Any efforts at a faithful CnC engine recreation?

Blade

I'm sure this gets asked periodically, but with all the reverse engineering going on I thought I'd likely get an answer here. Are there any projects trying to accomplish something similar to what OpenDune has for Dune 2 which is a faithful open source recreation of the CnC (and or RA) game engine? I can find various derivitives of FreeCnC such as OpenRedAlert but I couldn't say how close what is implemented there is to the original. All these hacks to keep it going and fix the odd bug are great, but it isn't very portable even with Wine and such.

There are no such projects I'm aware of. OpenRA is the closest one gets. Though FreeRA was pretty interesting, but it was abandoned a long time ago.

OpenRA is extremely good. They're even making a separate mod called "Classic CNC" or something like that, where they keep the original balance and all that stuff.

It's basically a perfect recreation but updated with hugely improved mechanics such as each individual building training/building it's own unit...Separate building queues for air units, naval units, vehicles...Etc. xD

Yeah, it's not a perfect 100% remake of C&C:TD but maybe the classic C&C will.

I don't think separate buildings training their own separate units is a "hugely improved mechanic" I think it only complicates things especially when you have multiple factories at least with the C&C3 style sidebar they use. Building queues is something I'm split on, one part of me says it facilitates more spam of a single unit while the other says it makes building units easier. Right now OpenRA is a very different game, it may have the graphics of the old C&C games, but the gameplay is not there. I feel like the C&C1 mod plays more like C&C3 than it does C&C1, you can also throw some Generals in there due to the helicopters with inair regenerating ammo and how the role of the airstrike was changed.

OpenRA is not a perfect recreation and was never meant to be one in the first place, on the other hand it seems to be mod friendly so I look forward to other projects using it.

I don't think separate buildings training their own separate units is a "hugely improved mechanic" I think it only complicates things especially when you have multiple factories at least with the C&C3 style sidebar they use. Building queues is something I'm split on, one part of me says it facilitates more spam of a single unit while the other says it makes building units easier. Right now OpenRA is a very different game, it may have the graphics of the old C&C games, but the gameplay is not there. I feel like the C&C1 mod plays more like C&C3 than it does C&C1, you can also throw some Generals in there due to the helicopters with inair regenerating ammo and how the role of the airstrike was changed.

OpenRA is not a perfect recreation and was never meant to be one in the first place, on the other hand it seems to be mod friendly so I look forward to other projects using it.

Well like I said, if I remember correctly they're making a C&C "Classic" mod...So I assume that's meant to truly recreate C&C1. Whereas the original mod is meant to improve the game and balance it.