TS/Firestorm - Mouse blinks on move slows game

avantgreen

Hey guys, nice community you got here. I just got a 4K UHDTV and been trying to setup TS to work properly at 1920x1080. I've read a ton online and got it all setup well except

1 huge problem:

On gameplay, when I move the mouse, the mouse blinks/flickers and the game runs slow, (the faster I move the mouse the more paused-slow it gets). When I stop moving the mouse, the game operates perfectly! Clicks also work just fine. But it's impossible to play like this. lol

Windowed or not, different resolution, tried that all. I have the Win8 fix copied. What could this be? Anyone run into this problem before?

My windows is at 3840x2160, but I don't think this is the problem especially when I'm trying to play it fullscreen at a much lower resolution. (btw, game crashes with internal error if I try to run it at res 3840x2160 lol Also tried the res down, same error at 2560x1440)

It's an issue with Windows 8. One of the CnCnet developers is working on a fix for it but it's under heavy development so I'm not sure if he's okay with me linking his fix for it yet. I'm also using Windows 8 and his fix works, but it's still missing features and has a few minor graphical issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm checking back in the "Newer C&C games" board every day in case it's out lol Would it be posted there when it's out?

Hey, check out this solution, it worked for me with fixing the lag problem. It isn't perfect as there is some flickering between the game and the desktop, but the frame rate should be completely fixed.

How to get Tiberian Sun working on Windows 8/8.1 (at least for me)

Go to http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html and download DDwrapper, extract into the TS directory with Game.exe in it. Open aqrit.cfg in wordpad, set NoVideoMemory = 1. Then create a shortcut to game.exe and set launch options to "game.exe -ui". Next go to the compatibility tab and select reduce color mode 16-bit and "Disable high dpi".

Next go to sun.ini and change ScreenHeight to be 80 pixels less than your screen height. For example, I have a 1080px high screen so I set ScreenHeight=1000. Now run the game. It should be in pseudo fullscreen, you should see the menus and there shouldn't be any lag in game. There will be some small artifacts when you scroll around, but nothing major. Also the taskbar flashes when you scroll down, but again I can live with that.

Twisted Insurrection: The launcher doesn't like ddraw.dll so just rename Game.dat to game.exe and follow the above instruction.

Hope this works,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...