CnCNet 5 progress update

hifi

Hello Commanders,

It has been a long time since the last news post. I felt it was time to post some progress updates even though they are not *mine* exactly.

The next version of CnCNet as has been stated before requires modified game binaries. These binaries for TD and RA are on the way. The RA version is getting along nicely with Iran fixing some remaining issues and adding new interesting features. The TD version still has too many issues to be usable. TS version is not yet started and will probably not be until CnCNet 5 is released with full RA support the very least and solely depends on the motivation of CCHyper. RA2 will most probably not be supported at all, sorry.

Some of the design ideas that were in the old thread have been revisited and it seems CnCNet 5 is going towards being fully IRC compatible and uses Westwood Chat like client program to operate.

FunkyFr3sh from the Red Alert community has worked hard on his (testing) CnCNet 5 client for RA. It is free to download right now and will provide valuable feedback about the modified RA binary so please play some games with it when you have the time. It provides some features the LAN lobby doesn't like selectable spawn points, predetermined teams, private rooms and much more.

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2242.0

There is no release date for CnCNet 5 and the work continues on its own pace whenever everyone participating has the time and interest.

What about RA2 mods like MO3 and C&C:R that are currently supported?

What Iran said, and if someone steps up to write the client modifications (with Ares, for example) they will most probably get supported. Though, as RA2 is still sold by EA and XWIS and has a working cd-key system I'm a bit reluctant to keep RA2 support in.

I'm working on the TD part now that Iran sort of took the RA one under his wing (ok, I forced him ;), trying to find a way to have stable games with the new system. Everything is so hit-and-miss with hacking it always requires some sort of miracle to get something running properly. RA seems to work now thanks to Iran's fixes so we at least have something to go forward with. FunkyFr3sh's client plays an important part in testing and it only supports RA.

So, currently limited resources and interest are the biggest issues. TS support relies on CCHyper or someone outside the main CnCNet "hacking group" (hello Iran and Nyer) needs to take initiative to get it supported.

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of knowledge: by "Binaries", are you including MAPS?

Binaries mean the game executables, C&C95.exe and RA95.exe. They need major modifications to support CnCNet 5 launching. For the player, CnCNet 5 works much like the original Westwood Chat, only with more options and better networking (tunneling possibility). We will have an extensive map library available by default for each supported game.

OK, hifi...

Can you email details regarding this? I am gearing up for a release soon (left one of the testers with the latest build of HP so we can iron out bugs).

If someone else reads this before, can you notify hifi via IRC please?

Peace out!

-CCHyper