Questions on CnCNet

hxazgalor

UPDATE: Changed the subject and added some other questions :P

Hello all! Newbie here, nice to be in this awesome community XD

I have an issue here. For some reason when I try to connect to CnCNet via Twisted Insurrection's launcher, I keep getting a connection error, as you can see in the pic I've attached here. This problem occurs for both TI and YR.

I don't know if there's some firewall rule blocking cncnetclient.dat or if there may be some other problem that I'm not aware of. I'm also connected to the Internet, but I don't know what might be the problem with the connection. Can anyone advise?

Also, since we're on the subject of CnCNet, how do I play Yuri's Revenge through CnCNet (v5)? I have the retail version of the game installed on my PC and it can run MO awesomely (and MO can be played via CnCNet). How do I get CnCNet to work with my copy of YR? Many thanks :)

cncnet-error.jpg.7a6216f78f1132f4ab3de2a9e658d62d.jpg

Possibly destination port 6667 (IRC) is being blocked somewhere between you and the CnCNet IRC servers (see this post). Boot up a Linux live CD and run the command

traceroute -p 6667 irc.cncnet.org

to verify if that's the case (if from a certain port on you only see asterisks instead of replies, it's being blocked there).

Should it turn out it's being blocked indeed, you're unfortunately a bit out of luck for now (unless you have a way to connect that would let you avoid the block, such as VPN or proxy). Both TI and YR use Rampastring's client which (unlike FunkyFr3sh's client for TD/RA1/D2k/TS) currently doesn't allow to specify alternate destination ports. If it's your ISP who is blocking the port (one of the first few hops in the traceroute), you'd simply have to try connecting from a location served by another ISP who does not impose such a restriction.

Can you connect to the lobby in C&C1, RA1 or TS?

That's another good way to troubleshoot the issue - if he cannot connect to the default port with Funky's client either, but can connect fine to the alternate ones, that would be another indication of destination port 6667 being blocked on his route to the CnCNet IRC servers.

Possibly destination port 6667 (IRC) is being blocked somewhere between you and the CnCNet IRC servers (see this post). Boot up a Linux live CD and run the command

traceroute -p 6667 irc.cncnet.org

to verify if that's the case (if from a certain port on you only see asterisks instead of replies, it's being blocked there).

Should it turn out it's being blocked indeed, you're unfortunately a bit out of luck for now (unless you have a way to connect that would let you avoid the block, such as VPN or proxy). Both TI and YR use Rampastring's client which (unlike FunkyFr3sh's client for TD/RA1/D2k/TS) currently doesn't allow to specify alternate destination ports. If it's your ISP who is blocking the port (one of the first few hops in the traceroute), you'd simply have to try connecting from a location served by another ISP who does not impose such a restriction.

Can you connect to the lobby in C&C1, RA1 or TS?

That's another good way to troubleshoot the issue - if he cannot connect to the default port with Funky's client either, but can connect fine to the alternate ones, that would be another indication of destination port 6667 being blocked on his route to the CnCNet IRC servers.

I'm really sorry, but I'm kinda lost with the terms you used. I'm not running Linux, nor do I have a live CD, so I don't know if I can do that :(

How can I prevent the blocking of the port if I can't get the ISP to do so?

Also I don't have nor play the earlier games, just this one. I know I can download the older games since they are now freeware, but I don't have the bandwidth to actually do so :(

Many thanks anyway for your suggestions :)

The red alert 1 download is just 13mb, it would help to find out if that one works for you http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/RedAlert1_Online_Installer.exe

Thanks, but I do know the CnCNet installers are bandwidth friendly :) But I need the base game to play, right? That I don't have atm and am not actually planning to get for now :P I hope that's OK.

Or...when you say "red alert 1 download" do you mean the whole game minus the big A/V .mix files? Or am I misinterpreting here? :S

The installer i linked contains the full game, no music/videos and therefore just 13mb of size :)

It downloads updates on the first start with the size of around 10mb, so you end up with 23mb overall

OK, got it. :)

Looks like port 6667 may actually be blocked. I reached the lobby after updating RA, but initially there was no response from the server (us.irc.cncnet.org:6667). After a while I'm connected to CnCNet, though I think it's through an alternative port as you mentioned. I'm gonna fire up YR again and see if it works now, though I think I know the answer to that.

UPDATE: Yup, no change, as I expected. So I can't play YR on CnCNet then? :'(

Both TI and YR use Rampastring's client which (unlike FunkyFr3sh's client for TD/RA1/D2k/TS) currently doesn't allow to specify alternate destination ports.

Actually, the latest version of my client, used by The Dawn of the Tiberium Age, has allowed alternative destination ports for a while. TI is releasing an update soon that will add the possibility too, and YR will get the option once the CnCNet team members responsible for YR updates push my new client binaries to the players (why they haven't done that already, I don't know - it's been weeks since I added the option).

ports.png