CnCNet5 and ARDA

AchromicWhite

I know you guys have a lot on your plate, but adding support for ARDA would be great. Might be easier to do if you DON'T add it as part of RA, but instead have it as a different selection when you create a game, and then have a list appear off different directories for mods. So like, 10 or so slots where ARDA mods can be added.

So when selecting to play a mod that uses ARDA, you'd click on create game, select ARDA as the game platform and then click on a directory path from a list of pre selected (by the user) directory paths.

Doing this would allow way more mods to be used by cncnet, opening up huge opportunities for people that very seriously mod the most popular game on cncnet5

I'm also aware that some support for ARDA like changes have already been implemented into RA, but without full support for ARDA, any mods using it are hung out to dry. This is not just a slap in the face to modders, but also to AlexB who put a whole load of fantastic effort into his program. Seems a shame to shut him out.

-Liam

I'm not sure if that's possible - at least not easy. CnCNet 5 support requires extensive game modifications and they are deeply integrated with ra303p. To get ARDA support, someone would need to strip off all ra303p features except the spawner code as we call it for CnCNet 5 and then try to retrofit that to work with ARDA.

However, with YR we hope to get Ares support by not touching too much stuff that would make the game executable incompatible with it. Best case the Ares project will pick up the required changes and integrate them with Ares so we don't need to maintain our version of it. The same thing could be done with ARDA but I'm not sure if AlexB continues to support it as it hasn't been updated for over a year.

The last I'd heard, he was less and less bothered because the EXE kept being hacked, making ARDA incompatible with the most common version of RA. Which, is kinda understandable. Maybe if you talk with him, you might be able to work together and get it implemented.

OK, let's be honest, I want this so that I can put my mod, which took at least three years to make, onto CnCNet5, but ARDA IS a great tool, and I would be sad if everyone using it, or planning to ever use it, are shut out of the CnCNet5 project.

-Liam

White you may have invested your money on the wrong horse. A lot of us at cncnet considered ARDA substantially when it came out, but decided to go with an in-house solution instead.

You might have to convert your Mod to RA, cncnet, standards.

Yes, indeed. I'm well aware that when ARDA was released, or, at least, when I discovered it, I jumped up and down with excitement, but CnCNet, at the time, was compatible with it. Seemed good to invest in.

Unless Iran does some serious hacking and makes loads of new features available. Mainly, allowing turrets on/off for all vehicles; turret positioning, both offset for cases like the ranger and then turret on the rare of the vehicle like in the case of mobile gap; more slots or unlimited weapons, warheads etc. Well, that'd be a nice start, then I could consider swapping my mod over. But in the meantime, I'm stuck with CnCNet4, which, for a mod that's built for online play (no missions and an AI that doesn't understand the new resources) means it's not extremely hard to advertise to get people to play.

I'd ay that I'm probably not the only one in this position, but I suspect I am, haha. But as I said before, ARDA IS a great tool for modding RA (which IS by FAR the most popular game on CnCNet5) and it's be a shame to put it down simply because people don't want to talk and work out a way to implement it.

To the future of modding RA! :D

-Liam

Iran has test .exe that will let you add new units and buildings. Vehicle use the same frame logic as 1TNK. infantry uses frame E1 logic. Ships aren't working right since the turret logic needs work. Buildings are stuck at 2x3. You can add a unlimited number of weapons and warheads. You can also add new sounds for your weapons to make when firing.

You can see the thread about it here http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2603.0 but the links are no good any more so go to this thread http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2606.15 and download the NewType RA95.zip I attached.

Well, it sounds like it's getting there, but yeah, foundations on buildings and having full reign over turret logic is quite important atm...

New units would be great though, almost endless possibilities there. Although, I'm mostly hoping for new aircraft, both copters and planes. Being able to charge up weapons to teams and buildings would be great also, but heck, now I'm just starting a wish list.

Thanks for the heads up though, I didn't know Iran was so far along with his hacking. Nice work Iran :)

-Liam

White:

I asked Iran about just about every key you could think of. foundations, turrets APC logic, hover logic and more. If you look in the pages of both of the links I posted you can find my wish list. Yes new helicopters can be added in the test .exe but not planes.

Iran:

I know your doing Tib Sun work. I wanted White to know what you had done since he hadn't see it.