New Here - What's CnCNet?

VamPyroX

I came across this website through Facebook.

From what I see, it looks like the downloads are only so that I can play my games online via CnCNet.

However, I do have some games that cannot be installed... such as Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn.

According to sources, it's because I'm using a 64-bit version of Windows 7 instead of 32-bit.

Is it true... the downloads are only for enabling online play or do the downloads do more?

CnCNet is a service that enables online play and we provide ready to play downloads of the freeware C&C games such as C&C (Tiberian Dawn), Red Alert and Tiberian Sun.

The ready to play game downloads are found here: http://cncnet.org/download No CD's needed.

As for other info:

The original CD's of C&C1 and RA contain 16-bit installers those will not run on a 64-bit system, but the games themselves are 32-bit and will run on a 64-bit system.

Just to clarify again: You do not need to install C&C, RA or TS (or Dune 2k) before downloading them from CnCNet the downloads already include the games ready to play.

CnCNet is a service that enables online play and we provide ready to play downloads of the freeware C&C games such as C&C (Tiberian Dawn), Red Alert and Tiberian Sun.

The ready to play game downloads are found here: http://cncnet.org/download No CD's needed.

As for other info:

The original CD's of C&C1 and RA contain 16-bit installers those will not run on a 64-bit system, but the games themselves are 32-bit and will run on a 64-bit system.

Just to clarify again: You do not need to install C&C, RA or TS (or Dune 2k) before downloading them from CnCNet the downloads already include the games ready to play.

Okay. I did click on the online installer, but the file size was only 8 MB. I cancelled the download because I thought it was only the online play installer and not the entire game. I'm guessing the installer will install the whole game elsewhere?

No, this is the essential parts of the game needed for online play - stripped of music, videos and even singleplayer missions, I think (positive for C&C95). AFAIK, this is done to limit bandwidth as much as possible, as there are thousands of CnCNet downloads. Music can be downloaded separately through the client. If you want campaigns and videos, you'll have to download the entire game(s) from the respective sites that host them. TD, RA1 and TS are free and readily patched and available.

EDIT: also, the client downloads various other things than music through updates.

No, this is the essential parts of the game needed for online play - stripped of music, videos and even singleplayer missions, I think (positive for C&C95). AFAIK, this is done to limit bandwidth as much as possible, as there are thousands of CnCNet downloads. Music can be downloaded separately through the client. If you want campaigns and videos, you'll have to download the entire game(s) from the respective sites that host them. TD, RA1 and TS are free and readily patched and available.

EDIT: also, the client downloads various other things than music through updates.

Ah... basically a campaign-free version of the game. What about skirmish? Can I do skirmish games by myself without going online?

You can get Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (C&C95) here.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

Get the Complete No-CD game installation pack (v1.06c r3, no videos, all music included) (96.7 MB). For the videos you can get the English videos pack (479.4 MB) pack right below it. If you are looking for other languages there is a few in the Language add-ons and other languages videos are listed under the Video add-ons.

For Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1 (RA1) go to.

http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/# and click on the download box.

Get Download game installer from CnC-Comm (145 MB) and Download videos installer from CnC-Comm (580 MB, includes The lost files videos)

This should give you the full game for C&C95 and RA1 plus more.

Yes it looks a bit unreal when you see the size of the downloads ;)

The data on the cds looks roughly like this:

400mb Videos

70mb Music

25mb Core-Game (Unit graphics/sounds/binaries)

So we took away the music and the videos, compressed it with a good compression methog (lzma) and ended up with small downloads having a size of just around 10mb

All CnCNet downloads contain Online/LAN/Skirmish

Skirmish works offline too, but on the first start the client will downloads all the needed files (maps etc...), on the second start you can launch directly into the skirmish lobby without getting any updates via the skirmish button in the game laucnher you can find on your desktop