[Offer]: Ladder Server for TS/RA2/YR

SiRaLeX

CnCNet is not based on WOL.

Now, now - that's iN-SaNe!

That's a sick demeanor. Why not based on WOL?!  :volkov:  What's the design choice, here?  :ranting:

How does in-game paging and all that jazz work? Well, at least you guys found a fancy way to spawn a game from a GUI - I'm sure the possibilities are endless but so are the obstacles.  :cnc:

CnCNet is not based on WOL.

Now, now - that's iN-SaNe!

That's a sick demeanor. Why not based on WOL?!  :volkov:  What's the design choice, here?  :ranting:

How does in-game paging and all that jazz work? Well, at least you guys found a fancy way to spawn a game from a GUI - I'm sure the possibilities are endless but so are the obstacles.  :cnc:

It's not based on WOL because it wasn't flexible. WOL was also not available as it was in the end for TD or RA (except buggy 3.03 lobby) so there was nothing to base it on. All obstacles have really been crossed already.

CnCNet 5 game spawning is 100% in-house developed x86 assembly and C with no external help from anyone or anything.

I used to know the basics of C and x86 assembly back in the mid-late 90's. I was able to make simple games with C (nothing special but I remember making a version of the classic Snake/Tron game with a boss battle at the end :D) and I could perform simple hacks (like give infinite lives to Commander Keen, or bypass registrations with simple security coding then patch it with a hex editor) using SoftICE. I even used debug.com to modify a couple of DOS games, which to me was an achievement because debug.com was sooo not user friendly.

I wish I hadn't discovered other 'fun' things in life that ended up being a total waste of time and just kept on experimenting with reverse-engineering (if I can even call it that, at such a basic level), because by now I could probably be at a level good enough to be able to help you guys out with reverse engineering these oldies. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, so what skills do you have?

For software development I can offer you (totally depending on the task on hand) my expertise in C, C#.NET, C++ and C++/CLI. I do additionally know JAVA and have done quite some work with WPF before, though I haven't touched WPF in almost 4 years now, sheesh! Yeah, I know x86 ASM too, but that's another story. I also have a very high level proficiency in the field of web development - I adore CSS3! Of course (X)HTML5, PHP5 are a must. I dislike pure JavaScript but I sure as hell love jQuery to bits. Let's see, there's some more things, I'm very familiar with the BSD socket APIs and the boost libraries. As for databases I absolutely love MySQL! No issues with MS-SQL, SQLite and even CouchDB either but when it comes to people storing fixed schema data in some NoSQL database instead of a relational one, I'd love slap them. There's many more things we can throw in the mix such as but not limited to LaTeX, AngularJS, RegEx, Git, SVN, SOAP, WinAPI XD, yes I've tried Node.JS before though honestly not deeming it particularly fit for anything other than perhaps a websockets server.

Yikes... do you need to know all of that^ to make a ladder server???

Of course not. You pick a language and stick to it. I know COBOL, but I won't be caught dead trying to actually make a program in that crap.

Well, it's helpful to have options. For the results server you will certainly need some programming language, I'd pick C++. To save the game results, SQL would be perfect. Then you need to display the results, PHP, HTML, CSS, JS would be in order.

I'm pretty positive the traffic lights system in your country is written in COBOL.

Of course not. You pick a language and stick to it. I know COBOL, but I won't be caught dead trying to actually make a program in that crap.

Oh ok. So... what would you need to know; tcp/ip? udp? both low AND high level language? I'm not planning on learning then making the ladder myself (I'd rather spend my free time playing, + it'll take me 100 years to learn), I just wanna have some idea about what goes on behind the scenes regarding such a project, and I also would like to have some understanding of what you guys talk about regarding these games in general.

Well, it's helpful to have options. For the results server you will certainly need some programming language, I'd pick C++...

Thanks but, that's like saying "To learn how to bunny-hop you'll need a push bike" :D. I mean, what specifically would you need to know to make the game output results to where you tell it to? Pretend you're trying to explain this to a high school student.

Well, UDP isn't of concern here, TCP however, certainly is.

Making the game send stats requires a fairly versatile language. There's more than one way to go about it but both would be fairly low-level. I'd say there's no need to use ASM as C would do either of both ways. I'd go with C++ as my favourite (my infamous hack was written in C++). It would surely require a disassembler/debugger like OllyDBG and someone that knows how to use it and just generally a sharp mind.

Fir3w0rx, I replied to you in the other topic.  :)

I'm pretty positive the traffic lights system in your country is written in COBOL.

From what I heard, the only ones still actively using it are big banks stuck with ancient systems, actually. Police and traffic modernized a lot.

Well, at least a lot of military equipment still does. But you're right with the finance domain.

There's no doubt that C is the better choice, overall.

0.jpg

When I find my code in tons of trouble, friends and colleagues come to me speaking words of wisdom "write in C".

As the deadline fast approaches and bugs all are I can see, somewhere someone whispers "write in C".

LISP is dead and buried. Write in C!

I used to write a lot of FORTRAN - for science it worked flawlessly but try using it for graphics! Write in C.

If you just spent nearly 30 hours debugging some assembly, soon you'll be glad to write in C!

Only wimps use BASIC. Write in C!

Pascal won't quite cut it. Write in C!

Don't even mention COBOL. Write in C!

And when the screen is fuzzy and the editor is bugging me. I'm sick of ones and zeros. Write in C!

A thousand people swear that TP7 is the one for me. I hate the word "procedure". Write in C!

PL1 is 80's. Write in C!

The government loves Ada, but write in C!

Well, UDP isn't of concern here, TCP however, certainly is.

Making the game send stats requires a fairly versatile language. There's more than one way to go about it but both would be fairly low-level. I'd say there's no need to use ASM as C would do either of both ways. I'd go with C++ as my favourite (my infamous hack was written in C++). It would surely require a disassembler/debugger like OllyDBG and someone that knows how to use it and just generally a sharp mind.

When you want to trace the packets sent from game to server, server to game, wireshark is sufficient