Low resource maps

X3M

How do people feel about low resource maps?

In general.

But of course for Dune2000 as well.

I have several reasons for playing low resource maps.

The most important ones are increasing micro and preventing those (for me) boring spam games.

It also could open some new strategies regarding resource managment.

Really, no one else? O well, then I simply talk to you. (At least you make sense)

It seems that people choose the game based on what they prefer. I see more people saying that they prefer TD over all the other games.

Any way, I need to set up a standard that players will understand, thus they build up instinct when they see a field;

1 spice field contains:

1 spice baloon in the centre

8 or 12 thick spice in the centre.

Then a layer of thin spice of 16 or 20 around the 8, and 24 or 32 around the 12.

Best is to start with 2 or 3 harvesters, eventually you can only station one when the field has been emptied.

But in that case, carryalls are a better option than base expansion.

Perhaps you can and want to answer these questions:

What do you think of the above?

Are there accurate numbers known on 1 square of spice or thick spice, their worth? Perhaps just like red alert, or should I experiment with this?

How to stimulate base expansion as a nesity for survival/resource managment instead of just an "notching better to do" kind of base expansion? Smaller space?

Oh, no, my reply was actually a rather snide comment on the fact that most people consider TD to be "low resource" in general because tiberium regrowth in C&C1 is so slow :P

Overall, I just don't think there's much of a community here in our D2k forums yet... I personally haven't played it in years, and have no idea of the average value of spice blooms or spice fields

Then I will EXPERIMENT!!!

O well, some one has to do it.

Thin spice is worth 200

Thick spice is worth 400

A spice baloon first shows thin spice

This is totally different from Red Alert!

With the suggested amount in the post before.

baloon+8thick+16 thin = 6600

baloon+8thick+20 thin = 7400

baloon+12thick+24 thin = 9800

baloon+12thick+32 thin = 11400

A valuable tactic would be harvesting the centre of your field. Thus activating the baloon right from the start. This will give a player that knows an advantage. I don't want that. I like to protect noobs from stuff like this.

Perhaps it is better to simply place baloons right from the start. No other spice. At your main base, 2 or 3. The first harvester activates them. After a while, you could be using 2 harvesters.

What you think?

Yeah, well, never had a manual with the word 'BLOOM'.

And it popped, and the EVA in Dune2 called is baloom/baloon.

We thought it was hard to hear because of the "crappy" sound card back then.

btt:

Any way, one more approach when creating these fields would be placing the 'BLOOM' in the first square that the harvester will harvest.

This way, you already have a field to harvest while the 'BLOOM' builds up its spice.

Oh, no, my reply was actually a rather snide comment on the fact that most people consider TD to be "low resource" in general because tiberium regrowth in C&C1 is so slow :P

Overall, I just don't think there's much of a community here in our D2k forums yet... I personally haven't played it in years, and have no idea of the average value of spice blooms or spice fields

I remember dealing with the slow growth back in those days.

I took advantage of the sandbag trick and would block my base off completely... as long as there was tiberium within my walls.

When I was ready, I would stop all harvesting and then switch the game to the highest speed setting.

I'd spend the next 15 minutes building walls around parts of the map blocking off other enemies (as they are not motionless thinking there's no way into my base).

By then, all land within my walls are loaded with tiberium. I'll start harvesting again. :)

Yeah, I know... this is a boring approach. I only did this after years of beating the game multiple times. I got bored and thought I'd play around with the glitches. :)

X3M: Technically, in the novels, they're called "pre-spice mounds". They're places where an underground build-up of pre-spice (excreted by the sandworms) ferments from the desert heat until it explodes and covers the surface, where it dries out and ripens further to actual final spice.

Many ppl play dune 2k on cncnet but they don't post here. Most are still making threads about online gameplay on FED2K which is pretty pointless :(

I dont know what to say about your idea x3m, you could make such a map and test it out online. You can't really rely on the results u get with the AI as they suck and play very differently from a human.