Faster way to download Tib Sun?

KILL

I am trying to download Tib Sun right now but it's taking forever. 

I want the campaign + cinematics and all the extras.  I've had it going for 40 minutes now and it's at 0.16/1.09gb total.  I have a good connection and it says 4 hours remaining.  Download speed is 69KB/s...

Can I get it anywhere else or only the 'DOWNLOADS' page?

You can get the inferior official release by EA (ripped from The First Decade, requires installation exactly to C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and running tibsun_regadd.reg inside of it) from here: http://www.cncnz.com/features/freeware-classic-command-conquer-games/

So, if you want quality, keep downloading the CnC-Comm release :P

I most definitely want the cinematics.  ;)

I have my original disks for Tib Sun and Firestorm, but I assume those would have problems with Windows 7 64 bit?

The CnCnet release is probably better though, so I guess I'll be patient and let it continue.

Well it ended up finishing.  It only took 4.5 hours.  I still cannot play however. 

The game starts, I can hear the cinematic and get to the main menu, but the screen is black!

Any idea what is going on?  I am using Windows 7 64 bit with onboard HD4000 graphics.

I tried changing resolutions but that did nothing.

Try and set the renderer to default or TS-ddraw.

If the movies don't work for some reason download this: http://tore29.com/tsins/movies.exe , place it in the directory you installed TS and run it. (it extracts into the folder you run it, so don't run it from your browser)

Alternatively the full installer with everything in it and no extra downloading is this: http://tore29.com/tsins/TSinstaller3-beta10r4-full.exe

desktop pc running windows 7 is perfect setup for tibsun.

From my testing the ultimate PC for TS is an older PC with a GeForce 4.  :P

Can't the TS installer use the videos from the CDs somehow?

Yes, if you copy them off the CD's it will work, alternatively you can turn off the No CD function and use the CD's without copying anything over.

Try and set the renderer to default or TS-ddraw.

If the movies don't work for some reason download this: http://tore29.com/tsins/movies.exe , place it in the directory you installed TS and run it. (it extracts into the folder you run it, so don't run it from your browser)

Alternatively the full installer with everything in it and no extra downloading is this: http://tore29.com/tsins/TSinstaller3-beta10r4-full.exe

desktop pc running windows 7 is perfect setup for tibsun.

From my testing the ultimate PC for TS is an older PC with a GeForce 4.  :P

Can't the TS installer use the videos from the CDs somehow?

Yes, if you copy them off the CD's it will work, alternatively you can turn off the No CD function and use the CD's without copying anything over.

Thanks Tore.  Setting renderer to 'default' worked.

Before I saw your post I tried compatibility options 95/ME-Win XP SP3 but that made no difference.  Also running as admin made no difference.

Does changing the renderer affect the game in anyway?

I tested a Skirmish and the gameplay felt like it was on fast forward!  I set it to 'fast' and I think that is the normal speed.  Not positive though since I haven't played in years.

Yah, I go to download the movies from Tore's links posted in other threads (found 'em by googling) and they are ridiculously slow! I got the CommCenter version of TS, the one in your downloads section, then I applied the patch itself (which I guess was redundant, but I thought maybe it would have the videos). The description said it includes the movies, but I did not see any options for installing the movies. Everything works except the movies, :(

I'm downloading the movies.exe from Tores post in this thread right now, and its actually decent speed (only 10 minutes). Thanks Tore, I hope it works. Does it include Firestorm movies too?

BTW, installing a mod like, say, Tiberian Sun Retro, for the Comm Center TibSun version - thats doable, right? Simple file extraction?

To say it short: if the game lags or behaves strangely try another renderer.

They are just mixes of different fixes that will hopefully have the game run on different systems as smoothly as possible.

default - Game runs without any changes and communicates with the OS and GPU as it would have normally

TS-ddraw - a experimental replacement for Direct Draw created by hifi that makes the CPU do most of the rendering, can be very fast or slow and buggy depending on GPU.

IE-ddraw - a port of WineD3D to Windows that makes the game output in OpenGL. Usually very slow and buggy and only useful if default, TS-ddraw, ddwrapper doesn't work

ddwrapper - proxy DLL file that applies various compatibility fixes.

Yah, I go to download the movies from Tore's links posted in other threads (found 'em by googling) and they are ridiculously slow! I got the CommCenter version of TS, the one in your downloads section . The description said it includes the movies, but I did not see any options for installing the movies. EVerything works except the movies, :(

If I'm reading you right with "Comm Center version" you mean the "2010 X-mas release". It should download the movies there, but the guys hosting the movies: CnC World has had issues for ages, the newer version of the installer (the beta versions) has the movies hosted on PPM..which also occasionally has issues. Once I have all my exams done I will upload a new version which has different mirrors to download from.

I'm downloading the movies.exe from Tores post in this thread right now, and its actually decent speed (only 10 minutes). Thanks Tore, I hope it works.

If you use a non-beta version the movies.exe file might not work as well as it is meant for the CD version of TS which the betas are based on, the "X-mas release" is based on what EA released which is basically TFD which uses a different setup for the movies in the exe so it might not work there.

BTW, installing a mod like, say, Tiberian Sun Retro, for the Comm Center TibSun version - thats doable, right? Simple file extraction?

It is basically the TFD version so it should work

Yah your right, I just extracted the movies and they don't work. The download I mean is this one: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

I got the beta one mentioned in the first paragraph, and the installer didn't give me any option to include the movies.

I'll check PPM right now.

EDIT: The PPMsite movie file is the same, "movie.exe"

I'm using the IE draw option cause thats the one that works the best for my system. While using the TS draw, to open up the settings menu on the main menu of TS, it takes almost 10 seconds to open, plus you can't play the campaigns for some reason. I'm runnin on Win 7 as admin, but no compatibility. I'll try compatibility now, and keep testing.

I redownloaded it, and this time, yes, it does show me those options. TBH, I was fucken around when trying to find this TS full install. I must have been mistaken. Now its showing me the options. Thank you!

When I redownloaded it from the link I posted, this time, I let the installer install into the default path. And thats when the checklist that you pictured appeared. And unlike the author of this thread reported, my estimated download time for the movies is only 30 minutes.