issues or the other players are playing Yuri's Revenge.

If you have port issues try to use this tool to open the port: http://cncnet.org/files/cncnet-upnptool.zip

To use the tool click on "Get all port mappings" then it should say "Starting UPNP Device Search..." if it gets stuck there the tool wont work for you. otherwise click on "Map My Port".

If the UPNP tool doesn't work you'll need to either manually forward port 8054 protocol UDP to your computer from your router interface or if you can't access your router go to the CnCNet settings and disable peer to peer mode. Disabling peer to peer mode puts you in tunneled mode which is slower but should work most of the time.