Questions: Linux client

Yorick

Hi,

Will there be a Linux client available within a short time? Now I'd use wine for using Origin, but that will result in warnings at the game hosters (the warning tells the hoster that I've got modified files, and that I can be a cheater...).

Let me know.

Thank you on behalf!

Kind Regards,

Yorick

Isnt it lagging with wine?

No it isn't. A littlebit buggy only.

Will there be a Linux client available within a short time?

Lol, there will NEVER be a Linux client.

There are iOS clients for serval games, and iOS is also based on Unix either. Linux is also growing, so I don't know why there will not be a client for Linux... But I then I've to use wine or VMWare Workstation if this will not happen.

Someone has to create a PlayOnLinux script yet. Besides that, the Yuri's Revenge client has not been tested on linux yet by the creator. The other games should work fine though, I used to test everything on wine to make sure it runs as it should. All the installers (besides Yuri's Revenge) even detect linux and apply the needed .dll overrides for wine automatically.

You'll have to wait for Rampastring to answer since he is taking care of the Yuri's Revenge client, maybe he knows what could be causing the modified files error

Sorry, but I run Windows and cannot support Linux right now, maybe I'll change my mind if Linux market share increases. Anyway, according to grant- the client works on Macs (with Crossover), so I'd expect it to work on Linux as well.

Btw, as an out-of-topic side note, ARM iOS isn't comparable to any desktop x86 operating system. Yuri's Revenge can never work on iOS due to the difference in architechture.

Tiberian Sun runs fine using Wine (I play daily on a Fedora machine) with no issues.

Yes Wine works perfect for all the CNCNET clients, but the RA2 YR has some issues with the client. The text in the client is unreadable, so I have to hover it with my mouse to know what kind of option it is. This is a little issue, but I was just curious about the Linux client either. I've installed VMware Workstation with accelerated 3-D enabled, so I'll hope that this will be the best solution to play your services without any problems.

Thanks for the replies.

If ya'll can run the games and cheats and whatever just fine using wine... why can't you also run the client with wine?  :rolleyes:

What has cheats to do with me and wine!? Wine causes warnings with that i do have modified files, which i dont have... So if this can be fixed, I will be thankfull.... Because I dont want to risk a ban.

If you can already run the client on Linux, then why the hell do you want a Linux client?

The fact that the client marks Linux users as cheaters just shows the poor quality of the client. No-one here has the expertise to make a Linux client anyway.

To be honest I doubt that the client marks you as a potential cheater because you're running Linux, or if it does, it's because of a combination of running Linux and something else. We have both Mac and other Linux players who have no issues.

Oh, and don't worry; you won't get banned because of the message. It might just mean that others don't want to play games with you because they see that you're a potential cheater.

To be honest I doubt that the client marks you as a potential cheater because you're running Linux, or if it does, it's because of a combination of running Linux and something else. We have both Mac and other Linux players who have no issues.

Oh, and don't worry; you won't get banned because of the message. It might just mean that others don't want to play games with you because they see that you're a potential cheater.

Hi,

I've installed Origin and your client on this wine install, nothing else. So it has to be something to do with the software of cncnet. It's verry frustrating that everyone kicks me, because of this bug.

Have you tried an "Origin + CNCNET" in wine install by yourself?

UPDATE: It seems like the issues caused by the next error (in the log):

.NET v4 installation check failed, message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This only will be shown when I use .NET 3.5 . I've tried .NET 4 and .NET 4.5, but the client will be buggy (I'd get a flashing screen). Is there a reason why it doesn't work with .NET 3.5?